Cities: Skylines

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

thphwh
Director
Director

Cities: Skylines

Post by thphwh »

From the same developers as CiM, Cities: Skylines is a new city building game due to be released on 10th March. Looks to be in the same vein of SimCity with some aspects of CiM. Seems to be really promising, at least compared and looking back to SimCity 5 (in fact, the SimCity studio was closed a few days ago). It looks to focus on urban planning, services, road planning and public transportation. Suprised no one around here has mentioned it. I am currently abstaining from preordering, although I am very tempted. I just don't want to pay twenty pounds to buy a beta *cough* Train Fever *cough*. I would recommend you watch a couple of youtube videos or twitch streams to check it out.

Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Cities: Skylines

Post by Emperor Jake »

I'm also looking forward to this game, it should be better than the bugfest that was Cities XL and the gimped SimCity 5. Here's one of my favourite youtubers playing it:

Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I've refrained from most of the Cities Skylines videos on YouTube simply due to the voice of the female narrator. Her Finnish English is awful and I simply cannot concentrate. Ugh.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

90% metacritic, holy crap

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Well, it just seems to do everything basically right. It's a bit of a "back to the basics" city builder (+modding), so nobody has any huge complaints. But it's not particularly innovative. Also, it's pretty cheap for a new game ^^

I'll probably get it sooner or later.
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

To me (and I've only played an hour or so so far) it just feels like a slightly more cumbersome version of SimCity 2013, but without the evil DRM.
Formerly known as Lachie
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Reading discussions on this game is hilarious.

"Even in newly built neighborhoods with no education access people keep geting educated

I need lumberjacks damnit"

"Accidentally connected sewage to water supply, 3/4 of the city drank their feces and died"

"there's this one house that has garbage problems while literally every other house in the city doesn't"

"^must be hoarders"

"wow i had no idea how great the dynamic the water physics were until i built a dam
and accidentally flooded my entire city"

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc ... 896B455C6/

"So not only this game destroys Simcity in every possible way, but it even shows
Battlefield 4 how to do Levolution.."

Mod support is huge though. People making first person mods and such. Very powerful apparently.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

In my agricultural areas I closed all the schools, needed uneducated workers. It's a pretty fun game so far, I had a bit of fun with dams too.
Formerly known as Lachie
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Yes, dams are evil. I save before building them ^^; Either it submerges the dam, or the map. Although now I've succeeded ...
... but green energy is a bit too "good".

The game overall is really easy. I make tons of money, have barely any pollution, no criminals whatsoever, traffic runs smoothly, people are happy ...
...well. Some pics.
http://i61.tinypic.com/1jrku1.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/4fxwy1.jpg
Boring squares, but they simply are built quickest ;p
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Then again, pop16K is apparently earlygame.

-Drury
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Yes, of course. It's mainly traffic that obviously gets worse the bigger your cities grow, but I don't suspect that anything else will really change. Most of those buildings on the screens are already at max level - it's not like I'll need to do great changes there. ^^;
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Looks like an interesting game, but I have the feeling with most city-builders that you are a bit limited in the path to growth, deviate too much and your financial situation just collapse. How is that with this game?
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

As it's right now I'd say it's like OpenTTD - as long as you don't go too crazy or you're not using some mods to make things more expensive you won't bankrupt. I don't think I'm doing anything particularly amazing and cash nonetheless comes in faster than I build, and I'm playing on speed 1 ... ^^
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

http://a.pomf.se/mjetuf.webm

It's like a gigantic Hot Wheels track.

-Drury
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

My latest city, and some engine weirdness.
Attachments
2015-03-19_00003.jpg
(670.42 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
2015-03-19_00001.jpg
(593.52 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Formerly known as Lachie
teccuk
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by teccuk »

Lachie wrote:My latest city, and some engine weirdness.
That's really lovely.

Had a play but just got frustrated. It's too fiddly (says the ottd player).

I'll try agian over the weekend.
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

I've already sat behind my laptop, Steam open, ready to buy this. But I haven't because I feel I should play SC4 first.

Probably won't and end up buying it anyway. Game looks, feels and breathes awesome.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Fair game - while you can go crazy when your populations are still low due to cost overruns, after a while things can run unnoticed - just that you need to fulfill the RCI demands and add more infrastructure, add services. And when new things are available sometimes you'll need to take a benefit from that. Something that frustate me a bit is the sewage and water pipes - you can't cross or connect them, so careful placing schemes are needed !

Granted my traffic levels are still low through - but as one way road seems to work very well in the game, I think I can make them all one way one day, without touching four and six lane roads...

Something that I love - a change takes time to be noticed, but not for too long ! Kind of realistic yet enjoyable.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

YNM wrote:Something that frustate me a bit is the sewage and water pipes - you can't cross or connect them, so careful placing schemes are needed !
What? That's not true ^^;

The longer you play, the more problems become obvious. Well. Let's see what they still make of the game =)
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

-Drury

Return to “Off-Topic”