Windows 10 Discussion

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

kamnet

Re: Windows 10 coming soon!!

Post by kamnet »

I've been using it for several months now. MUCH faster, less resource intensive than Chrome. After trying it for a week I moved everything over.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I'm still using Firefox, more as a force of habit than anything else. At work, we have Macbooks so I run Chrome there.

Is it worth going for Edge?
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Edge is based on Chrome. Apparently you can even use Chrome extensions and apps. If you have used Chrome for your daily browsing then there's probably not much different past slight UI differences.

I've been using Firefox for a long time, only recently do I use ungoogled-chromium as well for a few things. I can't tell for Edge in depth but the reason I'm specifically looking for ungoogled-chromium was that it doesn't do much of the Google services integration; although I'll say that it's very resource-intensive, esp. for video and stream playback (as probably expected from Chrome/Chromium). If Microsoft's version does better in performance and it doesn't do much in the integrations then it might be a solid browser to use if you don't have (or don't want to waste) the space to install another browser.

On my Android phone I've come across Kiwi Browser, it's basically Chrome but much, much lighter.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Other major browsers today based on the open source Chromium project are Brave, Opera, Samsung's default browser and for Kindle users, Amazon Silk.

Honestly Edge probably isn't the best browser, but it's lighter on its feet, than Chrome works very well and as you say, takes extensions from either the Microsoft Store or from the Chrome Web Store. I no longer feel the urge to immediately install Firefox (my preferred alternative) right away.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
YNM wrote: 01 Feb 2021 17:24 If you have used Chrome for your daily browsing then there's probably not much different past slight UI differences.
… and the recipient of your usage data.

I do not like the UI of Edge because it's IMHO to minimised. Beside that it's the n-th Chromium-based browser. I use Firefox and for website testing and every when and then tasks Chromium or Vivaldi (also a Chromium-based browser).

Tschö, Auge
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I tried edge, but once again found it lacking, and nearly immediately went back to Chrome, and uninstalled Edge. Although I have noticed Microsoft pulling their oft-used sneaking it back in when Windows updates, a long with other 'default' applications that come with stock Windows but can be safely removed from the system.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

I've made the jump to Brave, which is Chromium but with much better privacy controls and Googly bits removed.
Last known as: Weirdy
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Auge wrote: 02 Feb 2021 11:57
YNM wrote: 01 Feb 2021 17:24If you have used Chrome for your daily browsing then there's probably not much different past slight UI differences.
Yeah, your data would probably go to Microsoft, but to start with you already is in Microsoft hands by using Windows and whatever loopholes they might have.
Auge wrote: 02 Feb 2021 11:57Beside that it's the n-th Chromium-based browser.
This honestly is the most bleak problem with web browsers these days... Google pretty much only allows you to log-in using either Safari or Firefox-based or Chromium-based browsers (plus IE but IE is terrible to begin with). I once tried LXQt and the distro-maintained Falkon Browser and it doesn't allow me to log into my account for whatever reason. (probably why they ship off with Firefox as default, despite being heavier.)
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

I only realized this now, but here are the previews for the 21H1 update :

Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 21286

The thing that caught most of my attention :
[+] Spoiler
Introducing news and interests on the taskbar

With news and interests on the Windows taskbar, you get quick access to an integrated feed of dynamic content such as news and weather that updates throughout the day.
News and interests on the Windows taskbar gives you quick access to an integrated feed of dynamic content such as news and weather that updates throughout the day.
[+] Spoiler
You can personalize your feed with relevant content tailored for you. Instead of switching between apps or your PC and phone to stay up to date with the news and interests you care about – seamlessly peek into your feed directly from the taskbar anytime you want throughout your day.
Showing news and interests on the taskbar with the flyout of content just for you.
I'm not really interested in the news part, but the weather indication would be nice to have. Ever since I don't look at my phone as much it's something I wish I have in the background of my desktop... and while Rainmeter still exists and works well, most skin versions that I have seen is really intrusive for my liking, and the good old Enigma skin isn't maintained anymore (had a screenshot of it when I had it set up briefly). There's a similar widget on KDE already and ever since having it I've always wished for Windows to also feature them, as well as the trash bin in the toolbar thing.

Oh, and if it's any relevant to the Edge browser discussions, the widget will apparently use the Edge engine... so one will need it installed for it to work.
Last edited by YNM on 10 Feb 2021 10:06, edited 2 times in total.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I probably won't use the news as much, especially if it contains as much advertising as Bing News does. Ugh. But the weather? YES! I'm a weather junkie. I miss having a decent, low CPU/RAM app that just tells me what the weather is at a glance and doesn't sell me advertising or give away all my user data.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

kamnet wrote: 08 Feb 2021 22:22 I probably won't use the news as much, especially if it contains as much advertising as Bing News does. Ugh. But the weather? YES! I'm a weather junkie. I miss having a decent, low CPU/RAM app that just tells me what the weather is at a glance and doesn't sell me advertising or give away all my user data.
I miss the gadgets/widgets Windows Vista had. I used to have a GPU/CPU usage meter & weather widget on my desktop at all times.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Have you guys tried RainMeter?
Last known as: Weirdy
Greyfox
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Windows 10 Discussion

Post by Greyfox »

Windows 10 discussion here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72527
Looking for AMI trains, Chicago Locomotive Works, etc: You'll find your needs here: http://www.locomotiondepot.net/
Here's another: http://www.walter1940.de Lots of interesting stuff on this site, including tutorials.
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I've been running it on my laptop since the dev channel release and I'm happy so far. It's like a big update for Win10 if I'm honest.
bjgttd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bjgttd »

Greyfox wrote: 25 Jun 2021 06:55 Windows 11 is about to arrive
Didn't they declare that Windows 10 was going to be "the last Windows"? :lol:
mak
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mak »

Yes they did but no particular worries, Windows 10 is will be supported to 2025 (so they say)
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

bjgttd wrote: 08 Jul 2021 14:38 Didn't they declare that Windows 10 was going to be "the last Windows"? :lol:
They also said Flight Simulator 2020 would be good.

Generally, with Microsoft, the "fool me twice, shame on me" principle is in full effect.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I look forward to Windows 11 but as of now I don't have any hardware that will run it. My laptop is 10 years old and my desktop is 13 years old. They'll be stuck on Windows 10 unless I switch over to a Linux of some sort, which at this point probably won't kill me since I have nothing left to run that is Windows-specific.
Challenger007
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Challenger007 »

Auge wrote: 02 Feb 2021 11:57 Hello
YNM wrote: 01 Feb 2021 17:24 If you have used Chrome for your daily browsing then there's probably not much different past slight UI differences.

I do not like the UI of Edge because it's IMHO to minimised. Beside that it's the n-th Chromium-based browser. I use Firefox and for website testing and every when and then tasks Chromium or Vivaldi (also a Chromium-based browser).

Tschö, Auge
Microsoft's default browser annoys me. Chrome and Firefox are much more convenient, faster and more functional, in my opinion.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

kamnet wrote: 29 Jul 2021 03:35 I look forward to Windows 11 but as of now I don't have any hardware that will run it. My laptop is 10 years old and my desktop is 13 years old. They'll be stuck on Windows 10 unless I switch over to a Linux of some sort, which at this point probably won't kill me since I have nothing left to run that is Windows-specific.
I don't like at all ...

Windows 8 was bad and then they tried with 8.1, giving us an inch .... then 10 was worse by miles.
Remember how they forced it on you by shady tactics? <- read: the shady auto-'upgrade' they forced on us unless you removed that crap update
I really have no hopes for microsoft to be doing better any time soon ... really ... you can only install 11 unless you conform to their rules and have TMP on your system or just bugger off?

I am still using win 7 pro and when that stops working I'll be back to using linux exlusively or no more interwebs at all ... I've grown old enough to say "f*** it, I don't need this s*** !!!"

How can you be fine with being tracked all the time and having all your stuffs controlled by companies you don't even know all that well? There is nothing to gain only to lose ...
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.

Return to “Off-Topic”