RollerCoaster Tycoon World announced

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

S-Transport
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: RollerCoaster Tycoon World announced

Post by S-Transport »

Purno wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:Awh. It's fully 3D again, was hoping they'd go back to retroy RCT1/2 style graphics :(
3D isn't necessarily a bad thing. But RCT3 had the most crappy interface that massively confused me.
S-Transport wrote:I have only played RCT I, III and the reprobate fourth one. What are actually the differences between RCT I and RCT II?
I think the most notable feature in RCT II is that it lets you build scenery and items on higher levels, giving you the possibility to build your scenery in three dimensions rather than only two.

For example this screenshot I found at google;
That entire building is built up from very small pieces of scenery.

And of course RCT II adds even more rides and scenery items. But it's basically the same game as RCT I. TBH I'd say RCT I doesn't offer anything RCT II doesn't offer.
Good to know.
Greetings, S-Transport
My pictures
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

The main reason I play RCT1 more than RCT2 is that I like the idea of a progressive, unlockable campaign as opposed to having all levels unlocked from the start. There's something satisfying about working your way down through the list in RCT1.

Other than that, I agree with the above about better scenery etc.
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Bad Hair Day wrote:Kind of sceptical if I'm honest. While I found RCT3 enjoyable (particularly riding the rides), it doesn't have quite the same amount of staying power as RCT2. The gameplay of RCT2 with the graphics to bring it into the modern age would be ideal in my opinion, though I doubt that's what we'll get.

Regardless, I'll probably buy it anyway out of fanboy loyalty. Which is why the industry gets away with making bad games.
My main issue with RCT3 is that the game is very poorly optimised. Try filling a park with the level of detail that you could with RCT 1 and 2 and it will soon come crawling to a halt. You can literally have a park with not one square empty in RCT 1/2, but try that level of detailing or theming or even just packing stuff in with RCT3 and it falls over.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

New info+screenshots

I really wanted to cherrypick the best part but it's difficult, good news scattered all across the article. This might be it, I'm holding my breath.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

They definitely seem to have honest, good intentions. Of course that doesn't mean the game will turn out to be great, but it's a start ... ;)
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Late to the punch again!

I've been following the developments on Facebook, and I have to say I like what I'm seeing. When they said there was a new PC version (before the release of RCT4, which we all know was Farmville repackaged), I knew it had to be good. I have high hopes for this one; it looks like a decent blend of RCT3 graphics and RCT1/2 gameplay.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Y'know, after watching some of the reviews about RCT4M, I don't know why people are upset about it. It's like they intentionally don't want to like the game. I've sat through a dozen or so of them and all the reviewer does is constantly trash how it's like Facebook or they despise in-app purchases, or complain about how they don't understand how to play the game or use the interface after admitting they didn't even bother to read the instructions because they were in a rush to review the game.

Form what I've seen, RCT4M is played almost exactly how I played RCT2 - I like to place rides and make things look pretty and then see what the characters have to say. I don't like spending hours trying to calculate every curve and spin in building the world's deadliest coaster. Give me a good track design and let me theme it.
Dave

Post by Dave »

In app purchases are the devil though. Wait 20 minutes to build the next piece of coaster. Yawn.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Born Acorn wrote: You can literally have a park with not one square empty in RCT 1/2, .
What?! I could never manage this. In RCT2 there is a hardcoded limit for everything, mainly because it was written in 8bit from the groundup. So there is a rather annoying limit of things. It's also not one you can get around, as its the game itself coded in 8-bit. So unless anyone recodes RCT2 in its entirity in something higher than 8 bit... (Which I would personally pay for, far more than I would for any of its sequels, or RCT like games! - maybe something for me to look into)

Screenshot shows just how big i could get it before running to max attraction limit.
Attachments
SCR2.jpg
(526.96 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Dave wrote:In app purchases are the devil though. Wait 20 minutes to build the next piece of coaster. Yawn.
In app purchases aren't too bad, as long as a free player can still have an enjoyable game. Unfortunately, most Facebook games tend to intentionally slow down progress for free players by adding wait times. That kind of in-app-purchases are indeed the devil.

Personally, I think a free-to-play RCT works by selling attractions and scenery as seperate DLCs, while keeping a very basic amount of attractions and scenery as free base. A model like this comes closer to the free-to-play models like World of Tanks and League of Legends (quite popular free-to-play games which have proven that the free-to-play-model works...).

Free to play isn't bad, as long as it's done well.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

kamnet wrote:Y'know, after watching some of the reviews about RCT4M, I don't know why people are upset about it. It's like they intentionally don't want to like the game. I've sat through a dozen or so of them and all the reviewer does is constantly trash how it's like Facebook or they despise in-app purchases, or complain about how they don't understand how to play the game or use the interface after admitting they didn't even bother to read the instructions because they were in a rush to review the game.

Form what I've seen, RCT4M is played almost exactly how I played RCT2 - I like to place rides and make things look pretty and then see what the characters have to say. I don't like spending hours trying to calculate every curve and spin in building the world's deadliest coaster. Give me a good track design and let me theme it.
As far as I can tell, all the stink is about the fact that people wanted exactly what they were already familiar with, hence the divide over RCT3. I personally didn't like the fact that the game is time-consuming but not that engaging after a while, much like Clash of Clans. My biggest problem is the fact that the park demands attention even when I can't be bothered to care. I'd rather save and come back.

My biggest hope for World is that it obeys the same basic physics of the first three games.

Also, I realize that a great many players were determined to crash their coasters in spectacular ways. I never did that; my designs were always carefully put together and I seldom used any preset designs (except for Shuttle Loop, which I modified and synchronized with a duplicate).
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Redirect Left wrote:
Born Acorn wrote: You can literally have a park with not one square empty in RCT 1/2, .
What?! I could never manage this. In RCT2 there is a hardcoded limit for everything, mainly because it was written in 8bit from the groundup. So there is a rather annoying limit of things. It's also not one you can get around, as its the game itself coded in 8-bit. So unless anyone recodes RCT2 in its entirity in something higher than 8 bit... (Which I would personally pay for, far more than I would for any of its sequels, or RCT like games! - maybe something for me to look into)

Screenshot shows just how big i could get it before running to max attraction limit.
Does that include scenery objects? Still, maxing out both in RCT 1/2 would still give RCT 3 a run for its money FPS wise.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

A moderator double posting? Sorry, but I wanted to bring something to the fore:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... post509314

It looks like separately from RCT4, Frontier, who made RCT3, are working on a new release of it.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Born Acorn wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:

Does that include scenery objects? Still, maxing out both in RCT 1/2 would still give RCT 3 a run for its money FPS wise.
Yes. There is a sprite limit, if you have a lot of sprites, the number of guests in your park goes down to accomodate for it. The number is quite ridiculously high though, believe it'll likely be an 8 or 16 bit typical limit.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Born Acorn wrote:A moderator double posting? Sorry, but I wanted to bring something to the fore:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... post509314

It looks like separately from RCT4, Frontier, who made RCT3, are working on a new release of it.
Uh oh, looks like competition!

Though I can't complain; competition means quicker releases and more effort put into making the game well.
Nathanxbox20
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nathanxbox20 »

Born Acorn wrote:https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... post509314

Honestly, I feel like RCT World isn't going to be as good as RCT2. It is just going to lack Chris Sawyer's touch. I feel the same way about Frontier's "new" RCT3. That was my problem with the original RTC3.
I'm not normal. Because normal is stupid. And stupid is normal.
Life has no respawns.
A Locomotion, BeamNG.drive, and OpenTTD enthusiast and amateur photographer. Also getting into model railroading.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I always feel Chris' games are more a labour of love than a profit endeavor.

Anybody can incorporate a company, go get a business loan, hire a bunch of guys and make a game - but he did most of the heavy lifting on his own, only using freelancers for the parts he couldn't.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I couldn't agree more, and as an unbiased diehard RCT fan who accepted RCT3 at a young age I can say that I'm looking forward to it and I'm sure I'll love it.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Born Acorn wrote:I always feel Chris' games are more a labour of love than a profit endeavor.
and if it had stayed that way, I have no doubt RCT3 would be a lot more playable, but for me, the '3D' era of RCT games ruined the franchise for me, I'd love for them to remake RCT2 using todays modern engines, but keeping traditional isometric views.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Return to “Off-Topic”