Factorio - Sci-fi factory building, management and combat

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Chrill

Re: Factorio - Sci-fi factory building, management and comba

Post by Chrill »

Transportman wrote:
Chrill wrote:You all post rave reviews of this, such as "Bye life". I might even have to join in. I like the factory and management side of this, not so much the alien invasion idea.
You can disable alien attacks, and there are mods to get the alien artifacts you need for some things without having to fight aliens for it.
Thanks, Drury and Transportman. I guess this is a must-test then!
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

I just got back into it after trying it about a year ago after hearing about it here.

Now that there is multiplayer it is pretty amazing.

The Factorio wiki mentions Openttd repeatly when referencing the signal system, as it was borrowed from openttd.

I haven't tried the trains yet, but I can't wait.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

http://i.imgur.com/lh2DyrO.png

Not my screenshot, but something I think might be fun to do on my main save. Trains aren't perfect, but you can couple/decouple them and manually drive them so even if this doesn't make much more sense than OpenTTD (automatic 3-car trains is all you'll ever need, you can put anything into the one type of car available) you at least have the fun of sorting your stuff into trains the proper way.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

Tip: If your multiplayer server stops working, reset your modem and router, the p2p handler leaves bad packets along the line and clogs the ports.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Apparently they brought an OpenTTD modder aboard, I wonder which one of you

gentlemen

that would be.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
robo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Factorio - Sci-fi factory building, management and combat

Post by robo »

Version 12.20 is stable now. I'm still learning the game. :)
The chain signals can be quite tricky sometimes in situation like on the screenshot, but I solved all problems somehow. The (chain-)signals are definitely harder to understand compared to locomotion.
Both systems have advantages and disadvantages. If you take locomotion, the use of signals is always clear, but there are situations where trains block each other. Locomotion solves this problem in the way that trains can turn backwards automatically after a short waiting time, but you always get some "lost" trains (which can be part of the fun sometimes).
Factorio is different. Trains simple stop if they block each other, but there are advanced (chain-)signals to avoid these situations. The pathfinding is improved, something which can get in conflict with signals. Sometimes you can see trains that can't reach their destination and stop, although the track before them is free and signals are green, but they suddenly move again if you find the problem somewhere on the way to their destination. Usually you need only to replace some signals or change the tracklayout
The map I currently play is manually painted with the editor and quite small (512x320), after I finished all the aliens on the islands with a tank I can now develop my railroad network and the rocket station.
Attachments
factorio signals.jpg
(583.06 KiB) Not downloaded yet
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

As most of you probably know it's been recently released on Steam, currently sporting the highest rating of all games. The latest release seems pretty stable as well, and the base version includes the scenarios previously only available to one tier up.

Also, it's still amazing fun to play. I've recently been watching some series on it (aside from playing it myself) and can recommend for one the Four Fellows Factorio series with Steejo, Shen, Arumba and Bentham - which really is hilarious from time to time.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Somebody built a wye out of necessity/stupidity, but it looks sexy

https://gfycat.com/InsistentInexperienc ... lbutterfly

-Drury
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

That looks really good actually, although this really is a matter of using dedicated trains or multipurpose ones. But I love the tightness of the design.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Might be to prevent other trains from using it as a turning point or detour if some tracks directly ahead are blocked.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Dave

Post by Dave »

I've got this on my laptop but the creaky bugger - now 6 years old - sounds like it's about to take off if I do anything complicated! I do like the game though.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Version 0.13 has been released earlier this week. I have not yet have the time to try it, but the list of changes is impressive.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

So many train changes, this is amazing. They added TTD-type wait orders for trains, so they can wait for a specific load and such. Circuit network is completely new and awesome, you can connect rail signals and train stops to it and have pretty much a full control of the whole logic, you can make for instance rail crossings that open and close gates when trains go by. They changed the train graphics, now they have actual swiveling bogies and the actual railcars open and close when being loaded and unloaded, they're also spaced out correctly according to grid so train stations are much easier to design and work identically both horizontally and vertically. There's a new train GUI, also TTD-style, where you have a list of trains showing their positions on the worldmap in real time, and when you click them it gives you that TTD-type train window where you see the actual train cruising and various tabs with details on it. from where you can also recolor them with RGB sliders. Rail building is much better now, they ditched the rail curve piece as a separate item and now you just click and point where you want the rails to go, and they curve themselves to get there. They also added a new type of inserter, stack inserter, that can pick up 12 items at once and put them down on the belt in one go, meaning you can load and unload saturated blue belts in real time, a huge buff for trains. Stack bonus also applies to regular inserters in this fashion as well, buffing them also. Trains are also faster I believe, and can take rocket fuel now, which depletes very slowly.

And that's all just trains, they added all sorts of cool stuff like achievements, server list, mod portal, reworked flamethrowers, flamethrower turret, balanced early/midgame science, landfill... The changelog is like 300 lines long, it's crazy.

EDIT: Oh of course, that's not all for train features. When you build train stops, it shows you where exactly will the train stop, and where the railcars will go, so you know exactly where to put your inserters, this also shows up when you have an actual inserter in your hand. And similarly, when you build signals, it shows you both all available spots for them, and where the trains will stop at them.

-Drury
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Oh hell...
Attachments
FactorioIsland.png
FactorioIsland.png (518.25 KiB) Viewed 7382 times
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Sylf wrote:Oh hell...
How to still get 100+ hours out of the save:

Mine out all the copper.

-Drury
Dave

Post by Dave »

I think I can top the above!
Attachments
err.png
err.png (553.18 KiB) Viewed 7199 times

Flickr

Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

Goal: catch 100 fish.
Dave

Post by Dave »

As you will have seen I've ventured into freeform for the first time. I don't really enjoy the combat element of the campaign but understand you need the alien artefacts you get from enemy bases to craft the very advanced stuff late on.

This lot grew up very much on an "as needed" basis, so it's very messy. I've rationalised the power lines with the metal poles and changed a few things, but I'm enjoying it. Next is rationalising the research production.

I never got far into the campaign due to my total ineptitude at fighting the biters, so enjoying finding out new bits of tech and research to fiddle with.
Attachments
factorioff.png
factorioff.png (1.84 MiB) Viewed 1148 times

Flickr

Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Here's a tip, if you're looking for any: You only need two belts for the labs. You can connect one belt to the side of another to have all it's items on only one half of the main belt.

Kinda like this. Might want to still keep some space for the second belt since there are 4 types of science packs.

-Drury

Return to “Off-Topic”