RollerCoaster Tycoon for mobile?

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

ACM
Engineer
Engineer

Re: RollerCoaster Tycoon for mobile?

Post by ACM »

This looks worse in every concievable way to the first Roller Coaster Tycoon; and conceptually and aesthetically on par with Theme Park. Why should anyone pick up this instead of revising the classic games; and arguably get a much better experience? And don't tell me this is all necessary to fit on mobiles. — Roller Coaster Tycoon had to run on hardware from 15 years ago. — Certainly, compact processors have sufficiently advanced since then. There's no excuse any more for mobile developers to continue producing these dumb-as-s*** mini-"experiences".
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

ACM wrote:This looks worse in every concievable way to the first Roller Coaster Tycoon; and conceptually and aesthetically on par with Theme Park. Why should anyone pick up this instead of revising the classic games; and arguably get a much better experience? And don't tell me this is all necessary to fit on mobiles. — Roller Coaster Tycoon had to run on hardware from 15 years ago. — Certainly, compact processors have sufficiently advanced since then. There's no excuse any more for mobile developers to continue producing these dumb-as-s*** mini-"experiences".
One proof of mobile phones being capable of actual games would be Locomotion. Or Transport Tycoon Mobile as I should perhaps call it. It runs happily on my 2-year old smartphone.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

ACM wrote:There's no excuse any more for mobile developers to continue producing these dumb-as-s*** mini-"experiences".
What, exactly, is wrong with the RCT4M demo? Where is it any different than RCT or RCT2?
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Chrill wrote:One proof of mobile phones being capable of actual games would be Locomotion. Or Transport Tycoon Mobile as I should perhaps call it. It runs happily on my 2-year old smartphone.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. I've nothing but good things to say about TTM, so my hopes are high. It offers us a clone of the original game with the benefit of updates when needed. I can only hope that this is a similar game.

I wasn't aware that there was an actual demo out yet; where can it be found?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Zakos wrote:I wasn't aware that there was an actual demo out yet; where can it be found?

Based off the promo video here.

Noticed on the front page of rollercoastertycoon.com "(c) 2014 Chris Sawyer." So it appears that Mr. Sawyer has once again retained control of his two most-known franchises, and has made nice with Atari to allow them to publish it again.

Also found this post on their FB page:
RCT4 FB Feed wrote:We hear everyone’s comments on the new RollerCoaster Tycoon game and want to let you all know that the mobile game and PC experience will be 2 completely different games. Both games will release this year. The mobile game will include social features (sharing with friends, leaderboards) and the PC experience will have even more features and functionality. We are excited to bring these games to you soon!
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

kamnet wrote:Noticed on the front page of rollercoastertycoon.com "(c) 2014 Chris Sawyer." So it appears that Mr. Sawyer has once again retained control of his two most-known franchises, and has made nice with Atari to allow them to publish it again.
Isn't he supposed to be retired?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I'm assuming that the "retirement" was due to Chris' legal issues with Atari over royalties, and he just chose to lay low until the lawyers got it all sorted out.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

Kamnet wrote: Noticed on the front page of rollercoastertycoon.com "(c) 2014 Chris Sawyer." So it appears that Mr. Sawyer has once again retained control of his two most-known franchises, and has made nice with Atari to allow them to publish it again.
That is not what I have been reading ...
http://www.pockettactics.com/news/ios-n ... -tycoon-4/
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

If the page is right and the copyright is retained by Mr. Sawyer, the only way Atari could publish it is if they came to an agreement to publish and distribute his copyrighted material. That doesn't mean he has to be involved in any of the production, or even be happy about it. It simply means he owns the copyright, gets ultimate decision as to whether or not it gets published, and collect payment.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

kamnet wrote:
ACM wrote:There's no excuse any more for mobile developers to continue producing these dumb-as-s*** mini-"experiences".
What, exactly, is wrong with the RCT4M demo? Where is it any different than RCT or RCT2?
Well, from the footage of the rollercoasters a lot of them seem impossible - a second hill as big as the first; in the first games that was a big no no since the trains would not have enough momentum. So, in the mobile version it looks like you just plonk down any sort of track and the trains will make it around anyway.

I imagine the mobile game is more for a "building" experience in the way of FarmVille or Simpsons Tapped Out, and not so much a "strategy" game where design and placement is important.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I took note of that as well, and I drew two possible conclusions: The first matches yours, and the second (which I hope was the case) is that the testers were incompetent. It might be one of those coaster-building games where any hill that doesn't let the train over the top becomes a new lift hill. I hate those.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

It's just been released! I've only just played a few minutes of it, but it looks like Clash of Clans or Farmville.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Zakos wrote:(...)but it looks like Clash of Clans or Farmville.
Oh. Definitely sounds promising... :shock:
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I just had to upgrade a Ferris wheel. I'm a little confused....
thphwh
Director
Director

Post by thphwh »

It has become a full circle. The tycoon game that kicked the genre off, now degraded into what the genre has become.

We can only hope that the PC version isn't a pile of steaming pay-to -win, and is the RCT 4 we have been waiting for. This gives me a little strength.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I agree, though I can't conceive a PC game that would act like Farmville.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

RCT4M was released for Android a few days ago. Downloaded it, I'm mostly happy so far, but I'm not sure if I've hit a bug or I just don't understand. I can't figure out how to build my own coaster. Clicking on the "Help" button results in no action.

Early reviews seem to indicate that the game crashes when you try to rename coasters and other attractions.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

It was very buggy overall when I played it. Most of my rides wouldn't load so a good chuck of the park was empty, though I still made money.

You can't build your own? I'm pretty sure you just scroll through the track designs and it'll be at the beginning or the end of the list for that coaster type.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

The option to build one is there, yes. But selecting each track piece, I can't figure that out. I see a 5-way D-Pad that shows up in the bottom-left side of the screen. I can select which way the track will go (left, right, straight, up at two different degrees), but I can't actually figure out how to build that piece of track. If I tap on the highlighted/blinking piece itself, it simply swaps me from zoomed-in or zoomed-out mode.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Maybe tap the pad again? I forgot how to do it.

Return to “Off-Topic”