Mini Metro

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Mini Metro

Post by Redirect Left »

VIPStephan wrote:The biggest challenge is the limited capacity of the rail cars now.
Feh, if I was bad at it before, now i'm utterly useless, and yet I still can't stop playing it ;__;
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

347 with the new system.

I'm proud of my random-point-connecting ability.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Alright its irritating me now, what sort of tactics do you guys employ to achieve high scores? I assume i'm going wrong by upgrading to two cars per line, instead of station capacity?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

Redirect Left wrote:Alright its irritating me now, what sort of tactics do you guys employ to achieve high scores? I assume i'm going wrong by upgrading to two cars per line, instead of station capacity?
I don't think so. I always make loops. Always, even if it results in one silly line on one side of the river. I try and keep the number stations on each line equal, double stations up as much as possible, and try not to put too many of the same station type on the same line. And I've always chosen to build new lines.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Pingaware wrote:And I've always chosen to build new lines.
Hm. I might be going wrong there then, i often chose to extend current lines, and put extra carriages on them.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Redirect Left wrote:Alright its irritating me now, what sort of tactics do you guys employ to achieve high scores? I assume i'm going wrong by upgrading to two cars per line, instead of station capacity?
I don't do that, seems... Inefficient, I just can't explain how exactly. I prefer to build new lines.

At first build two short main lines, one of which goes to the other side of the river. You want to have 3 stations max on those, so the trains frequently visit the heavy central stations.

Then you want to spare the cars for building new lines, and you want to build in such a way that the heavily loaded stations have multiple lines going through them. These are generally longer, 5 stations is about ok.

When things get critical, a good tactic is to abandon some lighter lines and build additional short 3 station long ones. Somehow building multiple railcars on a single line doesn't seem to do the trick nearly as effectively.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Ploes
President
President

Post by Ploes »

Got a 386 by following some of Drury hints.

Whats funny is it came to an end on the brown line, which only covers 3 stops!

I'm also not sure that the symbols mean that much, as watching it trains are missed by passengers with one symbol, to wait for a different train.
Maybe the symbols are just representational but everyone does had a particular destination. not just any matching symbol.

(Hope that makes sense to someone...)
Attachments
386_8.PNG
386_8.PNG (23.33 KiB) Viewed 3488 times
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Ploes wrote: I'm also not sure that the symbols mean that much
From what I have noticed, they wait for the next train that goes there directly, or failing that, they'll hop on a train, and then get off at the next station where a crossing line does go to that station symbol. Which if you don't take notice of, can lead to a large build up of people at the intermediate station. If no train / line is viable, they will ignore the train, and get it on the way back in the other direction.
VIPStephan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by VIPStephan »

Ploes wrote:Got a 386 by following some of Drury hints.

Whats funny is it came to an end on the brown line, which only covers 3 stops!
It came to an end because you connected the wrong stations. Passengers will always go for the closest station that is on the most direct way. I see a lot of triangles, a few pluses, and two squares there but the only line that served a square from there was the blue one, and the next triangle was two stations away which can be a problem with the limited passenger capacity, as you noticed.

You should have extended the brown line to the square and should have directed it via the triangle on the pink and green lines for the quickest transport. A general strategy is to have circles and triangles as alternately as possible because circles always produce triangle passengers and vice versa. If you have two circle stations in a row on a line, and then a triangle, the car can be full with passengers from that one circle without the possibility to unload and reload on the next circle. So, always have different stations one after another on a line as much as possible.

I’m getting around 500–700 now. It appears to be simpler to get into the fivehundreds now with more possible lines than before but there is a point from around 700 on where it becomes incredibly hard because stations fill up really quickly then.

Edit:

Arrrgh! Here we go…
minimetro.png
minimetro.png (21.98 KiB) Viewed 494 times

How can I make it display as image right here instead of as download link?
Ploes
President
President

Post by Ploes »

VIPStephan wrote:because circles always produce triangle passengers and vice versa.
You've clearly been playing and studying this more than I have! :lol:
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Toblerone fuelled attempt. Quite addictive this.
Attachments
minimetro.png
minimetro.png (22 KiB) Viewed 3333 times
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

Oh dear lord I hate you all for getting me hooked.
Attachments
mini.jpg
mini.jpg (270.01 KiB) Viewed 494 times
Andel
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Last known as: Weirdy
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

The Thorp of Boobs
Ruled by the mighty Señor

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

You really had to do this to me at this time in the morning, why?! :D
ACM
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ACM »

Beat this:
Attachments
minimetroalpha81060.png
minimetroalpha81060.png (25.29 KiB) Viewed 3225 times
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Managing to get up to 700 odds now. Limiting tunnels has definitely made it harder - and a right pain for new shapes that appear near the river or on the 'Isle of Dogs'.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

The worst thing is when you get an odd, less common shape a long way off. It's these that usually cause the end of the game as they require a lot of transfers to get to usually if they are served by one line. I try and serve them with two lines if possible.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Alpha9 is now released, and you can pre-order the game on the website for $3.99 (or $4.99 after offer) - includes all the OS builds, DRM free, and includes a Steam Key when available on steam.

THey've also posted about what they plan to add to final version, see below
Mini Metro site wrote:We're adding a lot into the release: procedural audio, infinite-play zen mode, leaderboards, multiple maps and themes based on real-world cities, a new interface, and more cool stuff.
VIPStephan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by VIPStephan »

Yeah, and the gameplay has changed yet again. I liked the upgrade-by-target system in alpha 8 better than the old week based system but with this version, despite the New York map being harder due to more water to cross, I’ve come to way above 1,000 points, yay!

Now look at this beauty:
minimetroalpha9.png
minimetroalpha9.png (48.67 KiB) Viewed 2898 times

Return to “Off-Topic”