Favourite Video Game Music

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Favourite Video Game Music

Post by Killer 11 »

SkeedR wrote:Homeworld Mission 3 will always get to me it seems.
Spoiler:
Yes that track is used in a really proper way in the game.

Though here's an unpopular opinion, Homeworld 2 Soundtrack is not only better than HW1's IMO but also I consider it to be one of the most unique and well made soundtracks in general. The decision to base everything on middle east influences REALLY worked out well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rFwaf2GaHE&t=76m8s

Gives me chills every single time and the whole Remastered Soundtrack sounds simply incredible.

Mind you some HW1 tracks almost make me flip back to HW1 beign the top dog here:

Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

SimCity 3000. A variety of styles, all classics and very fitting.

Playlist
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

At first thought it was really unpleasant, then it kind of grew on me.

Although this was a love at first sight:

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
vear
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by vear »

Both sound delicious. Nice ambient tunes for a lazy Sunday :mrgreen: I wouldn't even tell it's a game soundtrack if I hadn't known.
see my transportation photos on fotozajezdnia
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Yep, most of the tracks in the game actually became game soundtrack by simply being nice to listen to and fitting with the levels.

As a result, there's an unusually large variety of artists within. Makes you wonder how they manage the whole revenue sharing and vinyl releases.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

This game oozes surprises. For starters, it is an actual videogame with gameplay. Then, the gameplay is actually pretty good. Lastly, there's this music.

-Drury
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

My favorite tracks from the game

-Drury
Bad Hair Day
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bad Hair Day »

The first track of this.

Also a large portion of the VTM:B soundtrack.
My OpenTTD screenshot thread.

Formerly known as Lankku / 2-10-0
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Monkey Island 2 has a great soundtrack. There was a very good MT-32 recording online a while ago, I'm not sure if it's been taken down but you can probably find it on YouTube.

I also rather enjoyed the soundtracks to Age of Empires 1 and 2 (including their expansions) - perhaps they just bring back happy memories of playing those games, of course, but I do think they're pretty good. Hearing the first bits of this (57 seconds in) just takes me back to a villager standing next to a lonely town centre on a black map. Good times. :)

Finally, I believe there's this "Transport Tycoon" game that a few folk play that has a pretty good soundtrack. ;)

Oh, and I also quite liked the soundtrack to Lotus III: The Ultimate Challenge, a great 1991 racing game.
AAK
Chairman
Chairman

Post by AAK »

I love the Airport Tycoon 3 main menu music.

Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

dogvideogame

-Drury
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I've been rather obsessed with the HD remakes of Sonic 2 music.

MYSTIC RAVE ZONE :mrgreen:

Drury wrote:
My favorite tracks from the game
Yes. Very much yes.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Frank Klepacki, Command and Conquer composer, now with chiptunes. Amazing.

-Drury
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

So bizarre.

-Drury
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

you know how sometimes a song randomly pops up in your head and you have no idea what it's named and where you heard it and you have to pull a serious Colombo to find it, and then you do and it's pure bliss

-Drury
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

So I knew OTC's project lead Soren Johnson was the lead designer of Civ IV, but I had no idea they also had Christopher Tin, the Civ composer and Grammy winner with Baba Yetu, among other things.

Excellent everything on this game, ludosymphonic harmony included, whatever that means.

EDIT: Actually I'll tell you what that means, the gameplay and the music not only aren't at odds, they complement each other really well in real time. If you listen to the full OST, it sounds almost like one long continuous track that, at certain points, blows up and gets more intense. Since the game is a competitive RTS, it's played in 30 minute long matches which get more intense as the game progresses, raising the stakes and leaving less room for mistakes. In gameplay terms, the raising of the stakes happens when your HQ gets upgraded, which is also when the blowings up happen in the soundtrack.

-Drury

Return to “Off-Topic”