Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Euro Truck Simulator 2

Post by siu238X »

Chrill wrote:Having crossed into Norway, I made my way down to Kirkenes on small rural roads:
ets2_00244.png

From Kirkenes, I bordered a ferry to an island so far north that it's ridiculous. I was going to Svalbard and the only real village around, Longyearbyen (which does indeed mean "Long year town"):
ets2_00245.png
ets2_00246.png
ets2_00247.png

After arriving at Svalbard and making my delivery, I went back to Kirkenes and decided to go for a bit of a detour. I shouldn't have. I got stuck. Before that, I snapped this beautiful photo of a place where a large rig should never drive:
ets2_00262.png

I wonder would it be eternal night in Svalbard if I set the date to, say, November :P
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Probably, yes. ETS2 has a pretty advanced system for the sun, where it differs based on longitude. There is midnight sun up there, some of these photos I believe were taken around 1-2am. It's set for June sometime, I believe. The game could do with seasons!! :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Chrill wrote:After arriving at Svalbard and making my delivery, I went back to Kirkenes and decided to go for a bit of a detour. I shouldn't have. I got stuck. Before that, I snapped this beautiful photo of a place where a large rig should never drive:
ets2_00262.png
God that road is awful, picked a job on a tandem and unkowingly went there ! Wouldn't go again :shock: unless having either no trailers and/or stronger engine :lol:
siu238X wrote:I wonder would it be eternal night in Svalbard if I set the date to, say, November :P
Just install the winter weather mod - no sun !
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Free DLC for any of those who want it.
http://blog.scssoft.com/2017/01/michelin-fan-pack.html
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

Sorry to intrude, but I wondered who would be the best person to talk to in regard to custom trailer skins for ETS2?
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

So, ETS2 has a new feature, in particular for the Scandinavian region I believe, double trailers! This is gonna be fun, and a pain in the neck, to drive!
ets2_00007.png
(1.55 MiB) Not downloaded yet
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Pilot wrote:This is gonna be fun, and a pain in the neck, to drive!]
That depends on how patient and precise you are :lol:

I had a good patience test - driving a scania RJL short 8x4 taglift, lift axle steerable (reversed turning). I was carrying the short hopper thing. God it was awful - lift the rear axle and you can't steer well, so either crash at low speed or never built up one. Keep the rear axle and you roll crash when maneuvering even the slightest at high speed ! Had to keep 70 km/h max all the way from Italy to Russia. That chassis is cursed. Luckily that saves me from most cops lurking around and taught me to really obey the speed limit :mrgreen:
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

YNM wrote:
Pilot wrote:This is gonna be fun, and a pain in the neck, to drive!]

I had a good patience test - driving a scania RJL short 8x4 taglift, lift axle steerable (reversed turning). I was carrying the short hopper thing. God it was awful - lift the rear axle and you can't steer well, so either crash at low speed or never built up one. Keep the rear axle and you roll crash when maneuvering even the slightest at high speed ! Had to keep 70 km/h max all the way from Italy to Russia. That chassis is cursed. Luckily that saves me from most cops lurking around and taught me to really obey the speed limit :mrgreen:
Patience I define as a Scania 110 4x2, about 350bhp with a regular 22 ton load. Oh boy, an adventure at every onramp.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Doorslammer wrote:Patience I define as a Scania 110 4x2, about 350bhp with a regular 22 ton load. Oh boy, an adventure at every onramp.
That's more like patience from going to a shop and replace truck "just cause", not patience from maxing out speed and crash... I have those low-power engine times fine, mostly, as you don't crash anyway, just play it for much longer. But the ones I described are very close to hellish - you can easily speed up (yes it was a 750 bhp and the load is only like... 15t ?) but you just can't !
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

I still haven't worked out an effective use of retarders, which has caused me to not complete a trip from Oslo to Stavanger. Halfway along, got to a particular rainy section and... off it would fly. Really need to sort out a solution to that one.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Doorslammer wrote:I still haven't worked out an effective use of retarders, which has caused me to not complete a trip from Oslo to Stavanger. Halfway along, got to a particular rainy section and... off it would fly. Really need to sort out a solution to that one.
I find brakes are rather useful in that situation! :mrgreen:
YNM wrote:
Pilot wrote:This is gonna be fun, and a pain in the neck, to drive!
Turns out I'm more patient and precise than I realised, I seem to be a better driver with the double trailers, except when reversing, though how anyone could reverse those things I don't know.
YNM wrote:taught me to really obey the speed limit :mrgreen:
Speed limits, what are they? :lol:
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Doorslammer wrote:I still haven't worked out an effective use of retarders, which has caused me to not complete a trip from Oslo to Stavanger. Halfway along, got to a particular rainy section and... off it would fly. Really need to sort out a solution to that one.
As I don't own a proper steering wheel, they're only useful for the cruise control. In reality they're only useful because it's operated with a stalk a short distance from your hand from the steering wheel. I just use the normal brakes. It is much more annoying in ATS where the normal brakes seems to be vacuum-type instead and coming from the steam age ! Start-stop on the city red lights for a dozen time and I guarantee you'll be blocking the road...
Pilot wrote:... except when reversing, though how anyone could reverse those things I don't know.
Well you're not supposed to reverse one when all linked !
Pilot wrote:
YNM wrote:taught me to really obey the speed limit :mrgreen:
Speed limits, what are they? :lol:
Whatever the police consider a limit to justify strapping your cash :lol:
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

Pilot wrote:
I find brakes are rather useful in that situation! :mrgreen:
Oh teehee, very good. I meant that you would be doing the 50mph limit, hit the hill and the retarder would kick in and lock the rears before you even got a chance to pop some brake on. It literally went from pointing straight to down a valley in seconds. :(
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Doorslammer wrote:Oh teehee, very good. I meant that you would be doing the 50mph limit, hit the hill and the retarder would kick in and lock the rears before you even got a chance to pop some brake on. It literally went from pointing straight to down a valley in seconds. :(
Ah yes, the old hills and turns that sneak up on you without you noticing, we've all done it! I find it best when I'm on a wet motorway, doing the limit, and go to turn a corner and somehow end up with the truck on it's side, damn rain! :lol:
YNM wrote:
Pilot wrote:... except when reversing, though how anyone could reverse those things I don't know.
Well you're not supposed to reverse one when all linked !
Sometimes it's impossible not to have to do some reversing when they're linked! Even when parking them, the game tries to give you some nice wide open space to pull into, but you've either got to basically put your truck into the fence to line it up, or do a bit of a reversing jig!
YNM wrote:
Pilot wrote:Speed limits, what are they? :lol:
Whatever the police consider a limit to justify strapping your cash :lol:
Oh, is that what they are? Nah, I'll take the fine, generally cheap enough :mrgreen:
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Pilot wrote:
Doorslammer wrote:Oh teehee, very good. I meant that you would be doing the 50mph limit, hit the hill and the retarder would kick in and lock the rears before you even got a chance to pop some brake on. It literally went from pointing straight to down a valley in seconds. :(
Ah yes, the old hills and turns that sneak up on you without you noticing, we've all done it! I find it best when I'm on a wet motorway, doing the limit, and go to turn a corner and somehow end up with the truck on it's side, damn rain! :lol:
Invest in a GPS and have a driver ed course, learn how to drive properly !
... although yeah before that all that's what I also would do.
Pilot wrote:Sometimes it's impossible not to have to do some reversing when they're linked! Even when parking them, the game tries to give you some nice wide open space to pull into, but you've either got to basically put your truck into the fence to line it up, or do a bit of a reversing jig!
Well, you carry massive cargoes, prep up beforehand, line up to the extreme... I haven't got my hands on them though, the computer I normally use is being serviced.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

YNM wrote:
Pilot wrote:Sometimes it's impossible not to have to do some reversing when they're linked! Even when parking them, the game tries to give you some nice wide open space to pull into, but you've either got to basically put your truck into the fence to line it up, or do a bit of a reversing jig!
Well, you carry massive cargoes, prep up beforehand, line up to the extreme... I haven't got my hands on them though, the computer I normally use is being serviced.
Unfortunately, whilst the game tries to give you a wide open space, it can't, so lining up is impossible. At best you're coming in at about a 60 degree angle to it I reckon.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Pilot wrote:Unfortunately, whilst the game tries to give you a wide open space, it can't, so lining up is impossible. At best you're coming in at about a 60 degree angle to it I reckon.
Hmm... that seems to be company-specific then. Sometimes it works very, very well.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

Seems the goodies are coming fast and furious lately. We just got the doubles and DAF bits, Italy just got announced and now it seems a sneaky piccie of supersized loads (with a cheeky pilot vehicle following) went up just yesterday. It's good to be a lorryist. :)
enviousbored
Engineer
Engineer

Post by enviousbored »

Zhall wrote:Has anyone played this game yet?

It seems ok, but i dunno if its worth doing a lets play on..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIrZYqBd ... TQ&index=2
It is worth it. If you are into driving game, this is the game for you.
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

Best combination is truck with 6-speed Allison, 33 ton double trailer and hilly Norwegian backroads. :lol:

Return to “Off-Topic”