Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Lesarthois
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Euro Truck Simulator 2

Post by Lesarthois »

YNM wrote:Not necessarily, many truck usage in Europe are also cross-border traffic. There's a reason why the Netherlands, despite being rather small and transit and cycle oriented, has to make a lot of motorways.
Yes, true.
I should have structured my post better. I mostly meant that in the time period where US truck companies could have gotten a foothold in Europe (1945-1965, approximatively) the European road network was of course destroyed, made of small, tight roads, and had few main roads to neighbouring countries. Freight mostly travelled by train or boat (up to the 70's). Plus, by 1949, half of Europe went Soviet, which didn't cut trade( as many people think), but severely limited it.
So in this context, there was little use for large trucks, and for short haul, European trucks did good enough.
Plus, of course, export taxes, gas price, etc... didn't favored US trucks, in addition to using imperial and using rare US parts instead of common European parts.
By the time Europe developped a solid highway network, European truck companies grew accordingly and took the market.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I recently picked this back up. Promods really is a lovely game. I hauled some fish from Ísafjörður on the Northern tip of Iceland cross the whole island to Seyðisfjörður (nasty rural roads all the way) before boarding a ferry to Denmark. From there, I hauled the fishies down to Berlin. Lovely journey.

If you do pick up Promods, I definitely recommend getting a powerful truck and venturing up to the North of Iceland. Lots of snowy dirt roads and steep drops. Very exciting drive.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
siu238X
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by siu238X »

YNM wrote:
Lesarthois wrote:France and Texas. France is the largest (by land) country of the European Union, one of the biggest one of continental Europe behind Ukraine (and Russia if you count it).
You don't need to scale your truck the same for a smaller average travel.
Not necessarily, many truck usage in Europe are also cross-border traffic. There's a reason why the Netherlands, despite being rather small and transit and cycle oriented, has to make a lot of motorways.
Chrill wrote:
rbos86 wrote:Me happy! Very much!
Just download Promods. They've done all this already :mrgreen:
ProMods could still use the new assets though.

I also wonder whether SCS rebuilds the routes. Quite a number of them weren't representative of any routes.
From their videos, I think at least A7 and A10 can be considered accurate.

Disappointed that they did almost nothing to the cities themselves, aside from a new district for Hamburg.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Promods development of Germany is ongoing, but the most recent project was specifically an "Autobahn Rebuilding" project, not cities. They are volunteers spread thin across development all over Europe.
My Scenarios:
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Chrill wrote:... the most recent project was specifically an "Autobahn Rebuilding" project, not cities.
It does give some city rebuilds as well. Though not exactly every single one of them.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

American Truck Simulator

Post by rbos86 »

So, finally it is here..!
After a succesful Euro Truck Simulator 2 -topic (made by others) I decided to make this new one.
American Truck Simulator -topic for fans, chat and update information about SCS's (iconic) American Truck Simulator (ATS).
Share your love for this game in this Off-Topic section for OpenTTD -lovers who also love ATS!

I am fan, both OpenTTD and ATS. I've played ETS2 very long, ATS for also long (since the Arizona -DLC) and kept wondering why the games are so attractive.

ATS takes place in American West Coast environment, and with the upcoming release of the Oregon -DLC it proves to become even better..!
But why do they release it state by state, and not area's including several states? Do we have to wait another 45 years or so before we can drive through every state of the US?
Are there plans by SCS to go East-Coast?
'Cause I would love that!

But don't worry, I'm not complaining since I am an enthusiast player. I'm doing fine, despite the fact that current releases are slow. I know that developing a game and programming the game is a loooong proces.
That's my opinion. I'm rbos86.

Start talking in this topic about ETS2's younger brother ATS and all that goes with it, right here below:
rbos86' Screenshots thread is here
rbos86' Unrealistic Dutch games -thread, on the other hand,is this button
Griff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: American Truck Simulator

Post by Griff »

As far as I am aware, the eventual aim is to cover all US states, in the same way that ETS2 will eventually cover all of Europe. It's a lengtly process creating each DLC, and they are very detailed so I would rather we spend a year waiting for a DLC that is epic, then several DLCs that they rush. Even if the current map as it is, it still takes a while to drive from one side to the other.
Ukončete, prosím, výstup a nástup, dveře se zavírají
Chrill

Re: Euro Truck Simulator 2 and American Truck Simulator

Post by Chrill »

Since it's virtually the same game with a new map, I've merged ETS2 and ATS into the same topic. If ya'll disagree, I'll be happy to split them again. :)

ATS isn't that exciting to me because it covers a largely identical region. There is little variety except for the Nevadan backroads. I come back every now and again but find myself returning to ETS2 quickly.
My Scenarios:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Out of interest, is there a map mod for ATS that is anywhere near as developed as, for example, Promods is for ETS2? One of the biggest draws for me when it comes to ETS2 is being able to use Promods, as it adds so much to the game experience, as well as being more nicely modelled/built than the base map.
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by rbos86 »

Chrill wrote:Since it's virtually the same game with a new map, I've merged ETS2 and ATS into the same topic. If ya'll disagree, I'll be happy to split them again. :)
I don't mind, and this looks satisfying to me.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Pilot wrote:Out of interest, is there a map mod for ATS that is anywhere near as developed as, for example, Promods is for ETS2? One of the biggest draws for me when it comes to ETS2 is being able to use Promods, as it adds so much to the game experience, as well as being more nicely modelled/built than the base map.
Not quite. Promods is exploring an ATS mod, but their focus is on ETS2. Considering the detail they put into their maps, and that they do so in their spare time, ATS for Promods is probably not coming any time soon. There are ATS map mods out there, but none which bring the type of quality you are accustomed to in Promods! :)
My Scenarios:
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by rbos86 »

Just bought Oregon with paintjobs in a bundle, on Steam!
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I only just realised the MASSIVE size of Promods. It's something like 10GB when placed in your mods folder. Compare that to ETS2, which in itself requires roughly 3GB of space.
My Scenarios:
teccuk
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by teccuk »

Chrill wrote:I only just realised the MASSIVE size of Promods. It's something like 10GB when placed in your mods folder. Compare that to ETS2, which in itself requires roughly 3GB of space.
Promods is amazing, but its such a pain to download and install. Then SCS update the game and *boom* you have to do it all again.

I wish SCS / Promods would work together to make it at least semi 'official'... Even if that meant fee.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I pay the $1 fee for every Promods release (that's less than a McD cheeseburger in Sweden :P ), just extract it into my mods folder and off I go.
My Scenarios:
teccuk
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by teccuk »

Chrill wrote:I pay the $1 fee for every Promods release (that's less than a McD cheeseburger in Sweden :P ), just extract it into my mods folder and off I go.
Yes I was doing that. Maybe it's got easier since I last tried.
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by rbos86 »

With Washington released lately, American Truck Simulator has turned into a greater game..!

Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Quite.
Attachments
00000000004361FE.jpg
(1.16 MiB) Not downloaded yet
00000000004361FF.jpg
(1.11 MiB) Not downloaded yet
0000000000436201.jpg
(737.36 KiB) Not downloaded yet
My Scenarios:
rbos86
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by rbos86 »

Question for buyers of DLCs:

Which are you going to buy? Utah or Road to the Black Sea? ATS or ETS2? Or both?

I'm already a bit done with ETS2. It's a great game, but recent beauty of ATS caught my attention. I might not have all the money i really want, so I'm buying Utah (ATS) for sure... Not the Black Sea (ETS2).
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

I have both ETS2 and ATS and will, eventually, buy all DLC for both as they're equally great games. Do keep in mind that driving in the USA is quite different to the UK, if for no other reason than the cabs and trailers are different dimensions. And there's a state that allows 70mph for HGVs!
Last known as: Weirdy

Return to “Off-Topic”