What video games have you played lately?

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: What video games have you played lately?

Post by JGR »

TTDP is still ahead in several areas TBH, as much of a moot point as it is. ^^
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

I've bought quite a few games recently but haven't played any of them yet, with the exception of a spot of Company of Heroes and later on Saints Row III - which I didn't like as much as I thought I would. Aside from OTTD (which I started playing again because f*** yes NewStations 0.5) there's Minecraft, Gnomoria, Dwarf Fortress and I also continued my game of Pokémon Black for a second.

More importantly, and also on topic, the game I *didn't* play was Zelda: Skyward Sword. It's one of the biggest disappointments of the last couple of years. And not because the game's bad or anything, hell no. The graphics are amazing, the animations are stunning, the story so far was enticing enough and everything about it screamed great game. Except for those controls. And they ruined everything for me. I actually moved my Wii to my girlfriend's house because I'm fed up with it. Everything is ruined because of s*** controls.
I'd pay good money - well, I'd pay for it full-price a second time - if they released a non-waggly-control version. Anyone else have this?
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Dave

Post by Dave »

lobster's my hero.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

The WiiMote is the main reason I didn't buy a Wii, and that WiiU-tablet thing will be the main reason I won't be a WiiU ... I'm somewhat predictable when it comes to "innovations" like these.

Played some Super Soccer, F-Zero and Super Tennis on a SNES today. Clearly beat my brother which should count for something 8)
vear
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by vear »

Yet another RollerCoaster Tycoon 1 scenario just became marked as done (leaving me with whole basic game and 21/30 of the first expansion done after 13 years of having RCT on my shelf).
see my transportation photos on fotozajezdnia
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I never really got into the expansion packs, although I like the steel twister roller coaster.

Naturally, though, I have the original complete in its entirety.
vear
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by vear »

Well, nowadays installing Loopy Landscapes is necessary to get the game patched and therefore running under WinXP/7 AFAIK. Nevertheless, I find the add-on scenarios at least as amusing as the originals.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

As far as the new scenarios go, I only play the Corkscrew Follies scenarios. I can't adjust to only being able to charge for admission or rides.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Just "played" some Dear Esther. Nicely designed and quite interesting ... for, like, 10 minutes. Can't believe some rate this higher than, dunno, Solitaire ...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

A few days ago I picked up Age of Empires Online again. :mrgreen:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
vear
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by vear »

Is it worth trying without going beyond free2play boundaries (i.e. without paying a single penny)? I have lots of great memories with AoE 1&2, not as many from the times of AoE3 (in fact, I sold my copy long ago as it bored me), however, I still couldn't make myself try AoE Online.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

vear wrote:Is it worth trying without going beyond free2play boundaries (i.e. without paying a single penny)? I have lots of great memories with AoE 1&2, not as many from the times of AoE3 (in fact, I sold my copy long ago as it bored me), however, I still couldn't make myself try AoE Online.
Well, considering it's free2play it doesn't really hurt trying it :P

I loved AoE3 but after a long while it got me bored, I never really played AoE1&2 much.

The main problem with AoE Online is that most fun stuff is locked for free players, however you're able to slowly gather the "empire points" necessary to unlock premium content. It'll take a while, but eventually you're able to get the same stuff a paid player does. I guess that's pretty nice for a free2play game :P. I haven't paid a penny yet, but unlocked a few things. There are tricks to speed up the process, but I don't do that.

AoE Online uses a home city concept, and instead of a linear campaign, uses a quest-system you'd normally see in MMORPGs. Most quests can be done solo or co-op with another player. You're able to gather "gear" to make your units and buildings more effective, but this system can be disabled in PvP mode. The skirmish-part of the game requires premium content, so that won't be available to you directly, however another player who unlocked the skirmish can invite you to a game (at least, AFAIK, I'll probably unlock that part next week).

IMO AoE Online combines the fun stuff from all games. I love playing with the Egyptian civ and defensive buildings which are actually useful (AoE3's towers were pretty weak), but I loved AoE3's home city concept too. Recently they added the Norse civilization, which I loved in AoM, so planning to unlock that civ very soon.

Another problem is that the game requires a xbox live account, and I've noticed it's a tad annoying to set one up, as with most MicroSoft things.

If you happen to give it a try, I'm at the Alexandria server, in case you want to team up.

Overall I think the game is pretty good, but their marketing sucks, and the game doesn't get the credit it deserves.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
vear
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by vear »

Purno wrote:Well, considering it's free2play it doesn't really hurt trying it :P
Basically, it does not. However I once tried and getting through the bunch of Microsoft's toolkits, frameworks, sign ups, live something etc. put me off a little and I eventually ended up with a surrender. I miss those times when DirectX was the most sophisticated tool a game could possibly need to run properly. Without registration, passwords, mutually incompatible frameworks and other things designed to make software more obtrusive.
Purno wrote:Overall I think the game is pretty good, but their marketing sucks, and the game doesn't get the credit it deserves.
Well, it wouldn't be the first time that Microsoft is a publisher for a decent game, but eventually kills it by spreading their pure Microsoftish evil.

Anyway, perhaps I'll give it a try one day when I'm motivated enough to get through all these nuisances.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

vear wrote:
Purno wrote:Well, considering it's free2play it doesn't really hurt trying it :P
Basically, it does not. However I once tried and getting through the bunch of Microsoft's toolkits, frameworks, sign ups, live something etc. put me off a little and I eventually ended up with a surrender. I miss those times when DirectX was the most sophisticated tool a game could possibly need to run properly. Without registration, passwords, mutually incompatible frameworks and other things designed to make software more obtrusive.
Yeah well... it helps if you already have a Windows Live, Xbox Live or Steam account, I guess :P
Those types of accounts may actually be useful for several games :P
Purno wrote:Overall I think the game is pretty good, but their marketing sucks, and the game doesn't get the credit it deserves.
Well, it wouldn't be the first time that Microsoft is a publisher for a decent game, but eventually kills it by spreading their pure Microsoftish evil.
It's not just Microsoft. EA's "Origin" is pretty f*cked up too, and when attempting to play a Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer game with my friends, the hardest challenge is to get everyone connected to the same lobby.
Image Image
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

btw, M$ announced to not produce any additional content for AoE and that some bugs might remain unfixed ^^

Just started playing White Knight Chronicles 2 on PS3. I like the gameplay, but the characters, dialog and plot is beyond help. Luckily it's so bad I actually can't stop laughing - "Finally, it's MINE! Of course, it has always been mine." Right you are, generic evil guy #641.
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

Been playing Test Drive Unltd 2 on the PS3. Good game that. Anyone else playing it?
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Pyoro wrote:btw, M$ announced to not produce any additional content for AoE and that some bugs might remain unfixed ^^
Not surprised. Looks like M$ has left the game quite a while ago and lets it slowly die down. Which is a shame, because it really is a decent game, and with some bugfixing and proper marketing, it could be epic.
47407 wrote:Been playing Test Drive Unltd 2 on the PS3. Good game that. Anyone else playing it?
I played TDU1 on PC. Is TDU2 really better than TDU1? I read some dissapointing reviews :P
Image Image
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

47407 wrote:Been playing Test Drive Unltd 2 on the PS3. Good game that. Anyone else playing it?
I've played it a little. Awful handling, awful graphics, appalling bugs. It's really not worth it.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Jacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Jacko »

a lot of MW3 :D
took me 2 days to complete the campaign, felt like nothing
either it was shorter than normal, or time flew past me, or maybe I'm just getting better.
or all of the above :mrgreen:
"O2 is for noobs, real people breath O3" ~ said sometime by Me

All comments from me may or may not be true and do not take them word-for-word

Feel Free to join me and some other people in The Nations Game - its actually quite fun.

1000th Post at Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:43 am
2000th post at Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:22 am
Lordmwa
President
President

Post by Lordmwa »

Jacko wrote:a lot of MW3 :D
took me 2 days to complete the campaign, felt like nothing
either it was shorter than normal, or time flew past me, or maybe I'm just getting better.
or all of the above :mrgreen:
Or that its exactly the same as the MW2 campaign? (and all the others :P)
The TT forums trivia tournament! Come along and join in the fun
http://www.funtrivia.com/private/main.cfm?tid=90722

Return to “Off-Topic”