A TT game online?

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: A TT game online?

Post by YNM »

Jolteon wrote: Surely you looked into what you'd need beforehand? :P
I'm really new in world of coding... first trying to make NewGRF (now halted), then looking onto C++ (wanted to write a patch about Public Service, through people (Zuu ?) say it just need a GS), a little glance at how to make additions to SC4 (later realized its all about 3D modelling and my computer don't have a graphic card at all), then at last all this HTML and CSS. Even the C++ one isn't really finished actually, last I don't have any idea about how to make the UI so I stopped again (aww).

I'm the kind of people who only look into if theres something interesting to me, i think only HTML and CSS that has pulled me long enough so far (well, at least now I know the link within HTML, CSS, and PHP, also how this website works :o )
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
BadSpeed
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BadSpeed »

learning about a language is not difficult...
knowing to do stuff in a language to be autonomous, requieres work ...
mastering a language, to build a game, is a lot of work :)
Social Maps will revolutionize your way of interacting with your social network online but also in your realife! Make sure to check it out to be able to see where your friends are in real time and plan for your next night out!
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

Yoursnotmine wrote:
Jolteon wrote: Surely you looked into what you'd need beforehand? :P
I'm really new in world of coding... first trying to make NewGRF (now halted), then looking onto C++ (wanted to write a patch about Public Service, through people (Zuu ?) say it just need a GS), a little glance at how to make additions to SC4 (later realized its all about 3D modelling and my computer don't have a graphic card at all), then at last all this HTML and CSS. Even the C++ one isn't really finished actually, last I don't have any idea about how to make the UI so I stopped again (aww).

I'm the kind of people who only look into if theres something interesting to me, i think only HTML and CSS that has pulled me long enough so far (well, at least now I know the link within HTML, CSS, and PHP, also how this website works :o )

Learn Python
http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/

And you will learn A LOT.
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 2457 »

well...
if you wana do things in a browser,
then..
php, javascript, html, cs, and mysql are Your pals.
nothing else is needed.
php is a rapid thing for development, at least if you don't go bloating oop.
(yess, i gona get flamed to hell for this, but i personaly find oop is a useless thing for anything expect very large code with many many developers.. otherwise its slow to get things done.. )
The Prophet -thx Pikka-
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

2457 wrote: php, javascript, html, cs, and mysql are Your pals
nothing else is needed
For the sake of making it a bit easier. I would suggest he used something like Sockets.IO / Node.js. Which is essentially pre-written (javascript) libraries for real-time data push, it would make things a bit faster to dev. For the project he is working on, I would also think that a NoSQL alternative would actually be more efficient.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

Working on a python population simulator...

Might also put together a quick game maker mock up of the game [since it's so easy to do in GM]
BadSpeed
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BadSpeed »

Update on my work, here are the latest achievement:
- DB with Schema created
- Detecting the user web browser, if he doesn't have Chrome, a warning is displayed (will be blocked)
- User login form added to restrict the game to the registered people
- Load the latest news from the DB above the login screen
- Loading all elements are deferred after the login is completed
- One user can modify the map (add a road tile) which will be stored and replicated to all other users
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-01-06 at 9.34.24 AM.png
(180.49 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Social Maps will revolutionize your way of interacting with your social network online but also in your realife! Make sure to check it out to be able to see where your friends are in real time and plan for your next night out!
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

Cool! Are you just too busy to provide an update?
BadSpeed
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BadSpeed »

I've been busy with the real life and with the DB and how to store properly the map and all that kind of things.
Now it is OK, from a csv file, I create and store the map / game... which is loaded after the login of the user. I'm only loading where the user is currently and a bit more to avoid constant loading on scrolling (which I need to work on).

Once I'm done with this, I will be able to start working on the mechanics of the game... where can I built a road, what does that mean for the game .. industries, depot and such :)
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 2457 »

it may be worth to create Your code in a way that accesing data from the database is accomplished by a set of functions You declare.

that way whenever you need information about a tile you can acces it via the verry same way.
and if you later need to change say.. the buildup of the database, or switch (partialy or absolutely) to a nosql way, then you only need to
modify this function. the rest of the program would need no change.

(probably this is when OOP style should have a benefit. but if i was You i would not go that route. slows down coding, it is ment for verry large projects with many many programmers. small projects tend to be a lot faster done procedural ways. and both can be made to be maintained/updated/debugged with ease, if you keep it in mind.)
The Prophet -thx Pikka-
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

Hmm yeah a CSV sheet should work well for map data.

Edit: If you need any interface/artwork I will be happy to help.

I am currently re-reading the python book I have so I can start programming again.
Last edited by Zhall on 26 Jan 2013 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 2457 »

that might not be the best approach.
prehaps a simple XML sytle file may do, depending on what you want to do.
just storing a set of variables that rarely change (rare should be relative here) may do well.
The Prophet -thx Pikka-
BadSpeed
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BadSpeed »

May be I wasn't clear enough, my CSV file is only to declare the map in the DB => used once.
After that, everything is in a MongoDB (tiles, game settings, users, ...) which are loaded based on the requests made by the user.

OOP programmation is mandatory. It requieres more analysis on what you want to do and more code lines but it is the only way to build something "clean". This is why my development seems slow (that + real life).

I've never worked on python, but I hear it is a great language !! :)

For design, I wanted to get tiles from that guy : http://kenney.nl/assets
(free and awesome)
But he doesn't have any building at the moment, and from the few exchange that I had with him, building might not come that quickly.
I've seem some nice artwork on iStock
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 2457 »

:) as long as You are confident, its okay.

i may have been influenced by my personal view.
The Prophet -thx Pikka-
BadSpeed
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BadSpeed »

No issue, don't worry...
For me doing web development is kind of a natural thing. I've been doing it since the past 13 years now (damn I sound old) ... so I know where I'm going :)
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

You can use my avatar as a factory....

lol
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

-please delete-
Last edited by Zhall on 01 Feb 2013 05:10, edited 2 times in total.
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

I looked at the documentation and realised that there was a good product tree missing, so I went ahead and threw one together real quick in illustrator.
Attachments
IMT product tree
IMT product tree
Product tree IMT.png (54.52 KiB) Viewed 3224 times
BadSpeed
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BadSpeed »

Nice! :)
We should also think about the number of item needed to create another one.
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

We could factor in that there is waste during the production cycle.. such as

4 wood -> 2 planks -> 1 wooden toy

There could also be recyclable materials created from the waste and post consumer waste such as

Wood fibers
Plastic granules
Glass granules
Scrap Metal

Return to “Off-Topic”