Japan Earthquake (Fri 11th March)

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Japan Earthquake (Fri 11th March)

Post by JamieLei »

An Major Earthquake hit North-Eastern Japan in the sea today near Tokyo. Nothing near as serious as New Zealand but enough to suspend ALL Tokyo Metro lines and the Shinkansen, cut off power in over 3 prefectures. Tsunami warning has been issued for the WHOLE of Japan.

Kyoto is fine - I didn't feel a thing.

Update: Sendai has been engulfed by Tsunami. See the BBC video
Update 2: Nagoya being evacuated. One of Japan's 4 largest cities. Another earthquake about 30 mins ago, hitting Fukuoka. Kyoto lies half way between Tokyo and Fukuoka, so we hope there won't be one here.

News:

(English) BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598
(Japanese) Asahi: http://www.asahi.com/national/update/03 ... 10287.html
Last edited by JamieLei on 11 Mar 2011 07:46, edited 2 times in total.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Japan Earthquake (Fri 11th March)

Post by planetmaker »

The list of current Earthquakes: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... es_all.php

The data on the strongest of the series of earthquake occuring off the Eastern coast of Japan: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ ... 140_40.php (it's actually the largest one, going by the seismic moment, I remember seeing ever since I started to watch earthquake data a decade ago; luckily the strength of a quake usually isn't related to the damage caused, the time and the exact place as well as its depth matter much more).

Let's hope the Tsunami won't hit the coasts too hard. Watch out for it, the warning level is set to max: http://www.weather.gov/ptwc/
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

10 metre high tsunami hits Sendai and destroys all in its path.

All Nuclear Power Plants have closed down automatically.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

My reaction when i saw this on the news: 's***!'
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

Hope anyone and everyone in the area is ok. Heard it on the news this morning and did the wide eyed thing (TM) :shock:
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Reports I've picked up from people in the area: Complete devastation. Complete cities and towns have been wiped off the map, almost exclusively due to the tsunami.

Jamie, you're OK I take it. I assume Helena's brother is OK also.

A message to a Swedish newspaper reads the following (my translation):
"Hi, mum! We were taken by complete surprise but managed to get to a hill about 100 meters above sea level. We are all OK, but many people have been taken to Heaven by the water. We love you."

Now of course, that's just some person who sent that to them, and this person may just be trolling from his basement in northern Sweden..
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Probably a troll. Anyone that's been to Japan knows that there's no hills here. Only ridiculously flat plains and mountains. The prospect of an isolated hill in the midst of a plain by the sea is rather low, unless it was actually the mountain.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well, a hill about 100 meters above sea level doesn't sound completely impossible :P Apparently, the tsunami is expected to reach San Diego tomorrow morning around 7:50am, but.. Well, it's not really going to be that big if it's travelled all the way across the Pacific
My Scenarios:
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Wow that is insane. Seeing cars being swept away by the tsunami and moments later a boat passing by one the same spot :shock: I take it all is OK with you Jamie?
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Everything is fine here in Kyoto since we're miles from the sea and didn't experience the earthquake. The concern is for

1. Those in the disaster area of the tsunami, and who were in its path. The images are too shocking to describe
2. Those in Tokyo who cannot get home because the trains are not running. It's a city that doesn't have many buses because the trains dominate everything, so there's no alternate bus network. There's pretty much chaos at each major terminal, with thousands of people standing outside each one, attempting to get on the few buses that exist.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Heard about the quake from a friend. It's terrible to see and my sympathy is with all those affected. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709791

Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

They're Japanese, they'll rebuild everything in less than two years...

But broken families is something that can't be fixed.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

This is much worse that we expected when we first head of the quake. Quakes are quakes and Japanese are used to them. The majority of Tokyo residents might have a broken light bulb or bookshelf - but those caught in the tsunami have their lives destroyed...

Up to 200-300 bodies have been found in the tsunami's path.
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Whoa, these are truly terrifying images!

Makes me appreciate I live in Central Europe where major disasters of any kind are pretty much nonexistent (overseeing relatively minor floods, occasional hailstorm etc.).

I wish all Japanese good luck fighting this, it will be needed.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

How is the situation around the nuclear facilities? I read one of them is on fire but that the area around four nuclear facilites are evacuated by authorities. Is that in case of or are those other severely damaged too?

The tsunami has reached Indonesia and Hawaii too now, no damage reported in Indonesia.
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

I guess both Indonesia and Hawaii are outside the "kill zone".

JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

The nuclear power plant fire has been extinguished.

The first waves have hit Indonesia but it's not been bad and they've cancelled the Tsunami warning. Hawaii has been prepared and everyone evacuated to higher ground.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Lets hope they can cool those reactors, or else this could get much, much worse than it already is. Hard to believe that whole areas have been wiped off the map in North East Japan; typical that the media now seems to be focusing on whats happening in Hawaii and the US west coast.

The other worry is that some Pacific Islands lack suitable high ground for cover. :(
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

死者117人、不明497人、負傷581人 警察庁発表
Dead: 117. Missing: 497. Wounded: 581. Source: Police

As of 12:26am.

http://www.asahi.com/national/update/03 ... 10628.html
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

The Fukushima power plant, or at least something in its vicinity, has exploded. Is there a potential danger of it leaking radioactive material spreading via clouds to rain in other parts of the country?
My Scenarios:

Return to “Off-Topic”