Japan Earthquake (Fri 11th March)

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Japan Earthquake (Fri 11th March)

Post by JamieLei »

BBC: "Outside the exclusion zone around Fukushima nuclear plant, radiation levels are absolutely miniscule and nothing to worry about, points out the BBC's Tim Willcox in Tokyo. That's interesting, he says, given how many foreign nationals have left Tokyo and other parts of the country."
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Jamie, are there any news from towns like Minamisanriku and similar, those that were hit the most?
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Yakuza?
According to Adelstein, the major yakuza families have squads formed that walk the streets, just like the police officers do, to make sure that crime doesn't happen during this crisis. According to one yakuza boss: "In times of crisis, there are not Yakuza and civilians or foreigners. There are only human beings and we should help each other."

It's good to know that everyone is pitching in to help out in Japan, from the top of the government to the furthest outskirts of the law.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

The Yakuza are known to help in these types of situations, are they not? From what I have heard, the Japanese population do not dislike the Yakuza at all. Rather the opposite. (Of course, I may be wrong, in which case Jamie will find great pleasure in correcting me! :) )
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

It is called PR :) . Expensive contracts for rebuilding destructed infrastructure (connected with bribe the local authority action) are way better to earn money way than robbing people without any property.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

JamieLei wrote:Several of my friends now being 帰国させられた (Being forced to return to one's home country). In addition, the ENTIRE UC (University of California) system has cancelled all exchanges in Japan, and my friend studying at Kyoto University is being forced to return. We now life in fear of being forced home by our home universities - not of radiation.
Now that would be a real shame. I know the academic year does not have long to run now (especially in the US), but lets hope Cambridge have some backbone.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Kevo00 wrote:
JamieLei wrote:Several of my friends now being 帰国させられた (Being forced to return to one's home country). In addition, the ENTIRE UC (University of California) system has cancelled all exchanges in Japan, and my friend studying at Kyoto University is being forced to return. We now life in fear of being forced home by our home universities - not of radiation.
Now that would be a real shame. I know the academic year does not have long to run now (especially in the US), but lets hope Cambridge have some backbone.
Sadly the academic year in Japan (which we run on) is only half way through. Well technically it's just finished but we begin half-way through and do the full year. So instead of getting 2 terms worth of tuition, they've only had one.

Cambridge have just confirmed that I'm not going home.

And Chrill, yep, exactly true. In Kobe, they get relief in far faster than the government. That's well known and documented.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Nextra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Nextra »

JamieLei wrote:And Chrill, yep, exactly true. In Kobe, they get relief in far faster than the government. That's well known and documented.
Its a shame that Western organised crime cannot be like this in dire times of need.
Interested in helping out where ever possible.
Nite Owl
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nite Owl »

Check your history with regards to US Organized Crime and the role it played in the invasion of Sicily during WWII.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet
------------------------------------------------------------
Brevity is the soul of wit and obscenity is its downfall
--------------------------------------------------------
Good Night And Good Luck - Read You Soon
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Nextra wrote:
JamieLei wrote:And Chrill, yep, exactly true. In Kobe, they get relief in far faster than the government. That's well known and documented.
Its a shame that Western organised crime cannot be like this in dire times of need.
The Kazuya are a bit more upmarket than your typical western crime gang.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Regarding the radiation fear, in West Japan there pretty is no fear any more. I'm off travelling with a Japanese friend tomorrow (in the direction of Fukushima actually, but still further away than Tokyo is). See you all in half a week :)
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Last edited by orudge on 20 Mar 2011 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Change from inline image to link to original source
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

There is opened SMS number for donations for Japan. Of course, I made donation. Japan people helped to my people very much when communism ended here. We are all here with Japan people.
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

Nite Owl wrote:Check your history with regards to US Organized Crime and the role it played in the invasion of Sicily during WWII.
Indeed, didn't some Mafia don get given a citation or a medal or something for 'convincing' union dock workers in New York to work longer hours to load the ships or something? It's been a while since I read about it, my memory is a little hazy.
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 61653 »

Chrill wrote:The Yakuza are known to help in these types of situations, are they not? From what I have heard, the Japanese population do not dislike the Yakuza at all. Rather the opposite. (Of course, I may be wrong, in which case Jamie will find great pleasure in correcting me! :) )
to be fair, you don't have to go far in East London to hear all the old tropes about the Krays ("they loved their mum, they only hurt other gangsters, etc...")

To get back on the main topic, my thoughts are with all those who have lost loved ones or been displaced. That photo someone posted of the rescue workers mourning the Tsunami victim while devastation surrounded them touched me deeply, and as an Aspie that's saying something...
I was social distancing before it was cool 8)
Formerly known as 47434
Last train journey I could be bothered to look up the headcode for: 04/02/2016, Mirfield to Batley, 2J34 1459 Huddersfield to Leeds, Northern Rail 144015
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

Dave W wrote:There are hundreds of reactor sites around the world where the same thing could happen; a 9.0 magnitude earthquake is not plannable for in any circumstance. Would the same earthquake have brought the same issues to the plant if it had a magnitude of 7.0 for example? 9.0 is beyond the reasonable level that any building should withstand.
Another reason for not building such power plants. It's a difference if a power plant collapses (this could be devastating for a hydro power plant as well, imagine the three-gorges-dam collapsing), but it wouldn't render a huge amount of land inhabitable for a few decades or even hundreds/thousands of years - depending on the material.
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Banqiao Dam failure, result of Typhoon Nina. Approximately 86,000 people died from flooding and another 145,000 died during subsequent disease.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deadliest_floods
# 4,000+[53][54] – Chernobyl disaster, Ukraine, April 26, 1986. 56 direct deaths and 4,000 extra cancer deaths.[55]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ac ... _accidents
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
John
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by John »

My mum had a trip planned to Japan with her sister - however the Foreign Office travel advisory automatically invalidates most travel insurance.

As such, my aunt is no longer going - but my mum found a Japanese company that was willing to offer insurance (via the Japanese tourist board). She decided to have a look around the various embassy websites.

The UK Foreign Office is advising against non-essential travel to north east Japan and Tokyo.

The German Embassy has evacuated from Tokyo to Osaka. Their advice: "Travellers are currently advised to avoid all non-essential travel to Japan."

Quite frankly this makes me ashamed of all my connections to Germany. Japan is a big country - bigger in-fact than Germany. In European terms this is advising against non-essential travel to Northern Italy (Milan, Venice - even Florence) because of an unstable situation in Lübeck, on Germany's North Coast. A situation that hasn't yet killed anyone...

/rant

We are also of the opinion that the anxiety caused by poor information / poor knowledge will probably do considerable more harm then any radiation from the plant.

And the reason why my mum is still keen to travel - have this quote from the end of the email confirming her hotel booking in Tokyo:
We are looking forward to serving you on 5th April from Kyoto.
Thank you for believing in our country.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yes, had a problem with a wrong watch sent to a man in Japan. He sent back the other one two days before the earthquake happened.

I e-mailed him two MOndays ago confirming he still wanted the watch and that we were aware things could be very difficult at the minute.

He was incredibly, incredibly polite. Amazing how even through this sort of thing, their culture of respect and politeness remains.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Eeek - Very minute trace amounts of radiation from Fukushima found in Britain and the rest of Europe. Scary. Still staying put until the UK Government orders me out!

Return to “Off-Topic”