Japan Earthquake (Fri 11th March)

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Japan Earthquake (Fri 11th March)

Post by JamieLei »

Japan is pretty blessed with hot springs everywhere ^_^

But Japan is also "unblessed" with earthquakes. I can't really imagine how it's possible to build large scale geothermal plants with so many earthquakes >_<
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Kjell Bjarne
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kjell Bjarne »

JamieLei wrote:Japan is pretty blessed with hot springs everywhere ^_^

But Japan is also "unblessed" with earthquakes. I can't really imagine how it's possible to build large scale geothermal plants with so many earthquakes >_<
Japan has some geothermal power plants, but not much. The Philippines, California and Island got also earthquakes and A LOT of these power plants. So that couldn't be the problem.

Your avatar says you are from Tokyo.

Do the media in Japan discuss about a change of power supply? And are their topics?
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

The Prime Minister of Japan, Kan Naoto has just ordered a nuclear power plant in Aichi (Central Japan) to suspend operations since there's a very high risk that a similar major earthquake may hit the area. As for alternative power, there hasn't been much discussion. The best that the government can say is "let's bear the burden of power cuts together"... - not much comfort there...

It's also important to stress that the Japanese power a greater proportion of their appliances off electricity than we do in the west. For example, I'd be surprised if anyone has any heating unit that is not powered off electricity. Cooking is also based around electricity rather than gas (electric stoves are common, and everyone uses an electric rice cooker every day), combined with a tendency to make pretty much everything electric (down to heated toilet seats, that also clean your anus installed in every house. (I'm serious). Therefore power cuts hurt Japanese daily life much more than western ones.
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
buckethead
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by buckethead »

Haha I've seen a couple of toilets like that.. NOT pleasant!
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Well, that was interesting read.

Shouldn't they have batteries installed in each house? Not having any backup supply is not very clever with such one-side energy tactic. Even I have batteries, in case of floods. But unlike Japanese I have gas cooker, gas boiler and "primitive toilet"

And gas cookers are much better for cooking in my opinion :?

I live on a hill so my house never experienced floods, however, it sometimes tears down electricity pylons. In that case I simply stop using unecessary electrical appliances. Fridge is only thing I leave running. And one lamp, so I can read books. I wash clothes manually and iron only those that really need ironing.

So there's at least one thing I am one step ahead of Japan :)

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Drury wrote:And gas cookers are much better for cooking in my opinion :?
And way more dangerous in case of earthquake.
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Oh, didn't think of that.

Another reason not to move. Sweet home.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Yeah - we have gas cookers here, although it might more the fact that this building is only 2 stories. A rare luxury in Japanese cities!
buckethead wrote:Haha I've seen a couple of toilets like that.. NOT pleasant!
What are you talking about? How can they be not pleasant - if you don't what the spraying of your anus, you don't press the button. Stop commenting for the sake of commenting.

--------

Edit: Sorry, turns out there are Thermal Power Plants.
Chubu Electric, based in Nagoya, will lose more than 10 percent of its capacity with the shutdown of the 3.6 million kw Hamaoka plant, its only atomic facility. The company said it will reboot its suspended thermal power station to meet the summer peak demand and ask its users to save electricity.
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ ... 515a2.html
buckethead
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by buckethead »

Gosh, I just meant that I tried it and that its not pleasant. Is there a rule that prohibits me to reply? Plus its not that I reply to every single comment that appears on here.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

mb on [b]Mar 12, 2011[/b] wrote: Japanese authorities now acknowledged a core meltdown.

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... f8#p935220
NHK World wrote: Rapid meltdown occurs in No.1 reactor

Tokyo Electric Power Company says most of the fuel rods in the No.1 reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant had dropped to the bottom of the pressure vessel within 16 hours of the earthquake on March 11th.

The plant operator revealed its findings on Sunday.

TEPCO said it analyzed the data and calculated a timeline for developments in the No. 1 reactor on the assumption that it lost its cooling system as soon as the tsunami hit.

The firm said that about four and half hours after the quake the level of water in the pressure vessel fell below the top of fuel rods and that parts of them began melting.

The temperature of the rods is believed to have reached 2,800 degrees Celsius at this stage, and the meltdown advanced rapidly.

Almost all the rods melted and dropped to the bottom of the pressure vessel by 6:50 am on March 12th.

TEPCO said the temperature dropped after water was poured into the reactor starting at 5:50 AM the same day.

The firm says the melted rods created small holes in the bottom of the vessel. It believes the amount of radioactive substances that could spread from the reactor will be limited.

NHK's correspondent says TEPCO should analyze the situations at the No. 2 and No. 3 reactors as soon as possible.

Monday, May 16, 2011 05:31 +0900 (JST)

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/16_05.html
Although they´re confirming my old post now, two months later, they´re carrying on with downplaying and lies.

regards
Michael
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

And more "news" from Nippon coming in.

Not that the facts are "new" to those in the know, but this is the first time TEPCO likes to report it to the public. You should notice that the reported accidents are "non-design-basis accidents" (German: Super-GAU) of 3 reactors, although TEPCO still nowhere uses this or a related term. Downplaying as usual.
NHK World wrote: Meltdowns also at No.2 and No.3 reactors

The operator of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant says fuel meltdowns are believed to have occurred at the No.2 and No.3 reactors within a few days after the March 11th earthquake and tsunami.

Tokyo Electric Power Company said earlier this month that fuel rods at the plant's No.1 reactor had melted.

The utility said on Tuesday that data analysis shows the No.2 reactor may have lost its cooling system shortly after 1:00 PM on March 14th, 3 days after the quake.

If all the fuel rods were exposed, they would have started melting at around 8:00 PM that day. By 8:00 PM on March 15th --- some 101 hours after the quake --- much of the fuel would have melted and collected at the bottom of the reactor pressure vessel.

The No.3 reactor likely lost its cooling system at around 2:00 AM on March 13th. Fuel would have begun melting at around 9:00 AM that day, and most of it would have dropped to the bottom of the vessel by 3:00 AM on March 14th --- about 60 hours after the quake.

The possibility of a meltdown would have been the same even if the rods were partially submerged in water.
Nearly half the fuel rods at the 2 reactors would have melted down within a week of the March 11th disaster.

Tokyo Electric says it had assumed from the start that the fuel roads were damaged, but had focused on cooling the reactors rather than assessing the extent of damage.

Goshi Hosono, who serves as advisor to the prime minister, said the delay in publicizing the extent of damage may have been inevitable.

But he expressed remorse over the government's overly optimistic response to the crisis.

Masanori Naito of the Institute of Applied Energy says analysis of data on the reactors' conditions is easy, and could have been completed in a day.

He says the analysis should have been done much earlier, as it would have provided important clues to long-term cooling and other measures.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 19:12 +0900 (JST)

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/24_37.html
regards
Michael
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Today it's the 10th anniversary.

regards
Michael
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

It has been a pretty tough year, and they had a recent major earthquake the previous month as well.

While nature is always going to be stronger than us, the more we understand about it, the better can we live alongside it.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。

Return to “Off-Topic”