Model Railways

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Do you add flora and/or fauna, and ballast to your model?

I add flora and(or) fauna
No votes
I add just ballast
20%
I do both
70%
I leave the plain baseboard visible
10%

Total votes: 10

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Train Sets

Post by Redirect Left »

All looking good there, club set looks fantastic, how large is/was it?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

It's not that big. about 5-6 meters probably. Not good with sizes!
You can pretty much see the whole length of it here :P

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

May I enquire as to what sort of points you are using in IMAG0694.jpg? i don't recognize them, and neither does a friend, but they look ideal for my needs! be ace if you could share their model # so i can go do a bit of googling!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Redirect Left wrote:May I enquire as to what sort of points you are using in IMAG0694.jpg? i don't recognize them, and neither does a friend, but they look ideal for my needs! be ace if you could share their model # so i can go do a bit of googling!
Deary me. Pretty easy to find really :P

On the far left is a standard Peco short RH turnout.
The one closest to the camera is a Peco short Y-point
And the one in the background is a Peco Double-slip. Which are really handy, but a pain in the rear to try and set-up and use if you've not used them before.

All Insufrog, which is a bit of a regret now as I wish I'd gone with electrofrog.
None of the Horny rubbish (well, apart from the fiddle-yard). All Peco track elsewhere ;)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I was relating to the motors, not points. Wrong wording, sorry. Didn't help I was half-asleep at the time.
Myself and my australian train modelling friend don't recognize the motors on your points.

But yeah, i'm searching for some decent reliable point motors for constant 24/7 use for a project i'm working on. Then all I have to worry about is unit motors dying, not the points as well :p. Already got some tricks up my sleeve so 24/7 runnign won't break unit motors horrendously fast.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Redirect Left wrote:I was relating to the motors, not points. Wrong wording, sorry. Didn't help I was half-asleep at the time.
You haven't looked at many if you don't recognise them ;)
They are standard Peco Surface/Side-mounted motors.

If you're looking for 24/7 use, they'd wear-out pretty quick. You'd be better off looking at some of the more independent products and servo-controller motors rather than solenoid motors if that is the case.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Well it's more a case of i've never really taken an interest in Peco stuff, nor has my australian friend. I'll have to browse the Peco website and get to know what they do, can recite most Hornby, Bachmann & Lima part numbers off hand (sad I know), know nothing about Peco though :p

Ordered a bunch of them to add to the prototyping for the project, cheers for the info!
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Geo Ghost wrote:It's not that big. about 5-6 meters probably. Not good with sizes!
You can pretty much see the whole length of it here :P
Oof, I love that. Proper train lengths (not being used) is always one of my pet peeves when it comes to model rail setups.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Redirect Left wrote:Well it's more a case of i've never really taken an interest in Peco stuff, nor has my australian friend. I'll have to browse the Peco website and get to know what they do, can recite most Hornby, Bachmann & Lima part numbers off hand (sad I know), know nothing about Peco though :p

Ordered a bunch of them to add to the prototyping for the project, cheers for the info!
Peco far exceeds Hornby and such in terms of track-related items.

I tend to use Peco Track/Motors, Guagemaster electrical components, Bachmann Dynamis controller, and a range of trains (mostly bachmann) :P
Ideally, I'd like a gaugemaster Prodigy and DC controller with brake simulation. But they are hellishly expensive!
lobster wrote:Oof, I love that. Proper train lengths (not being used) is always one of my pet peeves when it comes to model rail setups.
I do love running a proper length train, or near full length now and then. I have enough MK4 coaches here to make two FULL 225 rakes ;)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

This reminds me. Do you use the default train motors to pull a full realistic sized train, or do they need replacing with more powerful ones? I have a Pendolino (Hornby, of this design). I'm looking at giving it 11 or 9 total carriages, as they pull in reality. Not sure if the default motor would pull that weight, or if it'd sit there going "You're 'avin a giraffe lad!"

so far only Peco thing is I have is a track cleaner, comes in handy as I get my track dirt cheap off ebay, often the 'dirt cheap' also means 'black with dirtl', although a bit of elbow grease gets it all sparkling again.

I much prefer Bachmann models over Hornby & Lima (who doesn't with the Lima, eh). Although some of their units have the mostly fiddly coupling ever, these silly poles between them

I'm considering for my next splashout, getting a Realtrack 144, http://www.realtrackmodels.co.uk/shop/4 ... ple_units/ - Although undecided if I want a NR livery, or the old red/grey Metro one, which I always liked.
I've never used or had a RealTrack model before, but I've heard only good things about them, has anyone else got anything to chip in about Realtrack, good or bad?
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Redirect Left wrote:This reminds me. Do you use the default train motors to pull a full realistic sized train, or do they need replacing with more powerful ones? I have a Pendolino (Hornby, of this design). I'm looking at giving it 11 or 9 total carriages, as they pull in reality. Not sure if the default motor would pull that weight, or if it'd sit there going "You're 'avin a giraffe lad!"
I've never had to re-motor anything, but there are models I want to upgrade from the old worm gear and ringfield motors.
The Pendolino is meant to be able to take allt he coaches, but only one bogie is powered and it is, to be honest, pretty terrible.
Not a fan of the Hornby Pendolino. Really is a terrible model!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Righto, cheers for the info.
I've DCC'd a train! My first DCC train is a 142. Some sort of irony there in the oldest most useless model having DCC first.

Currently thinking of rewriting my plan, and doing a scale model of something like Huddersfield, Leeds or Manchester Pic, one i'm familiar with. A friend challenged me to get the right train units for the area and operate the scale to an actual daily timetable. A somewhat ridiculous idea, but a part of my brain is going "Challenge Accepted!"...
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Seeing that Geo wants a GNER 91 whilst you have one yourself, makes you feel a little smug :lol:

That said, I only have 2 Carriages and a DVT for it, and I think I managed to burn the motor out about 5 years ago (it's not been out of the box for at least 2 years!!!!)
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

A321Pilot wrote:Seeing that Geo wants a GNER 91 whilst you have one yourself, makes you feel a little smug :lol:
I'm just waiting to come across one on the cheap :P
Intercity wise, I've got about x4 91s, x2 90s, 2 DVTS, about bout 25 MK4 coaches, and a 47. Full HST rake, plus some old style Hornby 43s. I'm a tad IC mad ;)
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

You can't be that IC Mad, you need to get an 86, an 87 and a 89 still :mrgreen:

And I'm not quite sure how much my 91 cost, it was part of a box set that Hornby used to do.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Depending on how much faith you put into it. eBay has pretty much all your model needs. I've got all my stuff off eBay, and it was all as described and working fine.
Got a 158 Central Trains and a 390 Pendolino on there i'm selling myself currently, both pretty much as new.
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

Talking of DCC and chipping - I've got a DIY DCC set up on my 170 - which has day, night and double-red lighting... and door lights, too.

Have a google for DIY DCC.
Andel
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

Geo Ghost wrote:
A321Pilot wrote:Seeing that Geo wants a GNER 91 whilst you have one yourself, makes you feel a little smug :lol:
I'm just waiting to come across one on the cheap :P
Intercity wise, I've got about x4 91s, x2 90s, 2 DVTS, about bout 25 MK4 coaches, and a 47. Full HST rake, plus some old style Hornby 43s. I'm a tad IC mad ;)
I have 5 IC 43s. 3 Limas and 2 Hornbys, a Hornby Mk.2F and a 47 bodyshell in Swallow livery. I prefer BR Blue/Grey to Swallow. Plenty of Jouef Mk3s.
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

So I've expanded a fair bit since last update. And so has the train collection, you cheeky thing you. ;)

http://www.reddit.com/tb/38sreg
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Endlessness in train set fashion...

http://blog.zeit.de/teilchen/2015/08/19 ... st.link.sf

Return to “Off-Topic”