Model Railways

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Do you add flora and/or fauna, and ballast to your model?

I add flora and(or) fauna
No votes
I add just ballast
20%
I do both
70%
I leave the plain baseboard visible
10%

Total votes: 10

Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Train Sets

Post by Nawdic »

IIRC the 455 is available as a kit through Bratchell Models. Or Here.

There is an APT-P model which was made by Hornby back in the eighties - getting rarer by the minute, there is a couple on Fleabay at the moment.
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

47 407 wrote: There is an APT-P model which was made by Hornby back in the eighties - getting rarer by the minute, there is a couple on Fleabay at the moment.
Ah, back in the 80s. That explains the immense cost of it. I wonder if any company will make more at some point...

Also trying to locate a 185 model, but that seems to be an impossibility. I might take up a friends offer to try moulding some plastic into the right shape and I can fit it with motors myself. He did mention an interest in trying to setup something selling things with his moulding machine, so i guess it'd be a good dry run for him, eh.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

Hornby Pendolinos can handle a real size train... BUT this will almost certainly need a second power unit. One power unit and a dummy will not work unless you add weight to it, which would put more stress on the motor than having an additional motor ever would. Mehano versions would also be a similar case too.
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

If the powered unit already has all wheel drive, is it possible to fit a powered truck in one of the coaches? Back a long time ago, powered coach trucks were sold for passenger trains, as back in the 1960s and before, a realistic length passenger train would be quite heavy with metal sides and wood roofs. Plus needlepoint axle bearings were still relatively unheard of. The solution was to make a powered baggage car or mail car behind the locomotive.

May be some work, but perhaps a powered unit with body damage could have parts scavenged to fit into a passenger car?
Without Trains America Stops

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Cheers for that, he's going to try altering one of the centre passenger units to have a motor on it.

Does anyone here have experience with altering the livery of a train? I'm thinking of altering my 156 from the BR Super Sprinter livery to something more recent, probably EMT or Northern. Has anyone done similar, and can tell me of how the best way to go about it is?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Louie Armstrong
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Louie Armstrong »

Jolteon wrote: Does anyone here have experience with altering the livery of a train? I'm thinking of altering my 156 from the BR Super Sprinter livery to something more recent, probably EMT or Northern. Has anyone done similar, and can tell me of how the best way to go about it is?
Felt tip pens?

Official TT-Jewel Staite FanClub
Official TT-Ellen Page FanClub
Official TT-Hayley Williams FanClub
Official TT-generic yet cute emo woman FanClub
jonty-comp wrote:I accidentally wedged my frigate between some rocks. D:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

...i was thinking of doing it with careful painting, something a bit...higher brow than felt tip pens.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Jolteon wrote:Does anyone here have experience with altering the livery of a train? I'm thinking of altering my 156 from the BR Super Sprinter livery to something more recent, probably EMT or Northern. Has anyone done similar, and can tell me of how the best way to go about it is?
Practise on something first. Never jump straight in.
It's a bit tricky to get the hang of. Some may get it instantly and be a natural. Others, like myself, have trouble and need to practise and experiment first.

The best way to do painting is spray-painting the models. Though that is costly to get the right gear. if you use paint brushes, you need a very steady hand and a smooth way of painting. This is where I go wrong. I am not steady handed and my paint always comes out with lines everywhere :P
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

yeah, considering my 'drawing' is stick figures i don't hold too much hope for painting. I guess I could try to design a template on a computer, print it out and cut it up, and use it as a stencil or something to spray over?
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Tis indeed possible. A few people use that technique. As well as masking tape.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Louie Armstrong wrote:
Jolteon wrote: Does anyone here have experience with altering the livery of a train? I'm thinking of altering my 156 from the BR Super Sprinter livery to something more recent, probably EMT or Northern. Has anyone done similar, and can tell me of how the best way to go about it is?
Felt tip pens?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Always you, Armstrong!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Louie Armstrong
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Louie Armstrong »

Dave wrote:
Louie Armstrong wrote:
Felt tip pens?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Always you, Armstrong!
Haha just offering a suggestion my man, :lol:

I don't think I'd even consider giving it a go myself, so fair play if you do have a try. My painting skills aren't too bad when it comes to WH40k but I don't think that would translate to clear and crisp train liveries.

Official TT-Jewel Staite FanClub
Official TT-Ellen Page FanClub
Official TT-Hayley Williams FanClub
Official TT-generic yet cute emo woman FanClub
jonty-comp wrote:I accidentally wedged my frigate between some rocks. D:
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

I've done Amtrak striping with Sharpies before. Plus to blacken brass wire (Like when used in handrals), a black sharpie is my preferred method.

The Amtrak striping took a little practice on scrap plastic, but using a straightedge helped too. Plus several light passes, rather than heavy pressure on the marker and one pass, made a huge difference in quality.

Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

Vinyl overlays are quite popular now. Maybe worth having a squizz and see if what you want is out there.
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

Man, this poor topic does have it's quiet times. Anyway, I have a heap of updates since the last meaningful post I did.

My OO fleet has decreased a fair bit. The EWS train is still around and attracting plenty attention. The ScotRail 158s still await their multiple running modifications. The HO scale EF510s don't see the outside world too often. Everything else? Gone or attempting to sell. My bridge was also sold just the other day.

So surely I've gained a lot of space now, everyone says. Ummm, well... not quite.

Many more to find at my Instagram/Twitter/Tumblr accounts [@AzumangaDavo or AzumangaDavo]
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Oof, those are some sexy trains right there. Great shots and beautiful scenery, too. I'll make sure to get some pics of both my 00 as well as my N stuff soon, although nothing is even remotely as good-looking as these are.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

My dad picked up some cheap used ones:
V200.JPG
V200.JPG (264.96 KiB) Viewed 2841 times
An old V200. Crazy how cheap you can get them - I think this one cost something like 25€. Has some scratches and is perhaps not quite as nice as the new model, but 10 years ago you wouldn't have gotten this below 100€ or so.
T18.JPG
T18.JPG (247.8 KiB) Viewed 2841 times
Same for this one. Didn't even run once (well, maybe once) and I think it was below 100€. Apparently people don't like this model too much ;)

And you really notice the impact of people selling their stuff currently, or at least that's my impression. It's just not as "mainstream popular" as it once was.

Admittedly personally I probably wouldn't have picked up either of them ;) I don't like the V200 too much and the T18 in it's weird light-blue-ish color, weeell ...
... but obviously I'm not complaining about things I don't have to pay for :wink:

²Doorslammer
Nice shots. Crazy long trains, too. I'm surprised they're running properly. ^^;
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

During warm months, I take Lionel trains out on my patio. Of course, I bring everything inside except for track if the forecast calls for rain, and cover the track with a tarp. If storms are in the forecast, I bring the track in too. Means I can set up a different layout every time.

An overview:
HPIM1652 (Custom).JPG
(231.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet

A lot of stuff from the 1940s and 1950s here:
HPIM1653 (Custom).JPG
HPIM1653 (Custom).JPG (211.98 KiB) Viewed 494 times

Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

Pyoro wrote:²Doorslammer
Nice shots. Crazy long trains, too. I'm surprised they're running properly. ^^;
Strangely enough, the EF66s are really struggling! Maybe the tyres are old and starting to lose their grip. One had already snapped off, so it's very much a possibility.

I have have proper replacement tyres, but if I do run out, I now have a bottle of the "bullfrog snot" that will help out. A liquid mixture that cures into a new tractionable tyre, what a world we live in!

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Doorslammer: I've been trying to get hold of some Australian models, and good heavens aussie models are expensive! and sadly a lot of modern AUS trains are yet to be modelled into HO/OO yet :(

Return to “Off-Topic”