Model Railways

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Do you add flora and/or fauna, and ballast to your model?

I add flora and(or) fauna
No votes
I add just ballast
20%
I do both
70%
I leave the plain baseboard visible
10%

Total votes: 10

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Model Railways

Post by Hyronymus »

Pilot wrote:
Dave wrote:Yeah there's been a couple of close shaves between local traffic and a mug shaped UFO which has landed...
Let me guess, it's only ever the town drunk who sees this UFO, so everyone thinks he's just crazy? :lol:
Fair guess I think as I also spotted a bottle of Makers Mark on the photo.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Said bottle, when much fuller, may have been used to hold down certain elements I was gluing...!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Looks good, Dave. Is that viaduct a Scalescenes kit? I've built a few of them myself, even once turned the brick viaduct kit into a low relief front for part of one of my towns, using the shops addon in it.

Since I manage an N scale model railroad club, it's been almost six months since I have done anything at all with my N scale layout at home, so I am planning to remove track, structures, any scenery that does not fit HO/OO, and reuse the basic layout as a British layout in OO scale. I have a few old Hornby/Triang locomotives (Two are actually labeled Triang) and some old OO british cars. Found the Bachmann version of Thomas the Tank Engine at a thrift store for one dollar (Retails for nearly a hundred now new) and rebuilt it into a reasonable, though stubby, rendition of the LB&SC loco he was based on. One of the Scottish Twins, with his face removed and a regular boiler front added, became a Lancashire & Yorkshire loco. Regardless of their stated Caldonian Railways heritage, they bear an extremely strong resemblance (At least in the American merchandise and in the TV shows) to locos owned by the L&Y. Right down to the red and white pinstriping. As my income flucuates, and it's hard to get "Real" British stuff in the States, I've had to improvise with those two. Compared to my old GWR "Hall" Class (Old loco with the mechnaical chugger on a tender axle, took a bit of work to repair it when I got it) and a very old BR Jinty whose flanges do not even work well on Code 100 rail, the two conveted Thomas locos are my only "Modern" motive power.
Without Trains America Stops

Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

Had a play on one of these. WiFi to a phone and tablet app puts out a live feed, also records video for everyone's viewing pleasure. Bloke's bought two of them, which is a bit mad, but there you go.

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Will have to get my hands on one of these, considering that's something i've been wanting to do myself for a while, now i can see how a company has done it and recreate it!

Is the output video decent quality?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

My internet is awful and this duplicated itself. Love Australia... :roll:
Last edited by Doorslammer on 18 Jul 2017 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

Excuse the general crapness of the rest, but here is some test pieces.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Unluckily side views seems to be limited (can't see what's up next on curves !), otherwise could be an interesting thing to drive the train from a console or so !

Do I have/make model rails ? Well, no. But I have some of the blue rail tomy thing from when I was very small. Sadly many of the engines were damaged in the numerous floods.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

I guess this could go into the "I've been playing with LEGO again..." thread, but our collaborative LEGO railway layouts has advanced into almost model railways now - this is from "Klossfestivalen 2017" (Brick Festival 2017) in Örebro, Sweden.

Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

YNM wrote:Unluckily side views seems to be limited (can't see what's up next on curves !), otherwise could be an interesting thing to drive the train from a console or so !
I would think that this was more of a consequence of tight curves on our particular project. Definitely more effective on completed layouts with scenery to take away that sensation.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

I may have turned out club layout into the West Coast Mainline last week.. :P
Attachments
DSC_1816.JPG
(3.86 MiB) Not downloaded yet
DSC_1827.JPG
(3.53 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Someone is looking overly enthusiastic about that situation.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Oh god, I never saw that in the thumbnail!!! :lol: :lol:
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

A Model Trains Discord... thing is here: https://discord.gg/xzZ6AYM
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

So as a gift to my nephew and niece of 2 and 4 respectively , I'm thinking of picking up something like pic related. Of course, it pains my realism-loving heart but I do know this is a lot more fun to them than getting a fullblown one.

Anyone have any experience with these things? Are there similar, better options?
Attachments
maxresdefault.jpg
Fry concert
(1000.67 KiB) Not downloaded yet
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

It hurts to say, but I wish there was a bit more co-operation between model companies on the subject of kids play sets like these. Hornby now have a Junior range, which I suspect would be yet another system entirely.

I wonder if there is more value in purchasing simpler second-hand model railway stock and utilising a local club? Just something to consider. Otherwise, I'm sure it's a fine product.
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Doorslammer wrote:I wonder if there is more value in purchasing simpler second-hand model railway stock and utilising a local club? Just something to consider. Otherwise, I'm sure it's a fine product.
That's in theory the other option. I have some old Märklin early 90's stuff laying around but it tends to feel old, break, and it's too dangerous.
I hadn't seen the Hornby junior stuff yet, and it actually looks better than the Märklin stuff (that is, their nowadays stuff - if I could go back in time I'd buy different stuff, for sure). But as far as I can tell only the Hornby-owned companies like Lima are supporting it, indeed.

Seeing as I need to import the Hornby stuff this just makes my decisions a lot harder. In the end I'm probably getting them some of the My World things, when I find the right bargain.
Last edited by lobster on 29 Oct 2017 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

At that age I think I'd stick with some wooden train or something. BRIO? Or maybe Lego.

Then, when they are 6-7, get them the good stuff. ^^
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

Pyoro wrote:At that age I think I'd stick with some wooden train or something. BRIO? Or maybe Lego.

Then, when they are 6-7, get them the good stuff. ^^
What are you chatting!? Brio is the bees knees
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I figured out how to edit the poll, so there's a new one up!

Nice to see this topic still having activity, and hopefully everyone is still just as enthusiastic about their layouts as they were back when the topic was started!

Return to “Off-Topic”