Speed Test

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Speed Test

Post by doktorhonig »

It's funny how I beat the 1mbit up almost anytime with my hsdpa modem. Shame on dsl-providers...
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Fixed machine, but it seems to be having a bad day (usualy around 16/18).

Wireless Netbook :P

My Mobilephone (Sorry no screenshot; but here are the details;)

Download: 1.37 Mbps
Upload: 0.9 Mbps
Ping: 71
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
GurraJG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GurraJG »

Pretty much what I pay for.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Chrill wrote:That's what I'm getting right now. I should have 40/40 but I clearly don't..
Could just be that the remote testing server isn't quite up to scratch, or there is some sort of network congestion between you and that server. Speedtest.net certainly isn't necessarily perfect.
2006TTD
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2006TTD »

I now more satisfied with the new ISP. :D
But the downside is that they only provide static IP, and I think dynamic IP is better because of my downloads.
Face the fearful with no fear, and its fearfulness disappears.
Jacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Jacko »

Hehe, just tried my one for the first time. What we pay for. pretty good for our house.
Speedtest.png
Speedtest.png (11.81 KiB) Viewed 11039 times
"O2 is for noobs, real people breath O3" ~ said sometime by Me

All comments from me may or may not be true and do not take them word-for-word

Feel Free to join me and some other people in The Nations Game - its actually quite fun.

1000th Post at Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:43 am
2000th post at Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:22 am
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

2006TTD wrote:But the downside is that they only provide static IP, and I think dynamic IP is better because of my downloads.
A dynamic IP is *better* than a static IP? How very silly. I assume you're referring to sites like ... I can't even remember the name of them now, but those silly paid-for download sites where free users can only download at 5KB/s every 3 days or whatever. You should simply choose better sites to download from. ;)

Also, while you get those sorts of speeds locally, do you download much content from outside Hong Kong, or the nearby region? How are speeds to, say, Europe, or America? I found they weren't fantastic when I was in Hong Kong, although not too bad by all means (had a 20Mbps connection at my hotel, got great speeds locally or from Akamai cache servers).
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Heh?!

This can't be right! An upload speed far superior to my download speed!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
buckethead
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by buckethead »

Call the internet company and complain about your internet being too fast.

Only in these absurd cases they will be willing to help you! :lol:
Daan Timmer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Daan Timmer »

2006TTD wrote:Image

I win ;-)

"Your arguments are totally nothing.. They have so little meaning that its kind of funny you took the time to write them"
"your pixels aren't good enough to talk to me.. sorry"
"Random does not mean fair, and past results do not influence future occurrences." - Corbenn
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Do you happen to work for the company that runs the test server? :P
Daan Timmer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Daan Timmer »

nope, am on a 500mbit outwards fiber line. @Campzone, large outdoor lan-party, for 11days.

"Your arguments are totally nothing.. They have so little meaning that its kind of funny you took the time to write them"
"Random does not mean fair, and past results do not influence future occurrences." - Corbenn
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Daan Timmer wrote:nope, am on a 500mbit outwards fiber line. @Campzone, large outdoor lan-party, for 11days.
They are finally on a proper stable connection over there then?
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

The best my broadband connection can produce (usually mired in 1.5Mbps download).
And from my phone :shock: !

This isn't how it is meant to work :( .
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
mrMann
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mrMann »

Well, we managed to use up 10 GB of bandwith in three days. Ouch. :lol: And I've not even been gaming online... the new provider seems slightly faster, but only slightly. But the figures suggest otherwise:

Hmm, what should I put here...
buckethead
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by buckethead »

mrMann wrote:Well, we managed to use up 10 GB of bandwith in three days. Ouch. :lol: And I've not even been gaming online... the new provider seems slightly faster, but only slightly. But the figures suggest otherwise:

This is even worse than mine! Are you in middle of a desert?
mrMann
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mrMann »

No, but rural parts of England may as well be... some places just 5 miles or so away either don't get broadband at all, or struggle!
Hmm, what should I put here...
doktorhonig
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by doktorhonig »

Class 165 wrote:And from my phone :shock: !

This isn't how it is meant to work :( .
I had that one from my phone:
I only get high uploads with a modem, so probably the phone doesn't support hsupa.
2006TTD
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2006TTD »

orudge wrote: A dynamic IP is *better* than a static IP? How very silly. I assume you're referring to sites like ... I can't even remember the name of them now, but those silly paid-for download sites where free users can only download at 5KB/s every 3 days or whatever. You should simply choose better sites to download from. ;)
I guess I lacked knowledge regarding that, could you tell me more about the difference between static and dynamic IP?
And regarding the download sites, I'm now fine with them since I have now found some better sites as you've mentioned. There always other choices. :)
orudge wrote: Also, while you get those sorts of speeds locally, do you download much content from outside Hong Kong, or the nearby region? How are speeds to, say, Europe, or America? I found they weren't fantastic when I was in Hong Kong, although not too bad by all means (had a 20Mbps connection at my hotel, got great speeds locally or from Akamai cache servers).
I download content from Hong Kong and sometimes other parts of the world, however, I don't really know where the servers are located. Sometimes I can get up to a few hundred KB (Bytes), say 200-500 KB, when I download from foreign sites. But my experience does not match with the speedtest results, I wonder why? Server is too busy?

London:
New York:

Daan Timmer wrote:I win ;-)
Well good for you then! :D
Face the fearful with no fear, and its fearfulness disappears.
Daan Timmer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Daan Timmer »

Yes, I got to say that my e-peen grew quite a bit :-]

Return to “Off-Topic”