Anime

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

it is Final Fantasy .. . anime .... 25 episodes (in first part)
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
ashley26ph2002
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ashley26ph2002 »

any anime lovers to share thier info
AAK
Chairman
Chairman

Post by AAK »

I LOVE GUNDAM WING!!!!
HEAVYARMS ROCKS!!!!
HOOHAH!!!
sultana
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by sultana »

Nah, anime is old skoool, back when I was in primary school or something :roll: :P But if it counts.... Futurama is cool :D
Things to do:
1) Bend
2) Cheese It
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Anime

Post by lobster »

Anyone noticed there's that guy who digs up old topics? Oh wait, today it's me!

Looking through a thorough search of the off-topic forums I found this hilariously old topic, and even though I could've made one in a whiff (which is an official time measurement, and about 0.25 seconds or something silly like that) I decided to dig up this old one instead, not only to make everyone aware of the various rather hilarious typos (sorry for that :P ) but because once there's a topic on something, t'is best to stick to it. So hereby I present to you the renewed and improved Anime Topic. Welcome, won't you?

My personal favourite anime series would most probably be either Seto no Hanayome (a bizarre romance/slapstick comedy series about a guy who is forced to marry a mermaid, and it indeed is as retarded as it sounds, quite hilarious) or Ouran High School Host Club (a bit of shoujo parody, where a group of extremely rich male students entertain extremely rich female students, which clearly parodies the standard shoujo stereotypes: cool type, hero type, shota, twins etc. - I know it doesn't sound that appealing, but give the first episode a shot and you'll be sold, I'm sure of it. Also don't read up on it beforehand, there's a cool twist at the beginning that's too awesome to be spoilereded).

I'm really into comedy/romance anime, and I really loved Toradora! which is a true recommendation if you love the genre. Also I recently finished Clannad, which was rather brilliant. Some other recommended series in this genre (in my opinion, of course):
- Kimi ni Todoke (girl that looks like the girl from Ring has no friends until the coolest guy in school notices her - cutest and most cuddly anime series ever)
- Full Metal Panic!, FMP: Fumoffu and FMP: The Second Raid (mixture of romantic comedy and mecha battles + general awesome action. There's 3 series now, a fourth might be made as soon as the novels are finished)
- FCLC (or Furi Kuri, a one shot, 6-episode OVA that is very different, has brilliant animation and rather bizarre humour)
- Kanon (I have yet to see all of it, but it's from the people that made Clannad, so it should be good - so far it is)

Now, looking back I was a bit premature in calling SnH and Ouran my favourite anime series, because my actual, all time supreme favourite series is K-On!, about four girls that decide to start a band. It's based on a panel comic, not a regular manga, and features some of the best deadpan dry comedy as well as some of the best characters ever (Yui is my waifu!). And because it's a music anime it features some brilliant tunes - the K-On! character singles have been on repeat on my iPod for some weeks now. And if you like it, there's a second series, a short side series (Ura-on) and the very similar yet brilliant in it's own right Sora no Woto.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

So, you thought that was all, right? Nope, just ran out of characters (or at least I thought I would).

Anyway, getting back to enjoyable anime series, here's a list of other, non-romantic comedy series that I found to be brilliant:
- Gurren Lagann (MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT SHALL PIERCE THROUGH THE HEAVENS!! DON'T BELIEVE IN YOURSELF, BELIEVE IN ME WHO BELIEVES IN YOU!! This is mandatory viewing, truly brilliant)
- Fullmetal Alchemist, or better Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (two brothers, alchemists, go on a search for the philosopher's stone through a land devoured by wars and hatred. Another mandatory one, especially FMA: Brotherhood which closely follows the manga and has a nicer pace, the original's a bit slow but has a different story. Also, don't watch the movie unless you have the nagging urge of completing everything - like I do myself)
- Samurai Champloo (original anime from the creator of Cowboy Bebop - which also is a classic - that revolves around three people in Edo-era Japan, a girl named Fuu that's looking for a man that smells of sunflowers, and Jin and Mugen - two fighters that hate each other but promised Fuu to accompany her and not attack one another. Of course, a bond grows throughout the series. This anime mixes hip-hop into the historic setting, and has some truly great comedic moments - in fact, this series is so good, that both Tenebrae as well as myself have a Jin bag. Watch it, you'll not be disappointed)
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (this is tough to explain without giving away the plot, but it's brilliant. Also, if you're gonna watch it, watch it with the second series in the DVD order, not the broadcast order. Also also, you're only a real man if you watch all Endless Eight episodes :wink: )
- Bakemonogatari (this should've been in the previous post, one of the best-selling anime series of recent history. Artsy, harsh, beautiful and with a good story, this is the anime that revolves around a guy that has had treatment in order to not become a vampire. When he meets a girl as light as a feather he decides to help her out too)
- Neon Genesis Evangelion (probably the nr. 1 classic anime series ever, and brilliant at that - highly mandatory viewing. Mindfuck, giant robots but also the coming-of-age story of a boy that never knew his father and cannot cope with the responsibilities laid upon him. If you're gonna watch it, don't watch the last 2 episodes but End of Evangelion instead - at the time they wrapped up the last 2 episodes without any money, so they redid them like they were supposed to later on. After you've seen this, you can also start the alternate retelling of Evangelion 1.0 and 2.0, which is an ongoing series of movies, as well as Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and it's follow-up series)
- Excel Saga (comedy anime at it's best - extremely fast-paced, constantly absurd and with the quickest VA ever. If you like it and haven't died from laughter after 26 episodes, watch the 2-episode OVA Puni Puni Poemy as well. AFRO POWER!)

Well, this concludes my post so far, I have tons more to write, discuss and recommend, but actually I'm more interested in your input, recommendations and whatnot. So, let the discussion commence!

PS: It's always a good thing to keep track of what you watch. As you've noticed, I've been linking to MyAnimeList in these posts - a handy tool if you watch too many series. My list is at http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Crabster so drop by if you have an account, too.

PSPS: I attached the winter 2010-2011 season scheme for those interested in the upcoming series.

Toodles!
Attachments
winter2011.jpg
Feli cemmont
(2.41 MiB) Not downloaded yet
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

ROBOTECH is my favorite, once you get past some of the obvious falsities regarding military operations
May the force be with you.
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Seeker
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Seeker »

I'm a big anime and manga fan all started with gundam wing. If you want to watch a lot of anime or read manga a good site to go is

http://www.animefreak.tv/

Just finished watching Gundam Seed, much the same as Wing but much more upto date. Other good series i've enjoyed is
Air Gear - all about rollerblade gangs but the skates are powered by powerful motors so they can do tricks up sides of buildings.

Eureka 7 - One of the best animes I have seen for many years. Giant robots, aliens,insane generals and great character development.

The .Hack// seriers - This one is a bit strange. It's based on people playing a VR MMORPG where someone cant log out coz their body isn't contected anymore and is in a coma. It's based on the point of view of the characters in the game, you don't see the real world to much.

And Finally Pokemon was good when I was a kid but it was all Digimon for me
TT-Screenshot Of The Month - December 2013 (Winner)
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Not really much of an Anime fan - at the moment I'm trying to devote more time to reading Japanese novels than Anime :)

But gradually I'm chomping through Nodame Cantabile (the anime!) - set in a music school :D
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

lobster wrote:- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (this is tough to explain without giving away the plot, but it's brilliant. Also, if you're gonna watch it, watch it with the second series in the DVD order, not the broadcast order. Also also, you're only a real man if you watch all Endless Eight episodes :wink: )
Just finished it off today. Luckily, Endless Eight does end. Eventually. But a great series nevertheless. :lol:
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

Everyone who liked TTGL should check out Gunbuster, just fin the 1080p remaster of it.
I'm pretty sure that the whole GATTAI! and THE POSE! thing in TTGL is from Gunbuster.

Related picture:
Gunbuster on the left, Diebuster in the center and Gurren Lagann on the right.
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs29/f/2008/ ... dinger.jpg

Related video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0BqKGnDR0M
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

rdrdrdrd wrote:ROBOTECH is my favorite, once you get past some of the obvious falsities regarding military operations
Robotech's actually on my to watch list (or at least should be on it), as I've heard more positive things about it.
Seeker wrote:Just finished watching Gundam Seed, much the same as Wing but much more upto date.
Gundam's been on my list, but the entire series is so vast I haven't a clue where to start, to be honest. Will check out Seed - and perhaps Wing first, in case there's small differences.
JamieLei wrote:But gradually I'm chomping through Nodame Cantabile (the anime!) - set in a music school
Ah yes, another one that's on my list. Aren't they doing the final series (Nodame Cantabile Finale) at the moment? Should be mighty interesting.
Doorslammer wrote:Just finished it off today. Luckily, Endless Eight does end. Eventually. But a great series nevertheless.
T'is brilliant indeed. And I have some more good news for you: the movie's just come out. And it's rather fantastic. :)
Killer 11 wrote:Everyone who liked TTGL should check out Gunbuster, just fin the 1080p remaster of it.
I'm pretty sure that the whole GATTAI! and THE POSE! thing in TTGL is from Gunbuster.
That's a solid recommendation, anything being an inspirational source for TTGL is very relevant to my interests.

DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Oh man, I will get back to you, I just got too much to even begin naming.
However I'm more into manga's these days unless it's a very good anime.
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

for robotech the macross saga blows the other two out of the water, the masters is my least favorite, and new generation is ok, I just love the Mecha :D
May the force be with you.
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Seeker
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Seeker »

Seeker wrote:Just finished watching Gundam Seed, much the same as Wing but much more upto date.
Gundam's been on my list, but the entire series is so vast I haven't a clue where to start, to be honest. Will check out Seed - and perhaps Wing first, in case there's small differences.

There are older series before gundam wing but most are stand alone anyways, they dont have much 2 do with each other apart from all having gundam in them. That is apart from Seed that has a follow on season seed destiny and the odd film like Gundam wing Endless walts that finishes off that one.
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

He sure does.
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

Seeker wrote:

There are older series before gundam wing but most are stand alone anyways, they dont have much 2 do with each other apart from all having gundam in them. That is apart from Seed that has a follow on season seed destiny and the odd film like Gundam wing Endless walts that finishes off that one.
Actually, it's Wing , SEED and 00 that are unrelated.

Prettymuch all the other shows are UC shows, they all run in the same timeline and are sequels of original Gundam.
Latest UC show is an OVA called Unicorn it's the most amazing gundam animation of them all.

Oh and 00 is pretty awesome too, it has tons of fresh mecha designs(mmmmmm Flag...).

Couldn't find a good vid but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY3vhtJ1UAw everything with "Sunrise" logo on the bottom right is from Unicorn.
Seeker
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Seeker »

I dont think i worded it write earlier but thank for clearing it up I typed it in the wrong order lol. I meant the gundam series all seem to be stand alone apart from the odd film that ends series off like endless walts except gundam seed that has a follow on series seed destiny. its that makes any more sence

And Animefreak.tv have just started showing the unicorn series plus have wing, seed, seed destiny, 00 and Fighter G gundam all worth watching.
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Just finishing up Clannad After Story at the moment, and it's - as I strongly suspected - rather brilliant. A must-see for anyone that likes a bit of drama in their slice of life/romance. And I know I do.

Next up's finishing some series I left for a bit, mainly Strike Witches 2, Da Capo and Sora no Otoshimono Forte.

DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

marjhunaz wrote:Fairy tail is my favorite anime. ill always watching everyday and now i watching season 2 of fairy tail. i done watching all episode of season 1.
Wow! A 10+ year old topic.
That's got to be medal worthy. :p

I seem to get back to someone about my list of Anime I've seen in 2010 and that list became quite bigger in the mean time (I even wrote a program to list them all). :|
So I'm not gonna anyway, however there is one series I recommend anyone loving a bit of good ol' fantasy action:
Attack on Titan
Or it's romanized Japanese name:
Shingeki no Kyojin

Also, if someone tells you to watch 'Boku no Pico', stay far away from that person! :tongue:

Return to “Off-Topic”