This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 153311

Post by Ameecher »

orudge wrote:Maybe there are no trains anywhere nearby where he lives?
As a general rule most people go to school near to where they live.
mrMann wrote:As a side note, the railway actually goes right past our school
mrMann
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mrMann »

:lol: Ameecher, that was amusing.
Hmm, what should I put here...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I think I missed that post. :P
Melfice
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Melfice »

I know of a city in the US, Ames in Iowa, that has a railroad going right through the city centre, and yet it had no station (anymore. Last train stopped there around the 1900's, I believe.)

Regardless of trains actually stopping where he lives, age has NOTHING to do with it.
I've travelled in a train since I was 1 years old (with my parents there, of course).
I've travelled on my own since I was 12, I think. 12 or 14.
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Yes, that would be Ames, Iowa. I was there a couple years ago for a Boy Scout awards ceremony. My dad got an award that has been only awarded to less than 50 professional scouters after WWII.

I think they still got old GMC Fishbowl buses on CyRide, their transit line. At least, I saw one when I was there.

Iowa: One big branchline state!
Without Trains America Stops

Melfice
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Melfice »

Railwaymodeler wrote:Yes, that would be Ames, Iowa. I was there a couple years ago for a Boy Scout awards ceremony. My dad got an award that has been only awarded to less than 50 professional scouters after WWII.

I think they still got old GMC Fishbowl buses on CyRide, their transit line. At least, I saw one when I was there.

Iowa: One big branchline state!
Maybe for emergencies they still roll 'em out, but last I was there (last December) they only rode around their newer fleet. Unless it was on a line I never took.
mrMann
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mrMann »

Melfice wrote:I know of a city in the US, Ames in Iowa, that has a railroad going right through the city centre, and yet it had no station (anymore. Last train stopped there around the 1900's, I believe.)

Regardless of trains actually stopping where he lives, age has NOTHING to do with it.
I've travelled in a train since I was 1 years old (with my parents there, of course).
There's no point travelling on the train: we have two cars, and I am perfectly capable of biking ten miles, then coming back up the hill (when the bike works, which is another story... :D)
Hmm, what should I put here...
Melfice
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Melfice »

mrMann wrote:
Melfice wrote:I know of a city in the US, Ames in Iowa, that has a railroad going right through the city centre, and yet it had no station (anymore. Last train stopped there around the 1900's, I believe.)

There's no point travelling on the train: we have two cars, and I am perfectly capable of biking ten miles, then coming back up the hill (when the bike works, which is another story... :D)
Then just go somewhere for fun if you feel like it!
Surely there's some city you'd like to go to, that's beyond the range of your bike? Just do it. At least once.

Of course, if you really don't want to, who are we to push you? =P
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

orudge wrote:
Badger wrote:No, I've been using trains from a very young age. You don't need a reason to use one, just do it.
Maybe there are no trains anywhere nearby where he lives? In Orkney, I very rarely went on trains, since there weren't any! :P
Well I would have excused that, good reason :wink:
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

We have 4 cars in our household but I still regularily catch the train.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

mrMann wrote:

Well, there is a good reason for you to catch a train, and do it soon - as you are under 16, you still pay a child fare. When I was 15 I went round the Settle and Carlisle from Durham on my own, and went out to Whitby on my own as well. So get out there and take advantage of it, you will only be under 16 once!
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Ameecher wrote:We have 4 cars in our household but I still regularily catch the train.
Lie! I thought you said you'd rather drive to Norwich whenever you could, rather than getting the train from Sheringham!
Ps it's spelt "regularly" ;)
Kevo00 wrote:Well, there is a good reason for you to catch a train, and do it soon - as you are under 16, you still pay a child fare. When I was 15 I went round the Settle and Carlisle from Durham on my own, and went out to Whitby on my own as well. So get out there and take advantage of it, you will only be under 16 once!
I passed off with child fares for a whole year after I turned 16. Oddly I never got challenged then, although when I was actually 15 I had to prove my age multiple times, including one time having to buy a full-fare Travelcard because I didn't have ID on me.

But low low Wal-Mart-low fares include managing to get from Birmingham to Gatwick Airport for just over a tenner (Chiltern, Tube, Southern) and the ridiculously low London Transport prices (£2 Travelcard Z1-6, £1 Travelcard Z1-9 if travelling with an adult oyster card holder). Alas those days are gone. But thankfully if you get a 16-25 Railcard, the fares only increase by 1/3 from the child rate (although you have to pay for the Railcard itself)
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Pretty sure I said I'd rather travel by train than car to Norwich but no doubt you shall prove me wrong.
Reasons?
Train: fare (without student railcard as mine has expired): £5.30, time 35minutes + 10 min walk to city centre.
Car: fare (well about £2 in fuel but...) £1.20/hour at the multi-storey at St Andrews or go to the park and ride and sit on a bus for 15 minutes to complete the last run into the city centre (by driving to the multi-storey in the centre you save 10 minutes over catching the bus and depending on how long you go for it is cheaper and you can leave the city later).
time by car: 40 minutes to the ring road. 10 minutes to the centre.

However car wins if you aren't go to the city centre because aside from the free bus from the station to the bus station, well buses in Norwich are w***. There are a lot of them but you have bugger all idea where they go and they cost a bomb.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Well of course sproglets travel free on London Transport now (bad idea; now we have lots of kids on tube trains, and children sitting when adults are standing!).

And 'meecher you really must remember to renew your railcard old chap. Sadly I'm facing having to pay the full adult price for the first time in my life soon because I'll no longer be entitled to renew my 16-25 card once my student status runs out.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Well I'm not bothering to renew it now until after I get back from travelling otherwise that'll be a month wasted.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Ameecher wrote:Well I'm not bothering to renew it now until after I get back from travelling otherwise that'll be a month wasted.
Get a Natwest student account - free 5 year railcard!
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Dave

Post by Dave »

JamieLei wrote:
Ameecher wrote:Well I'm not bothering to renew it now until after I get back from travelling otherwise that'll be a month wasted.
Get a Natwest student account - free 5 year railcard!
He's taking a gap year and isn't entitled to a student account according to most banks rules.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Some say it was responsible for the outbreak of swine flu, and, on Tuesday, painted itself gold to pose as Michael Jackson's coffin.
All we know is it's called 153311.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Good dig. I approve.
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Ameecher wrote:Good dig. I approve.
If you're going to do something to it properly.

Return to “Off-Topic”