Doctor Who (Warning: 2023 specials Spoilers from page 22)

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Geo Ghost

Re: Doctor Who (Warning: End of Time spoilers from page 18)

Post by Geo Ghost »

That's a bit too much youtube for today I think...

Also, they can't pronounce Daleks properly!
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Wait, what, that's not a parody?
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Nope i am afraid not.
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

The first official trailer for Season 9 (2015) has been released!
And IMO, it's looking to be a whopper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB8fh4QUy-A
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Bit quiet in here!
I'm loving the new series a lot more than the last. New doctor has warmed up a bit, we had a Claraless episode, vikings and some of that old style creepy sortof spooky episodes of the past! I can't decide if I am liking the tendency of two parters or not though...

In other news, there is a Doctor Who movie slated for 2017, it'll focus on K-9. I was hoping for something more focussed on the doctor as a whole not his old dog, but it could be promising regardless.

Anyone else have any input on the current series, or indeed the movie news?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Dave

Post by Dave »

More Capaldi less Clara.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Steven Moffat will step down after the next series. He'll be replaced by Broadchurch creator Chris Chibnall. Furthermore, 2016 will seemingly have no season, and show just a christmas special this year.

Moffats final season will air in Spring 2017, it seems they've decided to give it a rest year so Moffats final swansong will be more appreciated.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-01- ... s-chibnall

Personally, I do not watch Broadchurch, and I have no idea who Chris Chibnall is, so I have no idea what to expect, anyone know anything about it or him? Only thing I know is the two main characters of Broadchurch have both appeared on Doctor Who, David Tennant was obviously Doctor #10, and Olivia Colman appeared on 'The Eleventh Hour', as one of the humans inhabited by Prisoner Zero.

edit: There's now an article on BBC Blogs http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/en ... bd514f02fe
Last edited by Redirect Left on 22 Jan 2016 23:52, edited 3 times in total.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I'm very late to this, but I recently got around to watching Doctor Who. Skipped the old stuff and started with Christopher Ecclestone. Currently at the second season of Matt Smith and I'm just... bored. He's no fun. I miss David Tennant. I also much prefer Martha Jones and Rose over Amy Pond and her little husband. It's become a bit too much of "seen this" and a sense of... well, Matt Smith feels flat compared to Tennant and to Ecclestone. I hope the show improves when I get to Capaldi.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Chibnall wrote some Torchwood episodes, can't remember if he's written any Doctor Who though.

As for Matt Smith, I've got the series 5-7 Blu-Rays, need to watch Matt Smith again. I seem to recall some of the episodes were very good, some less so. Moffat's series 1-4 episodes were great, the best, but perhaps having him write "full time" meant the overall quality was lower. Definitely not bad though. I've enjoyed Peter Capaldi's episodes too.
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

There was a massive style and tone shift with Matt Smith as that's when Russell T. Davies's era ended and Moffat's began (went from tragic / dark-and-edgy to, in Moffat's own words, "fairy tale"), and that seems to account for the polarized opinions about Eleven and his series.

Fans who started with Nine or Ten seem to really hate him, and fans who started with Eleven, having no previous impression of RTD's era, seem to absolutely love him, especially the younger fans. So there's that. I'm not accounting for fans of Classic Who just because the differences between the classic series and the revived series are so massive, so opinions must vary incredibly. But with regards to Nine/Ten vs. Eleven, this is the trend I've seen since the start.

Eleven's series does get much darker as it goes on (though I reckon not as dark as Ten's, especially during his last episodes), but I feel like the only way to be able to appreciate it properly is to look at it with fresh eyes, or at least a fresh perspective. The more we try to compare it with RTD's era, the less we seem to be able to enjoy it for what it is, a new take on New Who.

As for Twelve and Capaldi, I feel like finally, for once, we have a proper bridge between RTD and Moffat's eras. The first season of Twelve was a bit on the dodgy side for me, but the second, latest season really upped the dark-and-edgy factor, really tried new things and went to areas I didn't see Moffat initially going into when he took the reins, and I'm finally only now beginning to enjoy Capaldi's Doctor. I feel like last season was a pretty high quality one, especially with the decision to employ two-parters all the time, and to cast Maisie Williams.

Not saying that there aren't any flaws (and certainly RTD's era was far from perfect!), but for someone who spent so much time being bitter about missing Tennant and RTD's style, I can finally say I'm satisfied with the way things are going, at least in general. I have my complaints about certain specific things - as I had about some of RTD's choices - but in general I'm happy with last season's performance.

(I also agree many of Moffat's episodes during RTD's era were of high quality, so it's not like he can't come up with something good, it's just he tends to get distracted with certain... "Moffat-isms", if you will, and that tends to impact the overall quality of his seasons)

On-topic, though: I have no idea who Chibnall is, but I loved Torchwood (yes, even the lousiest seasons... I was a devoted fan. Then again, you kinda have to be one to be able to enjoy Doctor Who in general), so I'm hoping this is a good change in direction. Years ago I would've been happy someone, anyone, was replacing Moffat, but with how much I enjoyed last season, I can actually say I have standards about it now.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Some googling later, it seems Chris Chibnall is no stranger to Doctor Who. He's written some stories. Wikipedia notes the following were his work. Some spoilers are noted, if you are still watching a series where Amy & Rory are present, or before they appear, you may wish to not read this list in its entirity (skip the last bit at least).
  • "42" (2007)
  • "The Hungry Earth" / "Cold Blood" (2010)
  • "Pond Life" (2012 - A set of five mini-episodes, released over the website, looking at the lives of Amy, Rory and the Doctor fleeting about)
  • "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" (2012)
  • "The Power of Three" (2012)
  • "P.S." (2012 - A mini-episode released over the website. Depicts Rory writing a letter to his father explaining why he isn't coming back after the events of 'The Angels Take Manhattan')
Some good (mini-)episodes listed there, it certainly gives me a bit of promise for the upcoming Chibnall series, even though it won't be ready until 2018!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Glad that in our relief seeing Moffat throw in the towel, we can still appreciate his RTD era episodes which were the ones we all looked forward to...

Empty Child/The Doctor Dances were startlingly bleak, set as they were in wartime London. Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead was arguably the best double header in the reboot. The Girl in the Fireplace was also incredibly intricate.

And Blink. Oh good god Blink. Terrifying, complicated, all the good words. The best episode since it came back, without fail.

And yet... His insistence on dark twists and complicated intertwining storylines really became wearing during Eleven's time. I do not like the River Song strand one bit - I found the interaction between her and Eleven very awkward and didn't fit. (I understand they wrapped that up in the Christmas episode just gone, but I haven't caught up yet) - at times I was crying out for a Nine-style land on a planet, fix the problem and leave story.

The same feeling has prevailed under Twelve - the first season was very hit and miss although it was great to have a proper actor in Capaldi bringing some style to the role. I must admit I stopped watching part way through the season just gone as I was busy most Saturdays, but I understand it was much improved towards the end, as Clara's stories were (thankfully) rounded up.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I personally love River Song. For me, Alex Kingston (River Song) and Michelle Gomez (Missy) are easily the best set of actresses that appear on the show currently. I loved the season just past, although some of the double episodes did seem like a lot of padding and not much story. Like they had limited funds so had to spin out some extra to fill time / slots with a double so it looks better than not as many episodes.

For me, the biggest downer on the last season was Clara. I just didn't connect with that character at all, not from the start all the way back in Matt Smiths tenure. I'm glad they seem to have finally ditched her.

On the flip side, I am loving the guest stars we've had over the past 3-4 seasons, Frank Skinner (Mummy on the Orient Express), Greg Davies (The Husbands of River Song), Matt Lucas (The Husbands of River Song), Chris Addison (as the character Seb, appears in various episodes over Season 8), Maisie Williams (as the character Ashildr, appears in various episodes over Season 9) and finally of course Richard E. Grant (The Great Intelligence (Dr. Simeon), appears in various episodes over Season 7) all of which were fantastic casting choices and perfectly fitted in with the character portrayed and what the character was meant to be like, all perfectly fit and perfectly acted their special appearances.

As for the Christmas episode just past, I loved that. It's a bit goofy and a bit hectic, but I love the back and forth The Doctor and River Song have in it. It's a brilliant swansong for the storyline. Although I am somewhat saddened it seems to clearly mark the end of her appearances.
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

Redirect Left wrote:
  • "42" (2007)
He wrote the "burn with me" episode?! Then he's already a winner in my book. :D I also really enjoyed The Hungry Earth and Cold Blood, so now I'm definitely looking forward to it. I hope he continues with the style Moffat established last season, or comes up with something even better.
Dave wrote:Glad that in our relief seeing Moffat throw in the towel, we can still appreciate his RTD era episodes which were the ones we all looked forward to...
Oh he has definitely written gold. Blink and SitL/FotD will always be classics. I still miss Sally terribly god damn it.

But I feel that when he took over the show he fumbled a bit with it. I guess writing a few episodes isn't the same thing has having to come up with entire seasons-worth of story. It has taken him quite a while to truly reach potential, but I feel that he's getting there now.
Redirect Left wrote:For me, the biggest downer on the last season was Clara. I just didn't connect with that character at all, not from the start all the way back in Matt Smiths tenure.
You're definitely not alone in that opinion; even many of Eleven's fans failed to connect with her. I suspect it might be because of how different her dynamic with the Doctor(s) is compared to Amy and Rory before.

For me it was hardly ever a problem, because her initial appearance as "Soufflé Girl" was something that marked me and that I loved tremendously, and that positively biased my opinion of Clara till the end (even though I wasn't nearly as fond of her "Clara Oswin Oswald" version). The fact that she, much in the same vein as Martha, was a rather independent companion compared to others (at least in the beginning) also helped refresh things a little for me.

But perhaps that same independence is what caused so many not to connect with her.
Redirect Left wrote:Although I am somewhat saddened it seems to clearly mark the end of her appearances.
Oh, I wouldn't be so certain, to be honest. One thing Moffat sure loves is his surprises, and given that next season is to be his last, I wouldn't be at all surprised (ha) if he brought her back one last time before he hands over the reins to Chibnall.

Once we're in Chibnall's era, however, that's when I wholly expect River Song not to show up again. At least not outside of a big time special episode.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I'm surprised Clara lasted so long, most of the Whovians I talk to felt quite strongly against her, didn't connect etc.
Oh, I wouldn't be so certain, to be honest. One thing Moffat sure loves is his surprises, and given that next season is to be his last, I wouldn't be at all surprised (ha) if he brought her back one last time before he hands over the reins to Chibnall.
I spose that is true. It did seem like her story had ended entirely the last time she appeared in 'The Name of the Doctor'. Perhaps they're playing a similar idea here, get us all thinking it is over, only for her to appear in a few years time, indeed "The Name of the Doctor" was 2013, she then appeared in "The Husbands of River Song", about 2 and a half years later on Christmas 2015).

End of Season 9 Spoilers on the below line
I also hope Ashildr makes a re-appearance at some point. I am also interested in the fact Ashildr (and Clara) now seem to have acquired a TARDIS. I'm interested to see if that is played upon in the future. Hopefully Clara does indeed explore the universe as intended, but in her own time and not on our screens, and if it makes a re-appearance its just with Ashildr :p
End spoilers

The best thing for me in the current run with Capaldi is the Doctors attitude. He's often just so blank and seemingly unmoved by other peoples difficulties. Something that is alluded to a few times with the words on cards stuff. I'm just lvoing the whole a bit of a cold attitude. I know its a very split thing though, you hate it or love that.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

It'd be nice if Captain Jack made a reappearance before Moffat leaves (it was him who introduced him, of course, back in The Empty Child); there were rumours they were going to try to get him back for an episode or two, but it seems not to have happened yet. :(
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

It seems there's a rumour that Capaldi may leave at the end of the 2017 season, so Chibnall gets his own choice of Doctor. The source says the BBC are 'satisfied' with his work, but say it makes sense that as Moffat moves on, in the end of that era, end another too with a new Doctor. Moffat ushered in Doctors #11 (Smith) and #12 (Capaldi), as well as being responsible for the awesome casting choice of Karen Gillan as Amy Pond. So hopefully Chibnall proves equally fantastic in casting choices. The source quoted says '“They hope he will be able to find someone who can have the same impact as Matt Smith did when Steven Moffat kicked off his run as executive producer.”'

Source: Daily Mail
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Bring back Tennant. Why would two reincarnations not be able to look the same?
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote:Why would two reincarnations not be able to look the same?
There has been canon events where a Doctor regenerated into himself, and kept his old look, but later episodes have still counted this as a full regeneration. See below

Spoilers - Series 4 - In 'The Stolen Earth', Doctor #10 (Tennant) is shot by a Dalek, and regenerates without changing appearances, which is alluded to again in the below episode, seemingly confirming it entirely with nothing left to imagination.
End Spoilers
In 'The Time of The Doctor', Doctor #11 (Smith) recounts the above event when Clara questions the regeneration cycle and current count of the Doctor, as the Doctor is the 12th face, but the 13th regeneration. He says it may have been the same man (as he puts it, due to 'vanity issues') but it still counted as a regeneration.

This seems to canonically confirm a Doctor can regenerate into himself again. So I see no barrier upon it happening to a later incarnation. Indeed the 12th incarnation (Capaldi) recalls that regenerations are perhaps not random, and the given face is for a reason, he mentions possibly as a reminder the past, this is probably meant to explicitly refer to Capaldis previous appearance in Doctor Who in 'The Fires of Pompeii' in Series 4, where the character he played was rescued by the Doctor. Perhaps that itself could be used in the future to excuse a regeneration into a past Doctor.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Yes, I stumbled across that episode with Pompeii and noticed that Capaldi featured. Fun bit of trivia, that.
Redirect Left wrote:Spoilers - Series 4 - In 'The Stolen Earth', Doctor #10 (Tennant) is shot by a Dalek, and regenerates without changing appearances, which is alluded to again in the below episode, seemingly confirming it entirely with nothing left to imagination.
He never fully regenerated, did he? That's how I interpreted it anyway. He somehow redirected the energy into his own severed hand.
My Scenarios:

Return to “Off-Topic”