Doctor Who (Warning: 2023 specials Spoilers from page 22)

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Doctor Who (Warning: Waters of Mars spoilers from page 17)

Post by jonty-comp »

JGR wrote:I don't honestly think it could take 3 tonnes of fuel for one kilo of weight. That sounds like it'd never get off the ground due to the weight of the fuel requiring more fuel than there is fuel. I agree that the base was ridiculously huge though.
Ha, I didn't think of that. Fuel is such a premium yet they fire up the engines on the rocket before everyone's even got in! :P

Dave Worley wrote:Unbelievable rubbish spouted.
Shut up you, it's fun to pick faults with sci-fi! :D Everyone does it with Stargate - nowadays if they make something that isn't completely possible all the nerds throw a hissy-fit. 8)
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

I'm more interested as into the "dystopia" that happened on the Earth, with a passing mention of oil wars and not a single human born in 5 years. But when they arrived in London it seemed so perfectly normal (apart from Ood Sigma appearing!)
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Av_Vulcan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Av_Vulcan »

JGR wrote:I don't honestly think it could take 3 tonnes of fuel for one kilo of weight. That sounds like it'd never get off the ground due to the weight of the fuel requiring more fuel than there is fuel. I agree that the base was ridiculously huge though.
The fuel for extra weight is for a complete, already loaded design. As in, it would take another 3 tonnes of fuel to carry that extra kilo across the distance, not 3 tonnes for any kilo of mass. Just like if you go on a plane and have to pay extra for taking on too much luggage. Remember in this case most of the fuel needed would be to get the craft off Earth in the first place.

I suppose I should point out that I liked the episode in general, though did wonder why he didn't take them to a different planet about halfway through. Then again I would have preferred it if the Doctor had to be the one to blow them and the base up, as opposed to what happened.
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

Badger wrote: ....thought the best bit was the trailer for the next episode.
definately, cant wait
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

jonty-comp wrote:Shut up you, it's fun to pick faults with sci-fi!
Science fiction needs to contain both science and fiction, otherwise it's either one, the other, or neither. A fictional story exploring the possibilities presented by science. There's very little actual science fiction in popular media. A notable example is the feature film, "Contact," with Jodie Foster.

Doctor Who isn't really science fiction; it's drama. It's damned good drama. I'm a fan of both drama and science fiction.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
Louie Armstrong
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Louie Armstrong »

I liked it!

Official TT-Jewel Staite FanClub
Official TT-Ellen Page FanClub
Official TT-Hayley Williams FanClub
Official TT-generic yet cute emo woman FanClub
jonty-comp wrote:I accidentally wedged my frigate between some rocks. D:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well. That was an interesting cliffhanger!
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Doctor Who (Warning: End of Time spoilers from page 18)

Post by jonty-comp »

It certainly has my interest. I wonder if they're actually going to bring back the Timothy Dalton race? :P Because it would be quite awesome if they did. And it would give them an actual excuse to redecorate the TARDIS!
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

Dig-diggy-dig-dig all day long.

I remember when this thread was updated regularly. So, on the off-chance that there are still people on the forums watching Doctor Who, what do you think of Capaldi's tenure so far? Personally, I really like his characterisation, but feel the plots have been a little thin at times so far. Also, I'm missing the big impressive double-parters. They've generally been a highlight of the new series, and it's a shame we've not had any yet with the 12th Doctor.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Moffatt swore off them I believe. Which is a shame as there have definitely been episodes since "The Almost People" way back in 2011 which I think were paced too fast as a result of being shoehorned into one episode.

I think we are getting one as the finale, hopefully marking a return.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I think the episode last saturday (Mummy On the Orient Express) was probably one of the better ones of Capaldis tenure so far, with just the right amount of references to the past, such as the jelly babies.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I didn't think my love for Peter Capaldi could grow anymore but his Doctor is absolutely stellar.

Brilliant
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

hah, just re-watched the latest, noticed he puts on a mock fourth doctor accent at one point too, love it!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

Having recently purchased and watched "The Trial of a Timelord" , I think the thing with Capaldi is the same as with Colin Baker. You can tell they both love being The Doctor, that it's more than just a role for them. Tennant was pretty good in the regard too, whereas I just didn't get that feeling from Matt Smith. So many of the stories he was in I thought sounded excellent in synopsis, but left me feeling "Tennant would have done that better", and now if I watch them again I know I'll think "Tennant or Capaldi could have done that better"

I also think Frank Skinner proves a long running theory I've had regarding companions and extras in Doctor Who; Comedians work best. The show is just self-aware enough to know it's a bit cheesy, and having comedians in the same sort of tongue-in-cheek "I am acting seriously but my eyes say this is all a bit of a larf" way works really well. Look at Catherine Tate, James Corden, and Bernard Cribbins.

I think the whole point is you need a Doctor and his sidekicks to have fun. It's a bit theatrical, a tiny bit pantomime, that even in peril, they're all kind of smiling.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

A part of me was actually hoping Frank Skinners character was going to say yes to the Doctors offer, just cause I'd have loved to have seen him in another episode. I loved his character, well played. I didn't know Frank Skinner could act so well. Perhaps his offer will come up at a later episode, may even be a setup for a later companion, I can only hope...
Pingaware
Director
Director

Post by Pingaware »

SquireJames wrote:I also think Frank Skinner proves a long running theory I've had regarding companions and extras in Doctor Who; Comedians work best. The show is just self-aware enough to know it's a bit cheesy, and having comedians in the same sort of tongue-in-cheek "I am acting seriously but my eyes say this is all a bit of a larf" way works really well. Look at Catherine Tate, James Corden, and Bernard Cribbins.
Really good point, except I don't agree about Catherine Tate. I still think Donna was my least favourite new series companion, even over Martha, the usual choice for most people.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I wasn't overly impressed with Donna in her Christmas special, but by the end of series 4 she had turned out to be fairly good I think.

Enjoying Peter Capaldi, good stuff indeed.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Donna Noble was a very good character in the end. Once they'd decided to take her away from the shouting route it was great.

Capaldi's reaction when Clara told him a few home truths at the end of the school episode was brilliant.

Not sure I've ever seen the doctor look genuinely hurt before. He looked very vulnerable.

I'm actually enjoying this series because it's sacked off the long story arcs which had started to grate. This series seems like good old fashioned Doctor saves everyone storylines. I'm bored of series themes like Amy Pond (who eventually got really annoying) and the frigging Silence!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

It appears that there are, or were plans for a Doctor Who movie, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32347624

From reading, it seems it may occur sometime
[..]expected that it will happen after that within the 8 year horizon
Entire thing may be shaky though, as it is based upon leaked documents from the Sony hack last year.
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

They *beeped* it up big time.

:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...

Return to “Off-Topic”