Doctor Who (Warning: 2023 specials Spoilers from page 22)

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Doctor Who (Warning: End of Time spoilers from page 18)

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote:Yes, I stumbled across that episode with Pompeii and noticed that Capaldi featured. Fun bit of trivia, that.
Redirect Left wrote:Spoilers - Series 4 - In 'The Stolen Earth', Doctor #10 (Tennant) is shot by a Dalek, and regenerates without changing appearances, which is alluded to again in the below episode, seemingly confirming it entirely with nothing left to imagination.
He never fully regenerated, did he? That's how I interpreted it anyway. He somehow redirected the energy into his own severed hand.
That is what a lot of people - including me - thought. However in 'The Time of the Doctor', #11 clarifies and puts it in unmistakable terms that it did count as a regeneration, citing 'vanity issues' as why he regenerated entirely back into himself. Hence why #11 was the 12th face*, but an extra (13) regeneration in.

*Spoilers - 2013 Specials - The 'war' doctor was never given a numerical identity in the show, so the latest doctors are +1 face than their # is, and another regen was lost then too.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

I suspect Tennant might not want to return to the show as a new incarnation of the Doctor because he doesn't want that to contribute to his typecasting. I'm sure he'd be happy to portray Ten's role again in a special if it calls for that, but I think that'll likely be about it as far as him returning goes.

Besides, having the Doctor regenerate into a past incarnation, even if it's only physically (and thus the new Doctor having a personality different from Ten's but the same looks), would probably be way too convoluted for them to dabble in it, so I'm not really counting on it.

I'm not opposed to it, of course, though personally I'd pass on it, if only because I've closed the book on Ten(nant) a long time ago, and I'd rather not revisit all of that again and have to experience the withdrawal once more when it's over. :P For me, forward is the way to go with regards to this subject.

If Capaldi leaves after next season, I'll actually be sad about it, for once, because I actually like his incarnation of the Doctor now. But that's just how it is.

If I had my pick with the new Doctor, I'd like to see him regenerate into a Time Lady. Sadly, Moffat has made his stance on that nauseatingly clear with his "joke" about the Queen, so I'm not really holding my breath... but who knows. I'd really love to see the interactions between Lady!Doctor and Missy, though.

I'm not too worried about who comes next after Capaldi. I'm sure they'll find a competent actor at the very least. But I do miss the "wow" factor that I first got from Tennant. I never really felt that with any of the others in New Who. Perhaps a little unfair of me, but... it is how I feel, nonetheless.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

For me, unlike the majority I think, I didn't get the wow factor with Tennant when he first debuted. I did however grow to love him. It was Smith that gave me the most wow factor out of the new reboot so far.

My personal choice for the new Doctor, and I seriously doubt its a name others will come up with, but I'd love to see Ben Whishaw do it. He's probably most well known for playing 'Q' in James Bond (Skyfall & SPECTRE). Just seems he'll be pretty good at it for me. Idris Elba would also be fantastic, but I suspect he's a bit too big of a name to even consider taking up the role, sadly.

I did love the Missy/#12 interactions, not sure where they'd go with with a female Doctor. Although as proven with Vastra/Jenny Flint, Doctor Who / BBC aren't afraid of a little female flirting (and more), so it could be rather good!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

For those who like to be some of the first to know. The new companion will be revealed on Saturday on BBC1, during half time of the FA Cup semi-final Match of the Day Live: Everton versus Manchester United at around 18:00 BST.

source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36104565
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

There's a new companion? I like the current one. She's sweet!
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Tis revealed, through a trailer aired during half time of match today. It isn't an actress I recognize personally. However, from the trailer, possibly promising!

Non video source - BBC News
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Finally got back into watching the series. I'm starting to like Mr. Capaldi. He works well with dear Clara Oswald. I like him more than Matt Smith.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Peter Capaldi has announced that the series later this year shall be his last. This means that next year, when Chris Chibnall takes over as show runner, he'll have a new time lord incarnation to meld to his will.

BBC News.
Last edited by Redirect Left on 31 Jan 2017 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Three series per Doctor seems to have become the standard for the new series (excluding Christopher Eccleston of course). Now the age-old question - who will be the next Doctor?
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I'm personally hoping for some serious timeline mess up that sees Missy become The Doctor, of course that isn't happening though. Casting Michelle Gomez for that role was amazing, and I hope she'll return at some point in the future!
I reckon they've used Missy and also one of the Time Lords on Gallifrey who, when shot by the Doctor (part of Heaven Sent/Hell Bent two parter), regenerating into a rather fetching lady-lord, to prepare us for a female doctor.

Unrelated, but I'm also sad that River Songs story seems to have ended with The Husbands Of River Song, I'll miss her frequent encounters that always lead to some sort of amusing adventure.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Give me a bit of Richard Ayoade. He'd be a delicious Doctor.

And frankly give us a male companion. Rory was great but he was really just the sidekick of Amy. The whole "man and girl" thing is really quite outdated. I wouldn'd mind an all-male or all-female duo.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Ayoade is probably a bit tied up with his commitments to The Crystal Maze now.
I'd personally like to see Ben Whishaw (The current 'Q' in James Bond films), or perhaps even Hugh Laurie (House). Although he'd probably want paying far more than auntie Beeb can afford.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Of course the idea of a female Doctor has been floating around too. Tilda Swinton, anybody? She could pull off a real dark and scary Doctor. Proper dark humour.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Doctor Who twitter just confirmed that Missy is indeed back for Season 10, with a rather amusing little video.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status ... 3035988993
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

New Doctor Who trailer. Quite intriguing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py5xXBREBRk
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

So, the first episode of the new series aired last night!

Spoilers for Season 10 start below!

On the trailers, I didn't think much of Bill, but the character is actually a lot less grating than it came across as on trailers.
For me, the writing quality was a lot better than most episodes of the previous season, although I did notice that Doctor Who seems to have run out of 'voices' for the aliens, the main alien watery thing had the same voice used by the Zygons when they were formulating plots, just as the alien here was doing whilst using the voice - although the Zygons do share a trait with this alien and its ability to shift form. Possibly hinting at something - after all, there are still Zygons on Earth, or maybe it is just that, run out of voices.

Matt Lucas as Nardole was as comical as i hoped for, based upon his first appearance during The Husbands of River Song and The Return of Doctor Mysterio. Lucas is apparently signed up for the entire series too, so I can expect to see him frequently, think i'll grow to look forward to them!

For me at least, this is Doctor Who back on form :mrgreen:
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

I was already loving Bill the minute I saw her in the trailers/sneak peeks, and seeing her in action last night only confirmed that love. Plus, I had no idea whatsoever that she was going to be gay, which was a very happy surprise! Now I just hope they let her kiss girls every episode like Sara Lance from Legends of Tomorrow does because her scenes with Heather were absolutely adorable and she deserves more of them. :')

The writing seemed nice and I liked the episode, and it made me feel wanting for more. I saw the post-episode proper peek at future episodes and things seemed intense, to say the least. That and, of course, there was that little teaser with John Simm in the end... :P
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I wasn't too happy about Bill based on trailers. After episode 1, very happy with her. She's great. And the very simple fact that they didn't make her sexuality a talking point of the episode, she just wasn't hetero, I really like that. Usually when a character is LGBTQ, TV shows tend to make that a more central attribute of the character. I'm glad it wasn't, at least in this episode.

Very interesting to see what comes out of this series. I'm not keen on letting Capaldi go!
My Scenarios:
Kalen
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kalen »

Speaking as an LGBT individual myself, I do consider a quality portrayal of an LGBT character to be one which does not shy away from and sweep the character's sexuality/gender under the rug after an initial passing mention. That, to me, is a thousand times more insulting, and for sure feels like someone's trying to earn an ally badge without actually wanting to do something of substance to justify that.

In addition, although I understand and respect that many just want to have a character they can relate to and "escape" to, one who isn't put through the same kind of struggles they are, given that we do not live in a post-bigotry world (and current events should very well demonstrate that), having characters face such struggles as part of their story isn't inherently bad, so long as it's done correctly and respectfully, and isn't gratuitous or entirely unnecessary.

On the other hand, I definitely hate condescending, groan-inducing depictions and negative stereotypes, and I do not consider bad/offensive representation to be worthwhile in any way just because "it's better than nothing". If I needed that, I'd just look out the window, so to speak.

Fortunately for us, the Whoniverse seems to have a rather good track record in this subject, all things considered. In the main series, examples like Vastra and Jenny (and now Bill) come to mind, and outside of it, there's of course Torchwood and the more recent Class. In Bill's case, highlights for me were her being allowed to flirt with women right from the bat, no questions asked, and having it be portrayed matter-of-factly, in a normalized way; also, how assertive she was about her sexuality in her scene with her foster mom; granted this is only the premiere, but so far, so good!

Regarding Capaldi's departure: do we have any clue who's being considered for the role of the next Doctor? I saw a news article the other day but it didn't look very trustworthy, so I'm not sure if it's legit. There's been buzz about the possibility of an actress being picked instead, which I think would be refreshing (and entertaining, if only for the rage of the traditionalists in the fandom), but again, there didn't seem to be any official names, at least where I looked.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well nuts. Who has seen the season finale airing tonight? I understand so little and want to ask so much!
[+] Spoiler
I believe I read that the new Doctor will be familiar to viewers, and I think I've also seen that they are doing "something different" for the reincarnation itself. So does that mean Capaldi simply won't go? Could the reason we don't have a new doctor be that the new Doctor has been with us all season? Is it Bill? Is it the water creature (Heather)? Is it MISSY?! Nardole? David Bradley? I seem to recall that the name of the Doctor is usually leaked/revealed by the time the series preceding the Christmas special ends.

With the Doctor going back to the First Doctor, and the First Doctor being alive and well(ish), what does that mean? I know too little about old Doctor Who to speculate.
My Scenarios:

Return to “Off-Topic”