Private Eye readers in the UK will know these as "Coleman Balls"
A Swedish sports journalist has been posting a weekly list of these for many many years. When he retired, these were his "best of the best":
1. "Cameroon's substitute bench is looking dark"
- Swedish sports commentator Arne Hegerfors, said during the Football World Cup 1994 game between Cameroon and Sweden. Cameroon were losing, which may be of relevance to the statement.
2. "I don't speak Italian. I don't even know how to say spaghetti in Italian."
- Former footballer Johnny Ekström, played in Italian Serie A for 4-5 years in the 80s and 90s.
3. "Don't worry guys, the salary is paid radioactively"
- Rolf Zetterlund, former manager of several Swedish football clubs, to his squad when they hadn't been paid for a month.
4. "Come on lads, play the ball from kant to kant"
- Roy Hodgson (yeah, the one), when coaching in Sweden. Kant is Swedish for side or edge.
5. "The entire ball must be still before taking the free kick"
- Color commentator Ralf Edström. How could parts of the ball move???