The Thread Of Randomness

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Pyoro »

Too low temperature can be dangerous for hardware, mainly because it leads to condensation when they warm up ... so keep the air dry up there :wink:

It's about 0°C-10°C most of the time here currently. Quite nice for November. And my PC heats up my room; saves money. Unfortunately since I upgraded to more energy-efficient hardware it's not working quite as well anymore as in the years before but it's still OK. I might have to use the heater if it gets much colder, though. :(
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Pyoro wrote:Too low temperature can be dangerous for hardware, mainly because it leads to condensation when they warm up ... so keep the air dry up there :wink:
I have got a dehumidifying thing up there which does fill up with water, so hopefully it may help a bit. Not noticed any ill-effects on the PC so far, anyway. The temperature changes will generally be more gradual, so things should be OK.

I remember when I lived in Minnesota, I had my server sitting next to a window. In the winter it got down to something like -20°C. I didn't have control over the heating in my room and was finding it too hot at one point, so opened that particular window for a bit. In fact, I think it may have been overnight. Anyway, when I next checked the server temperatures, I think I'd got the CPU down to (high) single digits...
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I don't know how harmful it is anyway. Back when I carried my PC around for LAN parties in the middle of winter I sometimes had a look inside and was shocked how wet some HDDs got, but, well, it never damaged anything. It's not like (pure) water is conductor, and condensation is probably not all that "salty". Still. Good idea with the dehumidifier ;)

I mostly notice the temperature difference here with my PS3: it has this sort of cooling fans that switch how much they blow at certain fixed temperature levels, instead of increasing gradually. So at some 18-19°C inside it'll stick to stage two or whatever it is for quite long, while at 20-21°C it almost immediately goes up to stage 3. Which is quite the difference, and one of the reasons I mostly only play PS3 in winter ^^;;;
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

It's 8:30am, and I only have the bots and 76 guests for company. I'm so lonely! :cry: ( :mrgreen: )
Bots for company.png
Hmmm, maybe next time I shouldn't add this through the work PC. I nearly added documents that you guys don't need to see!
(162.1 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well I cleared the birthday list for you. There were some spammers there before :P
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Chrill wrote:Well I cleared the birthday list for you. There were some spammers there before :P
But what if I wanted the spammers for company? :lol:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

We clearly need a new Transport Tycoon game to be released to increase the active visitors - see if we can exceed the 532 we had some 11 years ago! Maybe a Star Wars Transport Tycoon crossover? You could build space depots and buy Millennium Falcons to smuggle transport goods and all sorts. :D

OK, somebody needs to get onto that!
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

orudge wrote:We clearly need a new Transport Tycoon game to be released to increase the active visitors - see if we can exceed the 532 we had some 11 years ago! Maybe a Star Wars Transport Tycoon crossover? You could build space depots and buy Millennium Falcons to smuggle transport goods and all sorts. :D

Sheesh, I would have been 8 years old when that record was set... I don't even think I had heard of Transport Tycoon by that point!

That crossover does sound like an interesting idea. What do you propose for land transport?
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Speeders? Perhaps AT-ATs and AT-STs for passenger transport?
Dave

Post by Dave »

orudge wrote:We clearly need a new Transport Tycoon game to be released to increase the active visitors - see if we can exceed the 532 we had some 11 years ago! Maybe a Star Wars Transport Tycoon crossover? You could build space depots and buy Millennium Falcons to smuggle transport goods and all sorts. :D

What caused that? Was it Open 0.5 or something?

I seem to remember there was a reason why there were so many people around. Mad to think how active the forum was back then. You'd refresh and there'd be 30 new posts.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

orudge wrote:We clearly need a new Transport Tycoon game to be released to increase the active visitors!
I've several transport related games all documented and planned in Google Docs (along with lots of other ideas for other games), unfortunately my problem is i'm an ideas guy with very little knowledge of useful programming languages. Web-based stuff, get in there, useful stuff, nooope. :D

Also, Imagine how much higher the yearly donation target would be with that much extra users / bandwidth :p
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Louie Armstrong
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Louie Armstrong »

Dave wrote:What caused that? Was it Open 0.5 or something?

I seem to remember there was a reason why there were so many people around.
Its all the Jester pictures we were posting Dave

Official TT-Jewel Staite FanClub
Official TT-Ellen Page FanClub
Official TT-Hayley Williams FanClub
Official TT-generic yet cute emo woman FanClub
jonty-comp wrote:I accidentally wedged my frigate between some rocks. D:
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

orudge wrote:OK, somebody needs to get onto that!
Not too sure there's a need, these days we are getting more spiritual sequels to Transport Tycoon than ever.

I think the sad truth is that independent forum boards are overall kinda fading into obscurity. I don't know of many that could be described as "booming", it's all about the big social networks such as reddit or Steam now. It's more comfortable when you can use your pre-existing account without need for registration, and in the former case you also get the karma feedback system.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I think the traditional bulletin board / forum thing is over to be honest. I can't name one such site that is still growing in average users / hits.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

In relatively % maybe, but I'd disagree in absolutely numbers. Expert boards and such are still growing; or at least it's true for German pages. It's more like people got over Facebook and such.

With OpenTTD (and let's be honest; that's the main thing here) it's probably more that part of the community has been drawn to reddit and then it's not on Steam and such.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Louie Armstrong wrote:
Dave wrote:What caused that? Was it Open 0.5 or something?

I seem to remember there was a reason why there were so many people around.
Its all the Jester pictures we were posting Dave
:) those were the days my friend. Those were the days.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Pyoro wrote:In relatively % maybe, but I'd disagree in absolutely numbers. Expert boards and such are still growing; or at least it's true for German pages. It's more like people got over Facebook and such.

With OpenTTD (and let's be honest; that's the main thing here) it's probably more that part of the community has been drawn to reddit and then it's not on Steam and such.
Theres reddit stuff for OPenTTD? ANything worthwhile over there?
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

No idea; I only looked there like thrice or so ;) But it's pretty active. And they run (ran? dunno) multiplayer servers.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Nathanxbox20 wrote:I just discovered that my final exam for my AP Computer Science class is going to be written.
Talk about compiling in the mind :lol:
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Just got off the phone to Barnsley Hospital, after being #41 in the queue to make an appointment.
Honestly, what do they do in Barnsley? Simultaneously whack each other until they need the hospital?

Return to “Off-Topic”