The Thread Of Randomness

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.
User avatar
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 3953
Joined: 16 Aug 2008 22:26
Skype: neko-master
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by NekoMaster »

Redirect Left wrote:After the Speaker catastrophe, I switched to a pair of speakers i recovered from my grandmothers home after she passed a couple of months ago.
They're at least 15 years old, but these are mains powered. Good grief, they sound far better than the 2 USB powered speakers I had (one died of... old age i guess, and the other set on fire).

Well that tells me to never buy USB powered speakers, mains powered ones, even after 15 years, sound so much better!
I've never used USB powered speakers, I don't like taking up the limited number of USB ports on computers that I could be using for devices and storage.

Also my speakers have a AUX input on the front, so having them on mains power means they can be used for other things when the computer is off, like playing the Audio from my monitor when I have a PS3 hooked up via HDMI (while my monitor does have built in speakers, they're kinda weak and tinny, but at least I have a stereo output on my monitor)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!

User avatar
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 6624
Joined: 22 Jan 2005 19:31
Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Redirect Left »

NekoMaster wrote: I've never used USB powered speakers, I don't like taking up the limited number of USB ports on computers that I could be using for devices and storage.
I actually have more USB ports than I use by quite a lot.
However, I wouldn't ever recommend USB speakers. They have quite limited amplification and ability, due to the low power maximum of USB.
Image
Worst Behaved IRC Member of 2008, 2009 & 2010 - Go Me!

User avatar
Chrill
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 15310
Joined: 18 Dec 2004 17:35
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Chrill »

Image
Newest screenshots published January 9, 2019
Chrill's scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso
(Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)

User avatar
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 3953
Joined: 16 Aug 2008 22:26
Skype: neko-master
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by NekoMaster »

Redirect Left wrote:
NekoMaster wrote: I've never used USB powered speakers, I don't like taking up the limited number of USB ports on computers that I could be using for devices and storage.
I actually have more USB ports than I use by quite a lot.
However, I wouldn't ever recommend USB speakers. They have quite limited amplification and ability, due to the low power maximum of USB.
I too have a decent amount of USB Ports, 6+2 USB 2.0 (the +2 is a PCI extender that plugs into internal USB headers), and 2 USB 3.0 ports in the back, then I have 2 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 up front (which usually get taken up by my my USB 3 flash drive, a Wireless gamepad adapter, my phones usb cable and the charger cable for PS3 controllers)

With USB 3.0 and 3.1 they could probably make much better USB 3.0 powered speakers, but it probably still wouldn't work as well. It probably also helps if you have a nice sound card to connect your speakers to.



Though either way, I barley use my speakers, I prefer to use my headphones to keep all my music, youtube, tv shows and anime in my ears. PLus I can't always understand what people are saying when its on the speakers
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!

User avatar
Nathanxbox20
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager
Posts: 183
Joined: 17 Oct 2012 05:15
Location: At a computer

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Nathanxbox20 »

I'm not normal. Because normal is stupid. And stupid is normal.
Life has no respawns.
A Locomotion, BeamNG.drive, and OpenTTD enthusiast and amateur photographer. Also getting into model railroading.

User avatar
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 6624
Joined: 22 Jan 2005 19:31
Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Redirect Left »

NekoMaster wrote:It probably also helps if you have a nice sound card to connect your speakers to.
I've literally never used a sound card. Always just use motherboards onboard :mrgreen:
Image
Worst Behaved IRC Member of 2008, 2009 & 2010 - Go Me!

User avatar
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 2154
Joined: 09 Dec 2008 16:20
Skype: yes
Location: Slovakia
Contact:

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Drury »

Image

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury

User avatar
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 3953
Joined: 16 Aug 2008 22:26
Skype: neko-master
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by NekoMaster »

Redirect Left wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:It probably also helps if you have a nice sound card to connect your speakers to.
I've literally never used a sound card. Always just use motherboards onboard :mrgreen:
Same here, every motherboard I've used in my computers has some version of RealTek HD Audio, which for me works jsut fine.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!

User avatar
orudge
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 24821
Joined: 26 Jan 2001 20:18
Skype: orudge
Location: Banchory, UK
Contact:

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by orudge »

I bought a Creative Audigy 2 ZS about a decade ago, which had a front panel with a bunch of extra connections. Around this time 10 years ago were the glory days of Zernebok Radio - some of you will remember that! The days of shows running until 4am, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, phone-ins and all sorts. Good times. I bought a proper (albeit somewhat antique) mixing desk and stuff too, which I linked up to my Audigy and up to my laptop to do the phone-ins.

I've still got most of the old Zernebok shows archived somewhere, maybe I'll dig some of them up...

The sound card didn't make it into my PC when it was rebuilt in 2009 though - it's just been a case of using whatever's on the motherboard since then. I also had a set of Creative 7.1 speakers that I used with the Audigy - they had funny plugs for the surround speakers so ended up being used in 2-speaker mode for a while. Then I moved to the US and didn't take them with me (would have cost more to ship than they were worth!), and when I returned I hooked them up to my TV for some better sound. Got rid of them when I moved in with my then-wife-to-be, as she didn't care for the cables everywhere! (I now have a Sony sound base hooked up to the TV, Blu-Ray player, PS3, etc, which is pretty decent and looks quite nice too. My PC on the other hand is just using the built-in monitor speakers!)

User avatar
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 3953
Joined: 16 Aug 2008 22:26
Skype: neko-master
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by NekoMaster »

orudge wrote:I bought a Creative Audigy 2 ZS about a decade ago, which had a front panel with a bunch of extra connections. Around this time 10 years ago were the glory days of Zernebok Radio - some of you will remember that! The days of shows running until 4am, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, phone-ins and all sorts. Good times. I bought a proper (albeit somewhat antique) mixing desk and stuff too, which I linked up to my Audigy and up to my laptop to do the phone-ins.

I've still got most of the old Zernebok shows archived somewhere, maybe I'll dig some of them up...

The sound card didn't make it into my PC when it was rebuilt in 2009 though - it's just been a case of using whatever's on the motherboard since then. I also had a set of Creative 7.1 speakers that I used with the Audigy - they had funny plugs for the surround speakers so ended up being used in 2-speaker mode for a while. Then I moved to the US and didn't take them with me (would have cost more to ship than they were worth!), and when I returned I hooked them up to my TV for some better sound. Got rid of them when I moved in with my then-wife-to-be, as she didn't care for the cables everywhere! (I now have a Sony sound base hooked up to the TV, Blu-Ray player, PS3, etc, which is pretty decent and looks quite nice too. My PC on the other hand is just using the built-in monitor speakers!)
I never really cared for buying a dedicated sound card or surround sound speakers. To be honest most surround sound systems urk me being tinny sounding with all the bass coming from the sub-woofer with systems that use those tiny little speakers. I'd rather have full range stereo speakers like I do right now, and I know you can get full range stuff for 5.1 and 7.1 surround systems but thats ridiculously expensive. Some full range speakers can cost 200-300 dollars each for some crap you can get at Best Buy or Future shop.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!

User avatar
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 2154
Joined: 09 Dec 2008 16:20
Skype: yes
Location: Slovakia
Contact:

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Drury »

Image

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury

User avatar
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 6624
Joined: 22 Jan 2005 19:31
Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Redirect Left »

The world's longest-reigning monarch has died, King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand died at the age of 88, having been on the throne for 70 years.

BBC News.
A popular Monarch, his official state mourning will last an entire year. The government has asked for "joyful events" to be halted for 30 days.

Always sad for the population when their Monarch or other head of state dies, especially after so long. Many of the population would have never known the country without the King.
Image
Worst Behaved IRC Member of 2008, 2009 & 2010 - Go Me!

User avatar
Chrill
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 15310
Joined: 18 Dec 2004 17:35
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Chrill »

He was the only monarch to have sat on the throne longer than the British monarch, yes? Lizzie is now the longest-reigning monarch in the world!
Image
Newest screenshots published January 9, 2019
Chrill's scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso
(Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)

User avatar
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 6624
Joined: 22 Jan 2005 19:31
Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote:He was the only monarch to have sat on the throne longer than the British monarch, yes? Lizzie is now the longest-reigning monarch in the world!
She sure is. She previously held the record for the longest serving British monarch, but she is now the longest serving living monarch in the world.

The Independent

Rule Britannia, and God save the Queen! :mrgreen:
Image
Worst Behaved IRC Member of 2008, 2009 & 2010 - Go Me!

User avatar
The Queen
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 10
Joined: 06 Jun 2011 12:53

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by The Queen »

Thank you.

User avatar
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 2154
Joined: 09 Dec 2008 16:20
Skype: yes
Location: Slovakia
Contact:

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Drury »

Image

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury

User avatar
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator
Posts: 7533
Joined: 04 Aug 2010 15:48
Location: Manchester

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Pilot »

Hmmmm... that link address probably isn't entirely appropriate :lol:

User avatar
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 1985
Joined: 05 Oct 2009 16:36
Location: Leeds, UK

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Chris »

By wikileaks don't you just mean one of the sub agencies of FSB
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165

User avatar
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Posts: 299
Joined: 03 Jan 2013 17:20
Location: New England, USA

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by oftcrash »

This probably won't mean anything to anyone outside the US or Canada, but I was at David Ortiz's last game, was interviewed by Japanese media (Tokyo Broadcasting, I think), and got my picture on Sports Illustrated's web site.

The irony is that it's my wife who is the huge Red Sox fan, and she was blocked by the sign. I found another shot from a local paper where I'm visible again, but she's blocked by Ortiz's helmet. Finally I found another one in the Boston Globe that shows us both, though that one I'm digging for my phone or something and have a constipated look. Still, about once every 2 days I ask her, out of the blue, if she remembered that time I was in Sports Illustrated.
Attachments
thanks-papi-sign-fenway-inline.jpg
I'm the big guy with the beard, glasses, stocking hat and white Red Sox shirt on the far right.
(2.48 MiB) Not downloaded yet

User avatar
Sylf
President
President
Posts: 958
Joined: 23 Nov 2010 21:25
Location: ::1

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Sylf »

Ha. I never saw these before today.
Shinkansen Chopsticks
Other EMU, EF210, EH200, EF510 etc

How cute.

Post Reply

Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests