The Thread Of Randomness

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Pilot »

orudge wrote:I was 15 when I co-founded the forums with Matt, and 13 when I started the owenrudge.co.uk forums
Do you still have similar tastes to 13 year old you? I found this on that Web Archive site
Owen of forums past wrote:owenrudge.co.uk Forums
Last Updated: 26 January 2001

As part of the server move, I've launched a new forums section. You can discuss anything you like, really, whether it's to do with DJGPP, GEM or Transport Tycoon, or Melissa Joan Hart, Emma Bunton or Britney Spears :-) ...
I remember I once had a post ratio (is that right? :lol: ) of something like 4.6 posts per day or similar, but that was during the heights of 'The Nations Game', which I played a lot from not long after I joined the forums :mrgreen:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

My interests have generally moved on, but I'll always have a soft spot for Sabrina the Teenage Witch!
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

For a game that been around for such a long time it great it still has interest from the younger ones.

I wonder who the oldest using these forums and still enjoy the game .. I'm 62.

I remember these forums starting up but because I didn't under stand coding I thought this forum not for me. Then early 2015 when I was making a scenario to scale and as realistic as I could, I though be good if I could learn to code and make things for my scenarios .. So in May 2015 I joined, and thanks to NekoMaster encourage me to start doing train sets encouraged me eventually to have a go.

And I still learning and all you guys out there are still helping me which is great to have all the support.

Cheers and thanks all
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

GarryG wrote:For a game that been around for such a long time it great it still has interest from the younger ones.

I wonder who the oldest using these forums and still enjoy the game .. I'm 62.

I remember these forums starting up but because I didn't under stand coding I thought this forum not for me. Then early 2015 when I was making a scenario to scale and as realistic as I could, I though be good if I could learn to code and make things for my scenarios .. So in May 2015 I joined, and thanks to NekoMaster encourage me to start doing train sets encouraged me eventually to have a go.

And I still learning and all you guys out there are still helping me which is great to have all the support.

Cheers and thanks all
And look where you are now, you basically have content that spans almost every aspect of Australia.

Also I didn't know you where that old Garry, but still good on ya, goes to show that even an old dog can learn knew tricks when they want to :)

Good luck with your future endeavours, I dunno how much more can be added to the australian object stuff, but I hope you keep up the good work.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

London isn't doing too well, having just 120 hours into 2017 breached pollution limits in Lambeth. Brixton Road breached its limit of 18 breaches of the legal limit just days into the New Year, according to King's College London, which monitors the state of the air in London. Under EU law the average hourly level of NO2 (nitrogen dioxide), must not exceed 200 micrograms per cubic metre more than 18 times in a year, in Brixton Road this has already occured.
The first road in London to breach the limit last year was Putney High Street, in south Londons Borough of Wandsworth, which went on to exceed the limit over 1,100 times over the course of 2016.

Sources: BBC News & Independent.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Pilot wrote:
NekoMaster wrote:
Drury wrote:im 12 and what is this
YOu can't be 12, if your 12, that means you where 7-8 years old when you joined in 2008.
Your maths is a little out. If he's 12 now, and joined in 2008, that would have made him 3/4 years old.
well now I feel like an old 12 year old

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

orudge wrote:My interests have generally moved on, but I'll always have a soft spot for Sabrina the Teenage Witch!
The box set is by far the most played DVDs in my house... Now, where did I leave my Bundt? :P
Dave

Post by Dave »

There was a point in 2008-10 time where my post per day count was way over 10. I've grown up and the forums are less polluted with imbeciles now, so I've brought it down a LOT.

I was 16 when I joined on Boxing Day 2005. Not sure why I chose to then.

These forums have been with me for over 11 years and have seen me through an absolute rollercoaster.

My first post was a braindead request in the original UKRS set thread for someone to post links to the grfs within...

My second is here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22618&p=387787#p387787

Equally daft, but a good example of how active the forum was in those days - Hyro responded in three minutes. You'd be lucky to get a response in three hours now haha - that's just the way it is though.

Happy days :)
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

orudge wrote:My interests have generally moved on, but I'll always have a soft spot for Sabrina the Teenage Witch!
It's not me in my avatar - it's Melissa Joan Hart!
viewtopic.php?t=1639
http://www.melissazone.com/forums/index ... 6ebdcd77bc

Sorry for digging these up, Owen! :P
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Not been able to sleep all evening, spent it watching Archer.

Worth it!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I found out that Windows XP still isn't 100% completely dead.

Turns out you can get a version of XP that's been stripped down of its fancy consumer stuff for commercial use

WINDOWS EMBEDDED POSREADY 2009

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/downloa ... x?id=11196

Microsoft provides a copy for free evaluation for up to 120 Days, afterwards I guess it'll lock up and you'll have to reinstall.

Microsoft is still providing Extended Support until April 2019

Not only that, because its stripped down and streamlined for commercial use like DIsplays, terminals, cash registers, and what not, it also has much
lower requirements then the Home or Professional versions of Windows XP. I've heard people say it runs faster on older hardware then even
regular editions of Windows XP

Though if you look around on the internet there are ways to get around the Evaluation limitations and time limit.
I'm not going to link to any Product Keys or Tools for modifying the time limit and evaluation limits, most of you guys should know how to use google
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Chrill: oh my, that brings back some memories too!

NekoMaster: Is there any reason you'd still want to use XP though?
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

orudge wrote:Chrill: oh my, that brings back some memories too!

NekoMaster: Is there any reason you'd still want to use XP though?
Old computers that can't run modern windows (like really old stuff)? Or maybe theres still hold outs.... or perhaps you have software that requires windows XP.

If anything right now I'm messing around in Windows Embedded POSReady 2009, works alright in VMWare 12 (drivers installed properly)

Weird thing is though, if you try to use the easy install method with VMware, VMWare thinks WE POSready 2009 is Windows Server 2003
Dave

Post by Dave »

I can't say where I currently work (LOL) but I can tell you there are a number of XP machines still kicking around, off network but linked, for the purposes of very specific work with legacy software that hasn't been replaced yet.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

Exactly the same here. There's still a computer running windows 98 in one of the labs...
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Dave wrote:I can't say where I currently work (LOL) but I can tell you there are a number of XP machines still kicking around, off network but linked, for the purposes of very specific work with legacy software that hasn't been replaced yet.
My old employer still has an alarming number of XP machines linked to their network, never understood why because there was no legacy software being used on it that didn't work on Win 7.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

And here we are at my work currently upgrading everyone to Win10 because 7 is old...
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

NekoMaster wrote:Weird thing is though, if you try to use the easy install method with VMware, VMWare thinks WE POSready 2009 is Windows Server 2003
Maybe because it is a stripped down/modified version of Windows XP, and I believe XP and Server 2003 are very close together code-wise.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

XP is basically the client version of Server 2003; Vista was the client version of Server 2008; Server 2008 R2 was Windows 7 I believe, and Server 2012 was Windows 8. 2012 R2 was 8.1; and Server 2016 is Windows 10.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

If anything, up until about last year many banks I've been to where running Windows XP because they where still running some command line software for banking. I imagine they finally updated all that so now they have Windows 7 on their computers.

Though like I was saying earlier, perhaps someone needs something based on Windows XP to keep their Windows XP programs and machines running.

Though make sure when you install Windows Embedded POSReady 2009, make sure to do a Custom install and install everything if you intend to use this as a proper full Windows XP machine.

Also as far as I know drivers and software still recognize POSready 2009 as Windows XP SP3. Hell even the Startup logo is still Windows XP (nothing to it)

Also if anything asks for the Windows XP CD when your installing something, the POSready 2009 CD will suffice when Windows asks for the XP CD to install say, drivers or system files.

The only issue I had while running POSReady 2009 is that not everything is easy to get for Windows XP now, gotta go look for older versions of software or even look for alternatives. I haven't used XP in so long that I've gotten use to modern software some of which may not have windows xp versions.

Return to “Off-Topic”