The Thread Of Randomness

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Pilot »

So, I'm booking a trip doing a bit of travelling around Europe, from the 5th December to 16th December, hopefully visiting Amsterdam, Berlin, Geneva, Rome and Paris (spending a couple of days in each). Because of this, I've had to do adult things like take out Travel Insurance and get a Credit Card, eek! :?

In good news though, I've come £14.45 under my £1500 budget, so I'm happy with that! Though that only includes hotels and travel between places (which was all that same budget was for!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Ooof. Bit of a chilly time to go wandering around Europe :p
If you haven't already, might be worth getting an EHIC - It's basically a little NHS/Govt issued card, that allows you to access the national health service of most EU countries (+ a few other that have signed up to it). In most countries routine things will be free with the tab being sent to the UK health services.

Note: It doesn't replace private insurance, and will not cover costs of things greater than your regular routine stuff. So if you manage to get yourself splayed by a chairlift up Mont Blanc you'll still be asked to pay for that. A lot of insurances also are either cheaper or waiver excess fees for EHIC holders.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Redirect Left wrote:Ooof. Bit of a chilly time to go wandering around Europe :p
If you haven't already, might be worth getting an EHIC - It's basically a little NHS/Govt issued card, that allows you to access the national health service of most EU countries (+ a few other that have signed up to it). In most countries routine things will be free with the tab being sent to the UK health services.

Note: It doesn't replace private insurance, and will not cover costs of things greater than your regular routine stuff. So if you manage to get yourself splayed by a chairlift up Mont Blanc you'll still be asked to pay for that. A lot of insurances also are either cheaper or waiver excess fees for EHIC holders.
Aye, already got my EHIC from years ago (still valid), and my private travel insurance is sorted also, so I'm all good hopefully! And I don't think I'm going to be heading up Mont Blanc just yet :wink:

Now, just to get my Euro's sorted, if only Britain still had a decent valued currency :lol:

On another note, I have booked part of my trip to Switzerland, anyone know if the Euro is legal tender, or will I need to get some Swiss Francs also?
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Pilot wrote: On another note, I have booked part of my trip to Switzerland, anyone know if the Euro is legal tender, or will I need to get some Swiss Francs also?
It's hit and miss. Because it's a locked country surrounded by Euro a lot of businesses near the borders do accept Euro, although there is no legal requirement to do so. Deep in Switzerland i doubt it's accepted at all really.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Redirect Left wrote:
Pilot wrote: On another note, I have booked part of my trip to Switzerland, anyone know if the Euro is legal tender, or will I need to get some Swiss Francs also?
It's hit and miss. Because it's a locked country surrounded by Euro a lot of businesses near the borders do accept Euro, although there is no legal requirement to do so. Deep in Switzerland i doubt it's accepted at all really.
How about in Geneva?
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I personally can't answer that one, but TripAdvisor seems to think that museums and other touristy things + main shops may do, although any change probably won't be in Euros.

Trip Advisor
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Phew, my Internet connection was finally resurrected. I was beginning to worry they'd have to raze the entire apartment block to figure out what was wrong ...

Anyway, used the time to do other stuff. Like reading. Also, go out into nature:
http://oi63.tinypic.com/33omd7c.jpg
It actually turned out to be awesome (if exhausting ^^; ).
Chris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Chris »

Take some Swiss francs - touristy places in Geneva will usually accept euros but charge a bad exchange rate and give you change in francs so you shoukd avoid paying with euros. Also everything in Switzerland is really expensive.
Screenshots

Formerly Class 165
Dave

Post by Dave »

oftcrash wrote:This probably won't mean anything to anyone outside the US or Canada, but I was at David Ortiz's last game, was interviewed by Japanese media (Tokyo Broadcasting, I think), and got my picture on Sports Illustrated's web site.

The irony is that it's my wife who is the huge Red Sox fan, and she was blocked by the sign. I found another shot from a local paper where I'm visible again, but she's blocked by Ortiz's helmet. Finally I found another one in the Boston Globe that shows us both, though that one I'm digging for my phone or something and have a constipated look. Still, about once every 2 days I ask her, out of the blue, if she remembered that time I was in Sports Illustrated.
That's pretty cool! I don't think anyone who has an interest in baseball can't like Papi. Cool shot. Shame your only half a Sox fan. Still, pretty good bargaining chip with the significant other!?
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

If you can, avoid booking up stuff in advance. My last 4 holidays have consisted of a flight out and back and a place to stay for the first night, the rest you just roll with it and see what you like and where you want to go. It's brilliant.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Ameecher wrote:

If you can, avoid booking up stuff in advance. My last 4 holidays have consisted of a flight out and back and a place to stay for the first night, the rest you just roll with it and see what you like and where you want to go. It's brilliant.
I've had to book most things in advance, simply due to having a really strict budget to keep to. What I don't want to happen is to get part way through my trip an realise that I don't have enough money to do anything, or worse, to get home. Whilst I would love to do it the way you've said, I will probably have to wait until I have a bit more cash to splash :)
Chris wrote:Take some Swiss francs - touristy places in Geneva will usually accept euros but charge a bad exchange rate and give you change in francs so you shoukd avoid paying with euros. Also everything in Switzerland is really expensive.
Take Swiss Francs, I'll put that on my checklist of things to get, thanks! :D
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

For the most part, unless you're changing a very large amount of money, you'll get a better rate just taking out cash in an ATM when you arrive. Especially if you've got a 0% fee credit/debit card (see moneysavingexpert.com for suggestions).
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Might want to open a banking account and deposit some money there while you're at it; being a Brit and all. Just in case ;)
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Apparently there are a lot of people who still do not understand that when watching a Marvel movie, the movie is only over after the last after-credits scene, and not at the moment the first credit rolls...
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Transportman wrote:Apparently there are a lot of people who still do not understand that when watching a Marvel movie, the movie is only over after the last after-credits scene, and not at the moment the first credit rolls...
Theres a handful of movies back then and now that have scenes with the credits or after, like the after-credit scenes in Thor and Iron Man, or some movies will have Deleted scenes/out takes.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by oftcrash »

Dave wrote:
oftcrash wrote:This probably won't mean anything to anyone outside the US or Canada, but I was at David Ortiz's last game, was interviewed by Japanese media (Tokyo Broadcasting, I think), and got my picture on Sports Illustrated's web site.

The irony is that it's my wife who is the huge Red Sox fan, and she was blocked by the sign. I found another shot from a local paper where I'm visible again, but she's blocked by Ortiz's helmet. Finally I found another one in the Boston Globe that shows us both, though that one I'm digging for my phone or something and have a constipated look. Still, about once every 2 days I ask her, out of the blue, if she remembered that time I was in Sports Illustrated.
That's pretty cool! I don't think anyone who has an interest in baseball can't like Papi. Cool shot. Shame your only half a Sox fan. Still, pretty good bargaining chip with the significant other!?
It worked out well. The tickets were expensive, but they counted as an early Anniversary gift, so I made out ok :)

I've become a fan, just not to the degree that my wife is. She was in tears at the end of that game.

We're rooting for the Cubs now... at least until April. Some of the Cubs players (Ross, Lackey, Lester) were on the 2013 Red Sox team. Its funny, we don't go to a lot of games - maybe 2 a year - but we were at the one in 2013 where Papi got the grand slam in the ALDS to come back and beat the Tigers (the one with the two legs in the air and the cop with his arms in the air).
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Pilot wrote:On another note, I have booked part of my trip to Switzerland, anyone know if the Euro is legal tender, or will I need to get some Swiss Francs also?
Well, in Sweden many touristy areas accept the Euro but with a not so favorable exchange rate. Had you been visiting here, I'd tell you to get some Swedish Kronor. Therefore, in Switzerland, you're probably best off using Swiss Francs.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Simozzz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Simozzz »

Sometimes exchange rates far from fair. Here I saw some souvenirs being sold for 150 roubles or 5 dollars (which equal to 315 roubles).
Also try not to use plastic cards since they take money as commission for exchange.
Sorry for my bad English.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Pyoro wrote:Might want to open a banking account and deposit some money there while you're at it; being a Brit and all. Just in case ;)
Haha, I was thinking the same to be honest :lol:
Chrill wrote:
Pilot wrote:On another note, I have booked part of my trip to Switzerland, anyone know if the Euro is legal tender, or will I need to get some Swiss Francs also?
Well, in Sweden many touristy areas accept the Euro but with a not so favorable exchange rate. Had you been visiting here, I'd tell you to get some Swedish Kronor. Therefore, in Switzerland, you're probably best off using Swiss Francs.
Yep, will definitely take some Francs, just to be on the safe side, don't quite fancy getting ripped off! I'll have to remember your advise about Kronor, Sweden may be a part of my plans next year! :D
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Travelling with Euro only in Sweden will limit you to only the most touristy restaurants and shops in the Old Town center of Stockholm. Then again, depending on your card provider, you might be saving money paying by card. I did that when visiting London this summer, the fee per transaction was lower than the fee for exchanging money. The exchange rate itself was better too. You won't find any place in Sweden that doesn't accept card by one way or another (even many hot dog stands and the like accept card payments). We're moving toward a digital currency!
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)

Return to “Off-Topic”