Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:04 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 14809 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1735 736 737 738 739741 Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:43 pm 
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Pyoro wrote:
Pilot wrote:
Yet your English is still better than mine.

Well, I did go there drunk because I knew I'd ace it even then (not that that's saying much, they aren't difficult in Germany).

I got a B in my German Exam, and I can just about say "Guten Morgen, wie Geht's" and "Danke schön" and not much else. I think we know which country has the easier language exams! :lol:

That being said, I could very easily have cheated in both my German speaking and German writing exams.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:49 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

"Mir geht es gut." ;)

Cheating would have been difficult. I think the exam was part translation and part writing an essay. Translations I always found super-easy since even if I don't something I'm good at guessing from context (my Latin "translations" were essentially entirely guesswork xD ), and essays, well. I'll just use the vocabulary and such that I know and avoid everything I don't, so that's not too difficult either ^^

But I can imagine that German would have been more difficult. English by and large has similar rules to German, except that everything is simpler. Obviously this is easier to handle than the other way around.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:56 pm 
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Pyoro wrote:
Cheating would have been difficult. I think the exam was part translation and part writing an essay.

Ah, see, our German Writing and Speaking exams we were basically told that you should write a script about what we wanted to say, our teacher would mark it and check it, and then we basically had to learn that, however, when it came to the writing exam, our Teacher walked out of the classroom and many of us had our scripts in our schoolbags, whilst in the Speaking exam, they asked to see the script so that they could help us if we struggled, and if you wanted to, you could have read off the script that was basically infront of us upside down.

The listening and reading exams were slightly more difficult though, however, I found listening to German (only if it is said slowly, like in these exams) rather simple to do, whilst reading at times can be simple, as many words are rather similar, so you can pick out the words you know, and sort of guess the words you don't know.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:10 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Listening exams at school are just a joke. We had some that were of course recorded in perfect Oxford-English; everything pronounced perfectly clearly. Now, watching a Hollywood movie or some sports on BBC that works, but who else talks like that? ^^

German finals are bit complicated depending on which combination of exams you pick, but English was just written for me, while for example in History I had do a presentation (and I talked about a certain puny French guy of all people! Well, it actually was an interesting topic ^^).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:30 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

ALEXbr wrote:
some people say that our actual exams are too easy compared to the ones in the Communism

Ah I remember those teachers. Them old whiny toads.

Can't omit the king himself, the gymnasium maths teacher who was close to retirement so half the time he didn't teach anything just rant about how everything is crap now, like the school is easier, people have no jobs, we don't celebrate labor day anymore, how a comedian should be put in the joint for making fun of communism, which was so much better and didn't have any of the problems of the modern age.

Thanks to his amazing communist teaching technique, we barely learned any math at school.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:41 pm 
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Pyoro wrote:
We had some that were of course recorded in perfect Oxford-English; everything pronounced perfectly clearly

Oh yes, one does indeed talk like that, as well as one indeed knows the Queen :lol: Yeah, none of us actually speak like that, even the presenters on BBC Sport are putting it on.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:38 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Pilot wrote:
Pyoro wrote:
We had some that were of course recorded in perfect Oxford-English; everything pronounced perfectly clearly

Oh yes, one does indeed talk like that, as well as one indeed knows the Queen :lol: Yeah, none of us actually speak like that, even the presenters on BBC Sport are putting it on.

I dunno I think you might be surprised. Obviously I don't speak the Queen's English and my accent isn't as posh as the BBC English (eg. traaarrnsport instead of transport, Glaaarrsgow not Glasgow and s-cone not skon (scone)) but I imagine it would be fairly similar to what you refer to as Oxford English, and is pretty much how everyone speaks where I am from.

Of course not every English person you meet is going to be from the south east but imagine how confused you'd be if you learned English in a Geordie accent!

Formerly Class 165

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:59 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I know. I also know plenty of Germans that speak perfect "Hochdeutsch" (sounds incredibly obnoxious to me), so it's not like it's just a "fantasy" thing they are doing.
Same for example for Japanese; I mean, I learned my pronunciation through anime and I always thought, well, heck, that's gotta be artificially "clean"! But walking around in Tokyo I didn't even notice I small difference or anything, it's exactly like that (they do have dialects elsewhere though ^^).

And English - well, I was for example over for a highschool exchange thing in Phoenix, Arizona, and the people there, sure, once they knew you were German they slowed down a bit and that sort of thing, but they are perfectly fine to understand. Might have been different in less "posh neighborhood" or something but largely it really was no big deal. Would have expected more US drawl to be honest. ^^

Anyway I haven't managed to get rid of my Swabian dialect so if you're not a native German Swabian you probably won't understand me :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:28 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Scottish English is purity itself.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:34 am 
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Drury wrote:
Scottish English is purity itself.

The Scottish Accent is a lovely accent when listening to it, but when you're trying to understand what is being said, it can be rather difficult! My Great-Grandparents were Scottish, and they were difficult to understand at times, as were many other members of my family.

It's also rather interesting on a phone call with a poor mobile signal!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:14 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Of course, Scotland, like England, has many different accents. A Glaswegian accent and an Orcadian accent are two entirely different things, for instance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:21 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Except heavy Glaswegian accents, I can understand them all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:31 am 

During the Swedish summer, national radio channel P1 airs a show every day with a new guest host. They basically host a 90 minute radio show where they basically speak. A monologue, mixed with music.

Former coach Roy Hodgson hosted his "Summer in P1" show today. In Swedish. Very impressive. He coached a couple clubs here in the 1980s, but left 27 years ago. I would not remember a language that far later.

(Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91) 2016-06-23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:32 am 
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Chrill wrote:
Former coach Roy Hodgson hosted his "Summer in P1" show today. In Swedish.

Swedish isn't the only language Roy is apparently fluent in. He's also fluent in Norwegian, German and Italian according to the 10th Paragraph of this Daily Mail article. Though the article does also then go on to say he only speaks a smattering of German, straight after saying he is fluent in it, British Journalism at it's best...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:39 pm 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

So it's been a while since I was here. OpenTTD is even more addictive than ever.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:19 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

donchatryit wrote:
So it's been a while since I was here. OpenTTD is even more addictive than ever.

I know that feel. :mrgreen:
There is an old post somewhere in the depths of the forums where I stated that I'd probably die sooner then have Owen delete my account or just stop visiting. And well, here we are 13 years since my initial subscription. Not as active as I used to but I never forget about good ol' tt-forums.net. :D

All the memories and nostalgia. You're lucky I'm not around at meetings. I might sound like some old fart reminiscing about the past. :P
Sometimes I even remember that I also helped drawing stuff for OTTD (the transmitter! :lol: ).

Closet troll that got locked inside and accidentally left the keys outside.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:33 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Hey Mr. X, great to see you! Don't worry, you're not the only old fart here. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:42 am 
Engineer
Engineer

I hacked a price scanner like this Image
by simply scanning with it a QR code :P
It showed some code with courier new instead "Scan your product"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:10 am 

That is very random indeed.

(Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91) 2016-06-23

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:43 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

So what color is that alluring eye shadow?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 14809 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1735 736 737 738 739741 Next