The Thread Of Randomness

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by orudge »

Those photos bring back some memories... :mrgreen:

Scarily enough, those photos are around 20 years old now I believe!
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

It's amazing how I can still remember some stuff like it was yesterday.
We're getting old. :lol:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Had an odd dilemma today.
Bought a carbon monoxide alarm to put next to my boiler today, in the UK properties only need a fire alarm, a carbon monoxide alarm doesn't need to be provided by a landlord, so i thought i'd get one.

Set it up, placed it next to the boiler and it immediately started beeping. Cue me spending 5 minutes trying to figure out if the alarm i had bought was faulty, or if my boiler had been emitting levels of gas unbeknownst for a while.
Eventually I decided to sit myself next to the boiler, literally as close as I could get to it, and watch a few episodes of American Dad! on my laptop. After 90 minutes I was still feeling healthy, no lightheadedness or dizzyness so i declared the fault as being with the alarm.

Probably not the official way of testing for that!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
SomeIndianGuy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by SomeIndianGuy »

Hey guys, do you like Indian food?
Nothing to put here!
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Redirect Left wrote:Had an odd dilemma today.
Bought a carbon monoxide alarm to put next to my boiler today, in the UK properties only need a fire alarm, a carbon monoxide alarm doesn't need to be provided by a landlord, so i thought i'd get one.

Set it up, placed it next to the boiler and it immediately started beeping. Cue me spending 5 minutes trying to figure out if the alarm i had bought was faulty, or if my boiler had been emitting levels of gas unbeknownst for a while.
Eventually I decided to sit myself next to the boiler, literally as close as I could get to it, and watch a few episodes of American Dad! on my laptop. After 90 minutes I was still feeling healthy, no lightheadedness or dizzyness so i declared the fault as being with the alarm.

Probably not the official way of testing for that!
That's up there with the dumbest things I've ever heard. I'd have personally taken the alarm outside to see if was still beeping away from any source of CO...
Bearing in mind you wouldn't be aware of CO poisoning this was a very dangerous test.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Ameecher wrote: Bearing in mind you wouldn't be aware of CO poisoning this was a very dangerous test.
That is definitely not true. You do not just drop dead from Carbon Monoxide. It is generally only dangerous when sleeping or you're otherwise not expecting it and so the symptoms of CO can go by unnoticed. However if you're expecting it you definitely should be aware of it occuring, given the more common symptoms range from dizziness, headacheds of varying strengths to straight up feeling like you will, or actual vomiting. They're not the most subtle of symptoms, especially when prepared and expecting them.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

SomeIndianGuy wrote:Hey guys, do you like Indian food?
Yes.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Redirect Left wrote:
Ameecher wrote: Bearing in mind you wouldn't be aware of CO poisoning this was a very dangerous test.
That is definitely not true. You do not just drop dead from Carbon Monoxide. It is generally only dangerous when sleeping or you're otherwise not expecting it and so the symptoms of CO can go by unnoticed. However if you're expecting it you definitely should be aware of it occuring, given the more common symptoms range from dizziness, headacheds of varying strengths to straight up feeling like you will, or actual vomiting. They're not the most subtle of symptoms, especially when prepared and expecting them.
Even then the better test would have been to take the alarm outside of the room to verify it was still beeping... Also, wasn't it beeping because the battery was empty (most pre-packaged batteries are already half dead)?
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

The Stamford model railway exhibition has been trashed by vandals. They broke into the hall the exhibition was at, and ransacked the entire thing, smashing exhibitions and stomping on the remains, including a model train worth thousands of pounds. Four youths have been arrested.

BBC News

I dread to think the real value of everything destroyed, and how many hours of work has been lost in this act of random vandalism.
AntoninKyrene
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AntoninKyrene »

OpenTTD steam locomotives should be driven by a cadre of witchetty-grub-intoxicated platypodes.
Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Today I found out why I was never able to tell direction in games from sounds, watched a video that contained very directional sounds, and noted that they were coming outr the opposite speaker displayed on screen.

Turns out for the past few year, my left speaker has been on the right, and vice versa.
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

FINLAND IS THE NEW CHAMPION

TO THE MARKETPLACE
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well, if we had to lose to Finland we might as well let them win the whole thing.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I know this may be a desperate and futile attempt, but is there anyone here who happens to have the TV show Party of Five on DVD and would be willing to sell it + ship it to me for a decent price? My wife is watching it on Netflix and Netflix's rights expire on 1 June. :P
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

If CEX sell overseas, you can pick up the seasons DVDs of them for like £1 each, some are even £0.50 - not sure how much P&P will be though.

https://uk.webuy.com/search?stext=Party%20of%20Five - lots of Mario Party results, but if you look through there are some for a show called Part of Five
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

It’s now 12 years exactly since a bunch of intrepid tycoons set foot in Birmingham! How time flies...
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

No time for a 2019 meet (unless arranged post-summer), I suppose, but how about planning a 2020 meet already?
My Scenarios:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

If you'd like to do so, please feel free! :)

With 3 kids on the go as well as various other responsibilities, I don't have time to organise it myself, but attendance is a possibility depending on when/where.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I'd look to attend anything in the UK. Perhaps it is time for a return to the Rail Museum in York? Given its been a while, hopefully they still let out the rooms to groups.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Well, so this happens today...

https://english.kontan.co.id/news/indon ... r-blackout

Has been going on since 11.50 UTC+7 (now as I am editing this post it's 16.10 UTC+7). Western half of Java seems to have been in near-total blackout, from West Java province to DKI Jakarta and Banten province, along with western parts of Central Java province. Took me a fortune to be able to post this. Telephone lines are disrupted, mobile networks are almost entirely down, electric trains stopped, traffic lights shut down, tollbooths (which now uses ETC) disrupted.

And I'm guessing very well we never have backups for this since it has been down for 4 hours.

Great.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。

Return to “Off-Topic”