The Thread Of Randomness

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Redirect Left »

supermop wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:... whilst there was a strike on, ... their job could be taken over and done almost as well by someone who isn't paid ...
Seems pretty clear why a complaint would be made to me - this is pretty much the whole point of a strike.
Probably not a smart move, especially if you felt so threatened by the volunteer doing your job for £0.00 per annum that you wanted to file a complaint. To me that shows you're not very confident in your self worth to the job or company.

I've also never thought of deciding to up to my tools over a fence and be as inconvenient as possible to everyone else, and i still do it for free without that :P
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Redirect Left wrote:As some of you may know. I volunteer at a rail station.
How does that work ? Do you just come in at some odd time or something ?

But yeah, given the common occurence of "volunteers" at british stations, it just shows their complacency. Heck, if I'm a regular user, I won't mind helping some things clean (though probably not emptying the larger cans.)
Last edited by YNM on 13 Apr 2018 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

YNM wrote:
How does that work ? Do you just come in at some odd time or soemthing ?
He just walks around in a hi-vis jacket and tells people what to do, not affiliated with the railways at all. :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Chrill wrote:He just walks around in a hi-vis jacket and tells people what to do, not affiliated with the railways at all. :mrgreen:
Huh, like where's the next train, where's the loo or other things etc ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

YNM wrote:
How does that work ? Do you just come in at some odd time or something ?

But yeah, given the common occurence of "volunteers" at british stations, it just shows their complacency. Heck, if I'm a regular user, I won't mind helping some things clean (though probably not emptying the larger cans.)
We specifically man an information desk, and some of us do some gardening too. I also do some other tasks as they come up if the staff are unavailable (generally they're in a meeting, or have all decided to take a break at the same time, there isn't much organisation...) and help people onto trains that need help, or have way too much luggage to handle by themselves. The rail station i'm at is one of the direct links into Manchester Airport.

As far as I know, non of the volunteers (certainly non of the people at the station i'm at) are directly hired or appointed by the train companies or Network Rail, they're just independent 'Friends of' groups that have been given nothing more but permission to operate where they are. We certainly at this point get absolutely zero co-operation from the train company of the stationn we're at beyond the space, and we're left to do what we can with the zero resources other than space provided by them.

I've tried to talk to high up people at Leeds to start a group there, as there is never any staff on the platforms outside of the ones directly next to the main entrance, but they ignore me, which I take as "no go away".

Honestly, all the operating companies in the Yorkshire area (probably with the few exceptions of Grand Central & East Midlands Trains) hugely suck, and wouldn't know proper public relations if it came up to them and flashed them and slapped them, after volunteering at a station for two years now, I've grown to have nothing but bitter resentment for them, now I have an understanding of the inside of the companies. From what is said, i'd suspect a few others from varying volunteer groups feel the same.

good thing about not directly working for anyone, i can say what i want and the exact truth and not have to fear my job
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Everyones favourite meatball, the hearty Swedish one, is apparently not Swedish. They're turkish in origin!

Still, at least they're delicious!

BBC News.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

That's OK. In exchange, the modern döner kebab variation is basically a German invention ;)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Redirect Left wrote:Everyones favourite meatball, the hearty Swedish one, is apparently not Swedish. They're turkish in origin!

Still, at least they're delicious!

BBC News.
I just came to post this. Boo.

It is true though, but it's not like this was recently discovered. We know where it came from, the Swedish king Charles XII lived in exile (but was still King of Sweden, mind you!) in Turkey for about 5 years before returning to Sweden after an incident we refer to as "Kalabaliken i Bender" (Wikipedia)
My Scenarios:
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Redirect Left wrote:They're turkish in origin!
What are you talking about ?

They're clearly from where I live :twisted:

But seriously, meatballs in sauce/condiments of sorts are common across Europe / West Asia.
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

The temperature is too damn high!
Attachments
2018-05-07 15_04_49-Lupset Estate Wakefield weather - Google Search.png
2018-05-07 15_04_49-Lupset Estate Wakefield weather - Google Search.png (23.57 KiB) Viewed 4019 times
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Redirect Left wrote:The temperature is too damn high!
If only I could get that throughout the day here XD (where i live it has a significant elevation)

But yeah, I say that's a good thing. Sun is good, heat is good, unless you're trying to be formal under it !
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Boo hoo! I love it, we're enjoying mid-20s here too!
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote:
That's more acceptable than high 20s here. I don't live in the UK for warmth, I live here for cold and rain that keeps the kids indoors and not being loud and annoying :p
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Redirect Left wrote:
Chrill wrote:
That's more acceptable than high 20s here. I don't live in the UK for warmth, I live here for cold and rain that keeps the kids indoors and not being loud and annoying :p
You need to naff off to Scotland then. I live in the UK for the large variability of weather from suitable cold and snowy winters (Back in the day) to scorching hot summers, that make our apparently inadequate tarmac melt...
Last known as: Weirdy
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

SkeedR wrote: I live in the UK for the large variability of weather from suitable cold and snowy winters (Back in the day) to scorching hot summers, that make our apparently inadequate tarmac melt...
Eh. I have lived all my life on or around the Pennines. So the snow here is quite common still.
ALEXbr
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ALEXbr »

In Romania when it rains (not often) it really rains. And when it snows it really snows. In the rest, very warm.Image
I got my last simulation (maths) before the final exam of high school admission. I know you don't know Romanian, but how they do seem for you compared with your exams? I hope I will have a good grade (10- the maximum).ImageImage
Monday was the simulation for literature and grammar. It was very difficult, more difficult than an ordinary exam.
I also am very close to finishing a map of the public transportation routes; my first real one. I learned a lot about the Inkscape during making it...
ⒶALEX
My screenshots (OpenTTD); what should I do? Also, AltSFX!
I❤️OTTD
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

The place where I live is naturally colder than the rest of the country.
20180509_221450.png
(167.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ALEXbr wrote:I know you don't know Romanian...
That's miles harder than the maths XD
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Today, I was told one of the staff had filed a grievance against me.

A few week ago, whilst there was a strike on, that affected the drivers, conductors and cleaners (for some reason, i don't know why they got involved). The station got pretty messy, so I helped myself to a set of rubbish bags, totally cleaned up the station, litter picking, emptied full bins and generally improved the stations appearance. It gets pretty messy after even a few hours of cleaners doing jack all. I did it all in the correct manner, and put on a hi-vis with the logo for the volunteer group. I in no way appeared or attempted to come across as an actual cleaner, just wearing my normal volunteer uniform.

Apparently one of them was super offended that I demonstrated their job could be taken over and done almost as well by someone who isn't paid and doing it out of concern for the passengers opinion of the company who runs the station, which isn't even the one that took part in the main strike action.

That'll be a fun meeting next time i'm in. Got called up about it this evening, shall be given a meeting with someone from the company soon. Hopefully its for sake of appearances due to it being an official complaint, rather than anything serious.
As a general piece of employment advice, I would advise not posting things like this. This type of thing would be in contravention of most employers social media policies and there you get yourself into another potential grievance situation.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Ameecher wrote: This type of thing would be in contravention of most employers social media policies and there you get yourself into another potential grievance situation.
Good for all I care :p I have nothing but disdain for the entire rules and regulations people are expected to follow these days. Plus I have the advantage of more than likely being unemployed for medical reasons all of my natural life, so I can afford to do things off the cuff, considering everything I do is entirely for free and out of the goodness of my heart :p
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Redirect Left wrote:
Ameecher wrote: This type of thing would be in contravention of most employers social media policies and there you get yourself into another potential grievance situation.
Good for all I care :p I have nothing but disdain for the entire rules and regulations people are expected to follow these days. Plus I have the advantage of more than likely being unemployed for medical reasons all of my natural life, so I can afford to do things off the cuff, considering everything I do is entirely for free and out of the goodness of my heart :p
Hear, hear!

I'm currently trying to raise some money for my youngest son to be able to travel to a prestigious academic competition later this summer. The school principal rang me up and asked if I included the name of the school or the program. I said I did, because, of course, my son goes to the school and is part of the program. She told me that I had to remove that because it requires written permission from the school board to do anything like this on social media.

What? :shock: Get outta here...

I'm not going to change a thing. It would be one thing if the issue was I was trying to pass myself off as representing the school or the program and attempting to raise funds for either. I'm raising funds for my son, and factually pointing out his membership, which is common knowledge. If she wants to be a snot about it, then I've got a solid claim of a government attack on my First Amendment rights, but I'm just flat out shocked that when the school principal hears that one student is having to struggle to raise money to go to an expensive event thei first thought isn't "What can we do to help?" but "You didn't ask our permission."

Return to “Off-Topic”