The Thread Of Randomness

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Dave

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by Dave »

Pilot wrote:Booking.com, please, stop sending me emails saying I could go to such and such a place. You're making me want to go, and I can't afford to! :cry:

Also, stop telling me that it's a Tough Choice between Accrington, Barcelona and Berlin! It's a simple answer, go to Accrington! Who doesn't want to go there? :lol:
I generally stay at hotels whenever I go back to Dudley, booked via booking.com - now I just get "see these great things in Dudley"

There ain't many...
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

Merry Hill shopping centre?
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Surely the most popular attraction is the M5 on the way out? :mrgreen:

I can only imagine what wonderful places the person who books Hotels for our company gets offered. Milton Keynes, Burton, etc. How lovely!
ALEXbr
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ALEXbr »

Pilot wrote:Much richer maybe, however, products are far more expensive!
Indeed, but in eastern Europe it's some fuss about the quality of the products: the products in the West are better than those in the East. And under the same brand, same package. And some prices of the products in East are bigger than those sold in West... Well, the comparison was made especially to Germany and it was explained that a product sold in Romania is sold in UK too (I meant only a product, not the usual activity)...

Huh... Today at school a mate asked the teacher in the Chemistry Class:
- Which are the valences of the Iron?
That mate was naughty. He didn't receive an answer to his question (he could look in the book) but:
- I don't want to listen your voice untill the scholastic year will finish!

A few weeks ago I was at a contest about EU. My geography teacher was there as well. Once he told "Once the UK will leave EU they will grow faster as there will be no troubles from EU in it's development: all their money will go to them, not some parts of them to EU budget and no EU regulations"...

Have a good day, I will have a good day knowing that I will have 5 free days!
ⒶALEX
My screenshots (OpenTTD); what should I do? Also, AltSFX!
I❤️OTTD
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

Yes, I mean you can see how much the EU held back Wales...
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

What's really up with the spam ? I hope we don't end up blocking the majority of IPv4...
Gwyd wrote:Yes, I mean you can see how much the EU held back Wales...
Really ? I thought that a lot of the (infra, obviously) works everywhere round EU has some "EU "improvement" " things on it or is it just some standard sign ? Or are we talking about import/exports (trade economy)... not really interested in the politics, more interested in various views (as long as not a wall of text !).
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

It was sarcasm: without the EU, Wales would be serverly impoverished.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Gwyd wrote:It was sarcasm: without the EU, Wales would be serverly impoverished.
Well, perhaps the torries gov't could throw another " *insert-things-here* for prosperity" or something while it's their shine-time :wink:
ALEXbr wrote:This is all my homework for maths...
1496154707157-426261783.jpg
Pilot wrote:Letters and Numbers... Don't worry, it doesn't change, that's all my job is! :mrgreen:
Those are geometry ? Those are not numbers, those are shapes !

to anyone calling geometry "bunch of numbers", you deserve to be beheaded :twisted: until we're talking about statistics, probability or calculus there are no numbers whatsoever !
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
ALEXbr
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ALEXbr »

This is about cartesian coordinate system. It was a long homework and many mates didn't do that homework. The teacher promised them a bad grade.
ⒶALEX
I❤️OTTD
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Well, thankfully that day has finally come to an end, I thought it never would!
YNM wrote:
ALEXbr wrote:This is all my homework for maths...
1496154707157-426261783.jpg
Pilot wrote:Letters and Numbers... Don't worry, it doesn't change, that's all my job is! :mrgreen:
Those are geometry ? Those are not numbers, those are shapes !

to anyone calling geometry "bunch of numbers", you deserve to be beheaded :twisted: until we're talking about statistics, probability or calculus there are no numbers whatsoever !
What I saw in the picture was just a "bunch of numbers" :P At the end of the day, all it is IS a bunch of numbers, just a certain combination of numbers (along with letters and symbols) to make Geometry :P
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Pilot wrote: What I saw in the picture was just a "bunch of numbers" :P At the end of the day, all it is IS a bunch of numbers, just a certain combination of numbers (along with letters and symbols) to make Geometry :P
Fair enough...
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
ALEXbr
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ALEXbr »

BTW, when you studied those cartesian coordinate systems at school, which grade? I studied them at the end of 7th grade. But I b I heard that things in Romania are learnt in lower grades than in other countries.

No link to these: I heard you allow gay marriages (West-Europeans). In Romania we don't allow them in organic law. And Coaliția pentru familie (coalition for family) supported by 3 million signatures (more than 1/7 of country) wants to not allow gay marriage in the Constitution. More exactly to replace "The family is created upon the intentioned marriage between spouses" to "The family is created upon the intentioned marriage between one man and one woman". My music teacher told: We should take the good things from West, not the bad ones, as to be one man capable to marry with an other man. We have no kind of cohabitation for them.
ⒶALEX
I❤️OTTD
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

ALEXbr wrote:BTW, when you studied those cartesian coordinate systems at school, which grade? I studied them at the end of 7th grade. But I b I heard that things in Romania are learnt in lower grades than in other countries.
I don't remember so I looked it up, apparently we teach that in 9th year of regular elementary schools and 7th or 8th year in gymnasiums, but in the UK they do in Key Stage 3 which is between 7th and 9th year and I have no idea how that system works.

So yeah it's all over the place I guess.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Drury wrote:but in the UK they do in Key Stage 3 which is between 7th and 9th year and I have no idea how that system works
Years 7-9 in the UK are the first years of High School, then Years 10-11 are the years that one would study for our GCSEs (Key Stage 4). High School in the UK covers ages 11-16, hope that helps explain it to you :)
ALEXbr wrote:BTW, when you studied those cartesian coordinate systems at school, which grade? I studied them at the end of 7th grade. But I b I heard that things in Romania are learnt in lower grades than in other countries
I don't remember doing them, but it may have been called something different, or I may have just completely forgotten about it.
ALEXbr wrote:No link to these: I heard you allow gay marriages (West-Europeans)
We do indeed in the UK, not sure about other countries entirely, though I think the majority (if not all) of others do.

Also, going back to booking.com, they are at it again! Offered me Accrington, Barca and Berlin again. Show's me nice pics for the latter two, Accrington however? Well, how about I show you?
Accrington Pie.PNG
Accrington Pie.PNG (294.44 KiB) Viewed 1619 times
Also, I'm probably going to get a warning for spamming about booking.com or something, I'm like a walking, talking, typing advert. :mrgreen:
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Pilot wrote:
Drury wrote:but in the UK they do in Key Stage 3 which is between 7th and 9th year and I have no idea how that system works
Years 7-9 in the UK are the first years of High School, then Years 10-11 are the years that one would study for our GCSEs (Key Stage 4). High School in the UK covers ages 11-16, hope that helps explain it to you :)
Except Scotland. They don't do that.
Train<In>Vain
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Train<In>Vain »

The past week in the US summed up in one tweet:
TeachMeHowTo inthe @taken629

Tiger Woods: Watch me destroy my "career"...

Kathy Griffin: Here Tiger, hold my beer..

Bill Maher: Damn Amateurs...
8:36 PM - 2 Jun 2017
:lol:
Rookie of the Year: 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Ameecher wrote:Except Scotland. They don't do that.
And they've now changed the exam system in Scotland, so I'm now officially an old fart when I talk about my Standard Grades (like people talking about their O-levels, who evidently are now even older farts).

Highers and Advanced Highers, for the moment, are still the same, I think.

And of course, the years (P1-7, S1-6) remain the same, and to my mind seem more logical (as you have a distinction between primary and secondary).
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Silly Scots with their silly education system :wink: Is there any particular reason why the system is different there, or is just a "We're Scottish, we like to do things differently" situation?

Also, 6 years of secondary education north of the border? I find that rather interesting.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

orudge wrote:
Ameecher wrote:Except Scotland. They don't do that.
And they've now changed the exam system in Scotland, so I'm now officially an old fart when I talk about my Standard Grades (like people talking about their O-levels, who evidently are now even older farts).

Highers and Advanced Highers, for the moment, are still the same, I think.

And of course, the years (P1-7, S1-6) remain the same, and to my mind seem more logical (as you have a distinction between primary and secondary).
So they finally left the Hogwarts system for something else? About time that happened.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Pilot wrote:Silly Scots with their silly education system :wink: Is there any particular reason why the system is different there, or is just a "We're Scottish, we like to do things differently" situation?
As I understand it, universal education in Scotland predates that in England, so maybe it's a "We're English, we like to do things differently" situation. ;)

Effectively though, the two systems (I believe Wales and Northern Ireland more or less follow the English system) simply developed differently.
Pilot wrote:Also, 6 years of secondary education north of the border? I find that rather interesting.
It seems you have 7 years in England though?

Wikipedia has a handy comparative table. England has something called "reception" (why isn't that just "year 1"?) when we have P1, so then our P2 is your Year 1, and so on, up to P7/Year 6. Then our S1-S6 are your Years 7-12. But you apparently have an extra Year 13.

When I was at school, only S1-S4 were mandatory, you could then choose to go to college or get a job instead of staying on for S5 (and optionally S6).

And looking at that table, Northern Ireland uses the sensible Scottish system for P1-7, but then uses "years" for secondary.

Could be worse though, could be the arguably more confusing American system!

We also have 4 years of university instead of 3, although in theory you can do direct entry to second year if your grades are good enough and you want to do so.

Return to “Off-Topic”