The Thread Of Randomness

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Thread Of Randomness

Post by orudge »

Congratulations, SkeedR! Very exciting news indeed! :)
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

So, at least once a week, I get a call from a number that is not saved into my phone. Now, work has gotten me into the habit of answering unknown/unsaved numbers, for the simple reason that it could be related to work.

However, every week, without fail, these guys ring up (from a different number each time, so I can't just block the number), asking for a particular name - the same one every time. I've told them on a multitude of occasions that I'm not this person and to stop calling me, however they keep calling back. Apart from changing my number, is there anything that I can actually do to stop this, as it's beginning to really annoy me now.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Pilot wrote:Apart from changing my number, is there anything that I can actually do to stop this, as it's beginning to really annoy me now.
Maybe get another number, and slowly use that for things you really sure is for work or so ? I know obtaining a number isn't very ideal, but having two numbers is somewhat useful when you have to fill in things that's almost certain to be "valuable data" (for marketing etc.) while the other is only given to families, coworkers etc. where talking is more important than just caling.

Could also be useful for different plan rate - most internet packages are expensive for calls and sms, those that don't are expensive for internet.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

YNM wrote:but having two numbers is somewhat useful.
I already have 2 numbers, my work and my personal one - it's my personal that this is happening with, and I really don't want to change that number as I've had it for 6-7 years.

If I could get out the habit of answer calls from random numbers, I would, but because of work, that's difficult, as well as occasionally getting important calls from random numbers on my personal phone as well.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Pilot wrote:
YNM wrote:but having two numbers is somewhat useful.
I already have 2 numbers, my work and my personal one - it's my personal that this is happening with, and I really don't want to change that number as I've had it for 6-7 years.

If I could get out the habit of answer calls from random numbers, I would, but because of work, that's difficult, as well as occasionally getting important calls from random numbers on my personal phone as well.
Do you also have 2 phones, or just one dual-sim phone? Maybe get another phone for work, to keep those separated completely.

Also, if it is important on your personal phone, they can call you again if it is an unknown number. Although, most numbers should be familiar.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I get around this, by making sure everyone who isn't family know, the only way to get in touch with me is a letter. Then i can happily ignore any phone calls, as all the companies that are contacting me have been told to use letters, and if they don't.
Not my problem as far as i'm concerned :p
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Transportman wrote:Do you also have 2 phones, or just one dual-sim phone?
2 Phones, yes... although sometimes I wish my personal mobile had dual-sim capability, as my work phone isn't the easiest to use. The issue is more mental for me really I think, because I do sometimes redirect my work phone to my personal one, so I get a little bit confused as to which is doing what.
Transportman wrote:most numbers should be familiar.
I'm really poor at remembering random phone numbers, the only one I know that I occasionally get that isn't saved is Booking.com, as they use a Dutch number. Other than that, it could be anything.
Redirect Left wrote:the only way to get in touch with me is a letter
I prefer not to wait 17 years for everything :wink:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Pilot wrote:
Redirect Left wrote:the only way to get in touch with me is a letter
I prefer not to wait 17 years for everything :wink:
Time to complain to your local delviery office then :P All my letters take no more than 24 to 48 hours to get here :P
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Pilot wrote:I already have 2 numbers, my work and my personal one - it's my personal that this is happening with, and I really don't want to change that number as I've had it for 6-7 years.
Get a third number, and slowly "phase out" the first ? Once the first is "quiet enough", you can use that as the real personal one. I just noticed that my other number (which I had since long, and I use for filling things once I had another) is now pretty quiet.

But yeah, calls arent the .net with all it's automatic blockages.

Very not ideal, I know ! That'd exhaust 135 million numbers for UK alone !
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Pilot wrote:
Transportman wrote:Do you also have 2 phones, or just one dual-sim phone?
2 Phones, yes... although sometimes I wish my personal mobile had dual-sim capability, as my work phone isn't the easiest to use. The issue is more mental for me really I think, because I do sometimes redirect my work phone to my personal one, so I get a little bit confused as to which is doing what.
Don't redirect it anymore, set different ringtones, set your personal phone on quiet during work, just make them as different as possible.
Transportman wrote:most numbers should be familiar.
I'm really poor at remembering random phone numbers, the only one I know that I occasionally get that isn't saved is Booking.com, as they use a Dutch number. Other than that, it could be anything.
You have a phone to remember them with nice contact names, don't do it yourself.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

My (nearly 8-year-old) daughter saw me playing around with OpenTTD on my tablet the other day, and asked if I could install it on her tablet. She now seems to be slightly addicted to it. She's still getting the hang of it (to be honest, I find the Android interface a bit fiddly, and it's quite a small tablet) but she seems to be enjoying it!
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Going to have to get her a little PC to play it on. Those tablet controls are irritating at best :P
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

orudge wrote:My (nearly 8-year-old) daughter saw me playing around with OpenTTD on my tablet the other day, and asked if I could install it on her tablet. She now seems to be slightly addicted to it. She's still getting the hang of it (to be honest, I find the Android interface a bit fiddly, and it's quite a small tablet) but she seems to be enjoying it!
[YouTube]https://youtu.be/GibiNy4d4gc[/YouTube]
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

I started on tablet, and moved up to PC. It was a new life for me.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Gwyd wrote:I started on tablet, and moved up to PC. It was a new life for me.
Wow, the tablet generation is now finding its way to Transport Tycoon. No longer are we simply the people who grew up with TTD and TTO. :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
LaRoso
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaRoso »

orudge wrote:(to be honest, I find the Android interface a bit fiddly, and it's quite a small tablet)
Actually I'm enjoying OpenTTD on my Smartphone. You're right, it is fiddly indeed, but on the go it's okay.
I use the same Savegames on Phone and PC, I'm really happy that this works so well.

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A3003 mit Tapatalk
L.A. Noire Fan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by L.A. Noire Fan »

Wow.

Been a while since I logged onto this site. I forgot I even had an account here.

I see nothing much has really changed. :lol:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

So lately i've been researching some words and etymology, as I... generally have nothing to do with my days.

It made me realise how many words are quite ironic or just a bit cruel, given their meaning.

Rhotacism - The inability to pronounce 'R' correctly. A word you wouldn't be able to pronounce due to having it...
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - The fear of long words. Also how to give people with this fear a heart attack.
Lisp - The inability to pronounce 'S' and 'Z' correctly. Again, if you have this, you can't pronounce the word correctly.
Aibohphobia - The fear of palindromes. Guess what? aibohphobia is a palindrome.
Halitosis - The medical term for bad breath. They also chose a word that causes more exhalations than comfortable for someone with halitosis.
Phonetic - This word is not actually spelt phonetically.
Stutter / Stammer - Very generally speaking, people who suffer from a stutter or stammer struggle to say words that start with S a bit more frequently than other letters, even more so if its 'St'. Rather cruel.
Lallation - The term used for a child (baby or toddlers) repetative meaningless babbles prior to learning their first words of what will become their native language. So far, not very cruel or ironic, however it can also be used to identify people who cannot enunciate their 'L's, usually sounding like an 'R'. Enjoy pronouncing that one then, even moreso if you also suffer from Rhotacism.

I wonder if these sorts of examples also carry over into other languages, or if the English are just a little irritating with their choice of words.
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Redirect Left wrote:So lately i've been researching some words and etymology, as I... generally have nothing to do with my days.

It made me realise how many words are quite ironic or just a bit cruel, given their meaning.

Rhotacism - The inability to pronounce 'R' correctly. A word you wouldn't be able to pronounce due to having it...
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - The fear of long words. Also how to give people with this fear a heart attack.
Lisp - The inability to pronounce 'S' and 'Z' correctly. Again, if you have this, you can't pronounce the word correctly.
Aibohphobia - The fear of palindromes. Guess what? aibohphobia is a palindrome.
Halitosis - The medical term for bad breath. They also chose a word that causes more exhalations than comfortable for someone with halitosis.
Phonetic - This word is not actually spelt phonetically.
Stutter / Stammer - Very generally speaking, people who suffer from a stutter or stammer struggle to say words that start with S a bit more frequently than other letters, even more so if its 'St'. Rather cruel.
Lallation - The term used for a child (baby or toddlers) repetative meaningless babbles prior to learning their first words of what will become their native language. So far, not very cruel or ironic, however it can also be used to identify people who cannot enunciate their 'L's, usually sounding like an 'R'. Enjoy pronouncing that one then, even moreso if you also suffer from Rhotacism.

I wonder if these sorts of examples also carry over into other languages, or if the English are just a little irritating with their choice of words.
Well, in Slovak:

Rhotacism = ráčkovanie, not nearly as bad as some other words with 'R's (especially long 'R's like in tŕnie) but probably still annoying to pronounce.
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - never heard of this tbh, sounds Latin though so it's probably the same.
Lisp = šušlanie (š is pronounced like sh), this is similar to lallation in how it mimics the speech of a lisping person. Some people with really bad lisp can't even pull a š, so there's that side to it as well.
Aibohphobia - another one I've never heard about. With how Latin/Greek words are appropriated in Slovak, the equivalent term would be "aibofóbia", which is close to a palindrome but no cigar. Slovak doesn't allow consecutive long syllables (i.e. syllables with the apostrophe-looking diacritics on the vowels, like the ó's), so you can't have "aibófóbia".
Halitosis = halitóza, another appropriated Latin word. ó is long, so even worse for the sufferers of this condition.
Phonetic = fonetický, every Slovak word is phonetic, including those stolen from Greeks. Checkmate!
Stutter = koktanie, pretty much the same deal except made even worse by there being a similar swear word that a stuttering person can easily land on.
Lallation = lalanie, again a similar word, same deal.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Interesting to hear those in Slovak. Also, seems nice that Slovakian is always phonetic. That'll make spelling a lot easier than some of our words!

Anyone got any other insight into other languages? I'd love to see them!

Return to “Off-Topic”