The Formula One Topic

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Chrill

Re: The Formula One Topic

Post by Chrill »

Melbourne is meant to be a non-Ferrari circuit though. Traditionally they do better at "normal" tracks, whereas Mercedes often do well in Australia. Admittedly, Mercedes do well everywhere since the introduction of the current engines.

If Vettel qualifies behind Hamilton but maintains such a performance gap in race trim, he will be dangerous this year. Very dangerous. If Vettel manages to lead into the first corner, he will be hard to catch for anybody else.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Just seen this video of a Comparison between the McLaren Honda of 2017, and the Renault of 2004 (both driven by Alonso). Interesting that the slowest car on the grid today is comparable to one of the faster cars back in 2004!
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

And that was China, a lot more interesting than Melbourne, quite a lot of overtakes. Also a very nice drive from Verstappen, after being eliminated in Q1 of qualification, managed to end up on the podium, he deserved the Driver of the Day.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

My driver of the day for sure was Carlos Sainz. Gambling to start on dry tyres, didn't pay off, but still fought his way to earn the title "Best of the rest". Honorable mentions to Max Verstappen and Kevin Magnussen.

I also love that Mercedes and Ferrari are so close together. Today was definitely a Mercedes day, but we still haven't got a clue who will take the honors 7 days from now in Bahrain. It's too close to call.
My Scenarios:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/04/12/a ... polis-500/

what.

What??

WHAT?!?!?

Fernando Alonso is skipping the Monaco Grand Prix in order to compete in the Indy 500. Yes. This is not April 1st, is it? It must be. Isn't it? Huh?
My Scenarios:
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Wow. Flashback some 60 years when drivers did that sort of thing?

But, well, why not? It's not like he's competing for the title. Might as well do something interesting to keep morale up ^^
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I believe this may well be a way for McLaren to persuade him to stay. If he can go do these things, he may stay at McLaren in 2018. If that's what it takes, they are willing.

Having a driver skip a Grand Prix (and Monaco at that!) for racing in another series is practically unheard of in modern F1.
My Scenarios:
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Button will be replacing Alonso in Monaco, which is not entirely unexpected as he is the third driver for the team at the moment.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

So Massa has come back full-time, Button part-time, when will Rosberg be coaxed into racing a GP for someone? ^^
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I can only assume we will have Rosberg back on the grid with Hakkinen and Hill by 2018.
My Scenarios:
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Well, they could start a Formel S/eniors ...

Race it in old-style cars, too. That'd be fun.
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Pyoro wrote:Well, they could start a Formel S/eniors ...

Maybe make them race in the car they won the World Championship in? That would be pretty awesome
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I'm pretty sure there was an attempt at a Grand Prix Legends style thing a couple years back, although now that I Google about I can't find info on it. But yeah, it was basically a series for former F1 drivers driving GT cars like the Ferrari 458 Italia and similar cars. It folded before the first race, because there was absolutely no backing.
My Scenarios:
Dave

Post by Dave »

Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Pilot wrote:
Pyoro wrote:Well, they could start a Formel S/eniors ...

Maybe make them race in the car they won the World Championship in? That would be pretty awesome
Would make things also pretty unbalanced, as the differences over the years are huge.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

There we go. Cheers!

---

Oh what a race we were treated to in Bahrain tonight. Great stuff. I love how respectful Hamilton is of both Vettel and Bottas. He really appears as though he'd prefer to be P2 behind Vettel than P1 over Rosberg. He is enjoying these battles, although this race wasn't his greatest.

Without the SC, Ferrari would surely have won. With the SC, Hamilton had a shot and messed it up. He would have exited behind Ricciardo no matter what, so trying to slow him down did him no good. Ferrari were lucky that Bottas had a slow stop. Great stuff from Vettel to keep Bottas behind on restart. Honorable mention to Perez for reaching P7 from a lowly 18th on the grid.
My Scenarios:
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Yes, good race. And encouraging that nothing too extraordinary was going on and it still was interesting for quite some time. Good job changing the rules, hopefully nobody will manage to create a huge advantage over the other through the season. Could be really good.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Not exactly the most spectalur race ever, although the (mostly strategical) battle between Bottas and Vettel was interesting. Unfortunately, that was pretty much the only interesting thing about this weekeend.

Well, that and Sauber committing suicide by joining the Honda minority. ^^
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Pyoro wrote:Not exactly the most spectalur race ever, although the (mostly strategical) battle between Bottas and Vettel was interesting. Unfortunately, that was pretty much the only interesting thing about this weekeend.

Well, that and Sauber committing suicide by joining the Honda minority. ^^
It was indeed pretty forgetable, even Australia had more excitement. After the first race lap basically all excitement was gone, only the strategic battle was a little bit interesting.

And indeed, Sauber is going full suicidal with joining Honda, maybe they should have asked Alonso for his opinion on those engines, as he did not even start today and not even having finished this season...
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well, Honda is being assisted by Mercedes now. Their engine should be on par by the end of this year. Who knows what they might find for 2018?

Sochi is a useless excuse for an F1 race. Conversations with Putin before the podium is just wrong. Dictators do not belong in the F1 circus. Ecclestone felt that they did, I feel that they don't. Get him out, leave Sochi.

Great battle at the end, Vettel pushing like a mad dog and Bottas only just hanging in there. Well deserved first victory for the Finn. The Finnish national anthem has been a long time coming.
My Scenarios:

Return to “Off-Topic”