The Formula One Topic

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: The Formula One Topic

Post by Pyoro »

Is this about Ticktum's insinuations? Guy is a sore loser; nothing special's happening. Schumacher found his stride and Ticktum couldn't beat his teammates and then got involved in a stupid crash (twice even I think) throwing away points.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Giovinazzi is announced as the second driver for Sauber next season, relegating Ericsson to a third driver seat. Now, I'll let you read this piece on Ericsson's career because I like it and I'll miss him. :P
https://wtf1.com/post/why-well-miss-mar ... next-year/

EDIT: With Haas confirming an intact lineup for 2019 (only them and Mercedes keeping both drivers!), here's the current grid:

Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport:
44. Lewis Hamilton (link)
77. Valtteri Bottas (link)

Scuderia Ferrari:
5. Sebastian Vettel (link)
16. Charles Leclerc (link)

Aston Martin Red Bull Racing Honda:
10. Pierre Gasly (link)
33. Max Verstappen (link)

Renault Sport Formula One Team:
3. Daniel Ricciardo (link)
27. Nico Hulkenberg (link)

Haas F1 Team:
8. Romain Grosjean (link)
20. Kevin Magnussen (link)

McLaren F1 Team:
55. Carlos Sainz (link)
?. Lando Norris (link)

Racing Point Force India F1 Team:
11. Sergio Perez (link)
18. Lance Stroll (link)
31. Esteban Ocon (link)
?. Nicholas Latifi (link)

Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda:
25. Jean-Eric Vergne (link)
26. Daniil Kvyat (link)
94. Pascal Wehrlein (link)
?. Alexander Albon (link)
?. Dan Ticktum (link)
?. Mick Schumacher (link)
?. Robert Kubica (link)
?. Sebastien Buemi (link)
31. Esteban Ocon (link)

Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team:
7. Kimi Raikkonen (link)
?. Antonio Giovinazzi (link)

Williams Martini Racing:
18. Lance Stroll (link)
35. Sergey Sirotkin (link)
?. Artem Markelov (link)
?. Nikita Mazepin (link)
?. Oliver Rowland (link)
?. Robert Kubica (link)
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Here's some more that came up for Williams: George Russell, which surprised many, as he isn't a rich Russian. Or Artem Markelov, which wasn't so surprising, as he is a rich Russian. However, he's apparently not "compatible" with Sirotkin (or rather, their respective backers don't like each other, somehow).

Ticktum and Schumacher can't end up in Toro Rosso since they don't have the super license points. Or it's incredibly unlikely anyway.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Schumacher will almost certainly have the required points, he'll win the F3 championship and get the points required. Ticktum won't.

Markelov is already linked in that article, Russell isn't because I probably haven't found a reasonable source :)
My Scenarios:
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Mh, I stand corrected then ;) Let's see what'll actually happen. TR is still the team with the most speculation about. Picking up someone straight from F3 seems pretty crazy, so I doubt it'll happen. But, who knows. ^^;

(also, Hockenheim will be interesting that weekend, DTM title decider and F3 title decider.)

e: aaand Kvyat is confirmed:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/toro ... y/3185386/
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Pyoro wrote:Picking up someone straight from F3 seems pretty crazy, so I doubt it'll happen. But, who knows. ^^;
Lance Stroll and Max Verstappen went straight from F3 to F1. Ocon went from GP3, via a mediocre half season in DTM, into F1. Sure, F2 has seen Vandoorne, Gasly, Leclerc, and Giovinazzi recently. Norris, too.

I think Schumacher will likely join a manufacturer's junior crew and F2 with them for 2019. Mercedes, Ferrari or Red Bull. One of these 3 will likely sponsor him in F2.
My Scenarios:
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

Vettel's move on Max, "a desperate move from a desperate man".
I think Vettel's given up on this year. Ferrari defenatly have, not telling Kimi to let him past.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

It was a desperate move, but it was also the right move. The Japanese GP was the time to be desperate because he was far behind the guy he had to beat. Right call, just didn't work.

Regroup for 2019, but I feel Mercedes will be even stronger next year.
My Scenarios:
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

The first part of spoon was not the right place for that move, there's not enough deceleration to make it "safe", especially against Max who doesn't give an inch. The Ferrari is a much faster car in a straight line than the RB, he should've slipstreamed down the straight and either got him before 130R or into the chicane. Much safer.

Max did seem to be driving a Ferrari magnet though. His tangle with Kimi was a bit clumsy.

Quote of the race has to go the Charles Leclerc: "Kevin is and always will be stupid, it's a fact!" Brilliant!

Any thoughts on the Vestappen/Ocon incident in Brazil?
Ocon was well within his rights to try to unlap himself. There was no need for Max to race him, he should've just let him go. As Lewis told him after the race "you had more to lose". Max is still young and has a lot to learn. Although i think he'll be a big threat next year.
Last edited by Chrill on 14 Nov 2018 08:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged your posts
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Max was aggressive in defence, and he lost the race himself for sure. Still, Ocon had no reason to attack aggressively on the leader. You are allowed to unlap yourself, but you're not allowed to be in the way of a car in front of you. Ocon should have backed out when Verstappen was next to him. Then again, Verstappen should care more about winning than about battling Ocon and should have let the Force India pass into turn 1 already. With blue flags, Ocon would most likely have fallen behind Verstappen in a lap or two anyway.

In the end, a leader and a backmarker collided. 10/10 times the fault will lie at the backmarker simply because he has to give the leader the right of way as it were.
My Scenarios:
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

If that had been a battle for position I'd have blamed Max. Didn't give enough space on the inside. You gotta leave a car width there.

As it stands, I think what Ocon did was a bit stupid, but to be fair, he was on fresh tires, and of course he didn't want to waste time behind Max. If the tires had gone a few laps, the Red Bull would be faster again, probably, so then Max would have to re-lap Ocon, probably, and it's also understandable that he wanted to avoid that.

Overall kinda stupid accident but personally I felt it was pretty much a racing incident. I wouldn't have given anyone a punishment.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Pyoro wrote:If that had been a battle for position I'd have blamed Max. Didn't give enough space on the inside. You gotta leave a car width there.

As it stands, I think what Ocon did was a bit stupid, but to be fair, he was on fresh tires, and of course he didn't want to waste time behind Max. If the tires had gone a few laps, the Red Bull would be faster again, probably, so then Max would have to re-lap Ocon, probably, and it's also understandable that he wanted to avoid that.

Overall kinda stupid accident but personally I felt it was pretty much a racing incident. I wouldn't have given anyone a punishment.
Off-topic, but congratulations on making the 3450th post in this discussion!
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Horrible crash in the Macau F3 race today, Sophia Floersch somehow flying over the guardrail and smacking right into a photographer's stand next to the track. Reports say 5 injuries, among them Floersch herself and another driver, as well as two photographers and one marshal. No reports on any deaths.

Here's a video, if you feel like it. It's not a nice crash:
https://streamable.com/iau1e

Floersch made contact and damaged her car before the Lisboa bend, and she came backwards with no braking power before launching off the kerb.
My Scenarios:
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Holy crap! :shock:
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

She is awake and talking, even posted a message to her Twitter account. She'll be in surgery tomorrow, suspected spinal fracture. She did however walk to the ambulance after the crash. The photographers and marshals injured also suffered relatively minor injuries considering the scale of this crash. A miracle that this did not cost a life. I hope Floersch will be able to return to racing, if only to prove for herself this crash isn't the end of a career.

https://twitter.com/SophiaFloersch/stat ... 6194485248
My Scenarios:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

https://www.motorsport.com/f3/news/floe ... h/4300277/

A seven-hour operation on her back was conducted on Monday, with doctors saying in a press conference afterwards that her vital signs are stable and limbs are active. She will remain in hospital for up to two weeks.

"Limbs are active", whatever that means. I interpret that as though she can wiggle fingers and toes, implying she is not paralyzed.

It was also confirmed that TOMS driver Sho Tsuboi had been discharged from hospital on Sunday night, while injured photographer Hiroyuki Minami has also been released.

Chinese photographer Chan Weng Wang, who has a lacerated liver, is expected to remain in hospital for another 10 days.

Race marshal Chan Cha suffered cuts and a broken jaw but should be released in three to four days.
My Scenarios:
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

Just goes to show how good the cars are at protecting the drivers. It's probably more dangerous to watch!
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Diesel Power wrote:It's probably more dangerous to watch!
Or getting there.

Though then again the spectators is on par to pedestrians on the side of an extremely high speed motorway of sorts.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

The Kubica will return!! In 2019, 9 years since his last race (Abu Dhabi 2010), Kubica will be back on the grid for Williams F1. Oh boy. I mean, he steers 80% with his left hand since he can't grip the wheel tightly, but we'll see how that affects him. Will races like 2 hours of Singapore be a bigger challenge for him than the others? Will extremely twisty circuits like Monaco prove a difficulty? Williams have chosen to sign him, so clearly he must be fit enough.

Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport:
44. Lewis Hamilton (link)
77. Valtteri Bottas (link)

Scuderia Ferrari:
5. Sebastian Vettel (link)
16. Charles Leclerc (link)

Aston Martin Red Bull Racing Honda:
10. Pierre Gasly (link)
33. Max Verstappen (link)

Renault Sport Formula One Team:
3. Daniel Ricciardo (link)
27. Nico Hulkenberg (link)

Rich Energy Haas F1 Team:
8. Romain Grosjean (link)
20. Kevin Magnussen (link)

McLaren F1 Team:
55. Carlos Sainz (link)
?. Lando Norris (link)

Racing Point Force India F1 Team:
11. Sergio Perez (link)
18. Lance Stroll (link)
31. Esteban Ocon (link)
?. Nicholas Latifi (link)

Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda:
26. Daniil Kvyat (link)
28. Brendon Hartley (link)
?. Alexander Albon (link)
?. Dan Ticktum (link)

Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team:
7. Kimi Raikkonen (link)
?. Antonio Giovinazzi (link)

Williams Martini Racing:
63. George Russell (link)
?. Robert Kubica (link)
My Scenarios:
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

All that complaining about pay drivers, but look at the line up for next season. Good quality overall, all the way down the order. :)

Return to “Off-Topic”