The Formula One Topic

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Dave

Post by Dave »

Yeah that was awesome! And Jeremy Clarkson drove a Jaguar round there in 9:59 - his challenge was to do it in 10:00.

And then that really nice girl who, like, knows all of the Nurburgring did it in 9:24, and she said she could do 9:59 in a van...

But obviously she only did 10:15.

But even so... it was great, and she's a NIIIIIIIIIIIICE girl.

Back to Formula 1...

Bring back Estoril, I loved that corner at the top of the circuit.

Dave
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

ChrillDeVille wrote:Mercedes Transporting
That's an interesting spelling of "Ford Transit" ;)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Well, same thing :P

Anyway, it was cool.
Back on-topic ;)

Who is your favourite for winning the whole F1 seires 2006?
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

ChrillDeVille wrote:Who is your favourite for winning the whole F1 seires 2006?
I hope Christijan Albers wins because he's Dutch, but that is never going to happen so I'll chose Kimi Raikkonen because he had such bad luck last season.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Yeah.. I think it´ll be between Kimi and Schumacher, I don´t think Alonso will compete for winning this year TBH.
But if McLaren can keep their car in one piece, then Kimi has every chance of winning.
My Scenarios:
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

ChrillDeVille wrote:But if McLaren can keep their car in one piece, then Kimi has every chance of winning.
Kimi would defenately have won last year if he didn't had al that bad luck.
I don't think Michael stands a change against Kimi and Alonso, he sure is a good driver but Ferrari doesn't makes good F1 cars anymore.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Dave

Post by Dave »

It's wide open this year... Which is great.

It seemed that coming into the start of the season no one had a clue what would happen, and McLaren, Ferrari, Honda, and obviously Renault... well... it's gonna be an awesome season.

Flickr

Hobgoblin
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hobgoblin »

Dave Worley wrote:Yeah that was awesome! And Jeremy Clarkson drove a Jaguar round there in 9:59 - his challenge was to do it in 10:00.

And then that really nice girl who, like, knows all of the Nurburgring did it in 9:24, and she said she could do 9:59 in a van...

But obviously she only did 10:15.

But even so... it was great, and she's a NIIIIIIIIIIIICE girl.
that "nice girl was Sabine Schmitt (spelling may be slightly wrong)
she has done over 15,000 laps of the ring more than anyone else ever
she is totally awesome she overtook me and a friend in his Peugeot 205 Sabine was driving a Ferrari and driving it fast :D
her time in the van was 10:08btg if i remember right

it was my 3rd lap before i maneged less than 10 minuets and i drive a civic type-r (although for the record my 6th lap i did 9:15 btg :D )
ChrillDeVille wrote:The Real big Nurburgring is just too big for this Formula 2, you would have to have multiple pit-lanes on the track
the problem isn't pit lanes its how long it takes to get medical teams to an accident on a track this big the Nordschleife (North loop) is 13 miles long (20.9km) plus the 2 miles (approx) of the grand prix track so 15 miles of track it would take too long to get an injured driver to hospital much of the track has overhanging trees so even helicopters can't always help

The proof of this came in the 70s when Nikki lauder had a really nasty accident and had all his face burned (scars you can see to this day) it took far too long to get to him and that, among other accidents led to F1 no longer using the ring

would be cool to see modern F1 cars on the ring but to be honest modern cars rely on downforce more than the 70s cars did and the nurburg would constantly upset the delicate balance required so accidents would be inevitable and they would be nasty :?

shame its an amazing track am going back there 30 June to 5th July to drive round it again sub 9 Min's is my target this time :D

back to F1 proper i really want to see more overtaking with out that its not interesting to watch
As i am sure you all know modern cars disrupt the airflow so that cars following can't get too close on corners and therefore cant get close enough to slipstream on the straights

seeing as how the regulations are constantly being changed i wonder is there any way they can change the regulations so that this is prevented
it probably isn't possible but without overtaking F1 is a high speed procession

i used to be a huge fan of F1 in the Mansell, Senna Prost days when overtaking was common as was nose to tail racing but unfortunately modern technical prowess has stopped this F1 has effectively outsmarted itself

i only hope that just as they overcame other problems they find a way to use the messed up air so close racing becomes a part of F1 once more

(wow that was a long post :oops: sorry)
english trucker intrests transport games and driving cars...............i must be mad

LIFE the game................Because you have to play
Dave

Post by Dave »

hobgoblin wrote:seeing as how the regulations are constantly being changed i wonder is there any way they can change the regulations so that this is prevented
If I remember, that was one of Ecclestone's plans for the future. Him and Mosley are gonna try change all that. I personally hate both of them.
hobgoblin wrote:The proof of this came in the 70s when Nikki lauder had a really nasty accident and had all his face burned (scars you can see to this day) it took far too long to get to him and that, among other accidents led to F1 no longer using the ring
I have to say, that seeing him now, and seeing the crash - he is lucky to be alive. It was the worst thing I'd ever seen - and I'd only seen it on the box and in photos. Still - he's a cantankerous old b******, as all old Formula One Drivers are. Still a leg-end tho.

Dave

EDIT: Just to confirm... "the box" = television (for all those peeps who were madly confused.)

Flickr

Chrill

Post by Chrill »

A pretty nice race in Malaysia, even though I only watched the last 10 laps.

Giancarlo Fisichella won. Fernando Alonso came second.

Top 8:
1. Giancarlo Fisichella, Renault
2. Fernando Alonso, Renault
3. Jenson Button, Honda
4. Juan Pablo Montoya, McLaren
5. Felipe Massa, Ferrari
6. Michael Schumacher, Ferrari
7. Jacques Villeneuve, Sauber-BMW
8. Ralf Schumacher, Toyota

The Driver Championship Top 5:
1. Fernando Alonso, 18p
2. Michael Schumacher 11p
2. Jenson Button, 11 p
4. Giancarlo Fisichella, 10p
5. Juan Pablo Montoya, 9p
My Scenarios:
Dave

Post by Dave »

ChrillDeVille wrote:A pretty nice race in Malaysia

It would have been a whole lot prettier if it didn't exist. You only seeing the last ten laps saved you.

There was very little going on during, it was back to the old pit-stops will decide routine.

Still, Nice to see Massa get on over on Schumacher.

Roll on Australia and it'll be another of my early starts out the way. Hopefully Melbourne will be better.

In all honesty Sepang was a bit crap.

DON'T BOTHER WATCHING THE RE-RUN. If you wonder why it took me four hours to tell you that - within 4 minutes of the end of the race i was asleep again. Until now. Make that 7 hours sleep this weekend.

I love having a long-distance relationship, it sends your body clock off the scale....

Anyhow, DON'T WATCH MALAYSIA!

Dave

Flickr

XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I'm going to watch the race in 20 minutes, the live race was at 8:00 this morning so I was still sleeping. I hope the race is any good (my opinion can be different Dave Worley :P).
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Woohoo, double post :P

I've seen the race, it was a bit boring. There were A LOT of engine breakdowns, I think this race will fire up the engine-replace-rule-discussion that has been going on even more.
Christijan Albers did finish the race this time, last time he didn't even get 1 meter away from his start position :(
Hobgoblin
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hobgoblin »

Dave Worley wrote:
hobgoblin wrote:seeing as how the regulations are constantly being changed i wonder is there any way they can change the regulations so that this is prevented
If I remember, that was one of Ecclestone's plans for the future. Him and Mosley are gonna try change all that. I personally hate both of them.
ecclestone doesn't come across as a nice bloke does he :lol:
but i hope they succede i would love to go back to watching F1 but at the moment its just boring i always tell people don't judge motorsport by F1 look at all the 1 make championships touring cars and hundreds of other really competitive racing out there F1 must get better

wanna see a real race

Last few laps of monaco 1992 Mansell is leading but has a puncture goes into pits comes out over 10 seconds behind senna (the new leader) on fresh tires he catches senna and for those last few laps hounds senna determined to re-take first place i watched this live i was on the edge of my seat (literally) willing mansell to do it to somehow squeeze by

these are the last 3 or 4 laps
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... rton+senna

just checked the link ended up watching it again you just dont see nose to tail racing like this :shock: all over again :lol:

check out the other vids on the site :wink: :D

EDIT senna and mansell again
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... rton+senna
english trucker intrests transport games and driving cars...............i must be mad

LIFE the game................Because you have to play
Dave

Post by Dave »

XeryusTC wrote:I've seen the race, it was a bit boring.
Someone agrees... :P

Hobgoblin some awesome footage there. I remember seeing that 92 footage somewhere before, but it's always great to watch again. Just by looking at it you can see how different it was back then.

Dave

Flickr

XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Today's race was great, to bad that I missed the start (I was 2 laps late :(). But there were a lot of restarts because all the crashes.
Christijan Albers did great today, he finished 11th while he started as 17th, that is a great achievement, but there were a lot of drivers that crashed, like Montoya and Michael that both crashed at the SAME point.

Results:
1 Fernando Alonso - Renault
2 Kimi Räikkönen - McLaren-Mercedes
3 Ralf Schumacher - Toyota
4 Nick Heidfeld - Sauber-BMW
5 Giancarlo Fisichella - Renault
6 Jacques Villeneuve - Sauber-BMW
7 Rubens Barrichello - Honda
8 Scott Speed - STR-Cosworth
9 David Coulthard - RBR-Ferrari
10 Jenson Button - Honda
11 Christijan Albers - MF1-Toyota
12 Takuma Sato Super - Aguri-Honda
13 Yuji Ide Super - Aguri-Honda
Ret Juan Pablo Montoya - McLaren-Mercedes
Ret Tiago Monteiro - MF1-Toyota
Ret Vitantonio Liuzzi - STR-Cosworth
Ret Michael Schumacher - Ferrari
Ret Mark Webber - Williams-Cosworth
Ret Christian Klien - RBR-Ferrari
Ret Jarno Trulli - Toyota
Ret Nico Rosberg - Williams-Cosworth
Ret Felipe Massa - Ferrari
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I don´t really like the fact that both Ferrari´s crashed. but I didn´t watch the race, since I´ve been away this weekend
My Scenarios:
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

I saw today on TV one engine started burning ~200 meters before finish, on the last lap. That driver could have been fifth, but he stopped ~30 meters before finish. How unlucky... Unfortunatelly I don't remember much details...

Do you recall who was he, by chance?
Dave

Post by Dave »

He deliberately stopped, because he could have come fifth, but then he would have to change his engine (obviously) so he'd get a ten place penalty.

Apparently his race engineer fancies Jenson's chances at Imola more than three points here.

I don't agree... but there you go. Great race.

Flickr

DJC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJC »

Great race, full of incidents. I'm gutted for Button, he started on pole, the fell back to 5th only to have his engine give up on him meters from the line. Its clear that he is good enough to win a race but that Honda is not IMO.

I couldn't help but laugh when Michael walked into the Toyota garage instead of the Ferrari one :lol:
Things I've made for Locomotion:
Scenarios: East Anglia | Trans Oceanic | Scotland | Narrow Gauge Nuts
Locomotives: (REL) BR 0-6-0 J94 | (REL) UK Steam Pack

My Flickr

Return to “Off-Topic”