The Formula One Topic

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Chrill

Re: The Formula One Topic

Post by Chrill »

Rosenqvist? Well, he's also competing in Super Formula. Matching Gasly quite well, too. Gasly sits on 33 points, Rosenqvist on 28.5 points. A victory for Rosenqvist while Gasly finishes third is enough for Rosenqvist to overhaul him in that final race of the season.

Also, unhappy with Malaysia. Ferrari hasn't been this dominant in a weekend for a LONG TIME, but they still end up P4 and DNS. s***.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

And that is exit for Palmer, he will drive his last race tomorrow, and will be replaced by Sainz from that moment...
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

With Toro Rosso confirming Hartley/Gasly for 2018, the only vacancies on-grid are at Sauber (2 seats) and Williams (technically two seats although Stroll is very likely to hold one).

Also, Friday giggle:

Plus the Drivers list for 2018 so far.

Bold = Confirmed
Italics = Rumoured/Speculated

Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport:
44. Lewis Hamilton (link)
77. Valtteri Bottas (link)

Scuderia Ferrari:
5. Sebastian Vettel (link)
7. Kimi Raikkonen (link)

Aston Martin Red Bull Racing:
3. Daniel Ricciardo (link)
33. Max Verstappen (link)

Force India F1 Team:
11. Sergio Perez (link)
31. Esteban Ocon (link)

Williams Martini Racing:
9. Marcus Ericsson (link)
18. Lance Stroll (link)
26. Daniil Kvyat (link)
30. Jolyon Palmer (link)
94. Pascal Wehrlein (link)
?. Luca Ghiotto (link)
?. Robert Kubica (link)
?. Paul di Resta (link)

Scuderia Toro Rosso: (Honda)
10. Pierre Gasly (link)
28. Brendon Hartley (link)

Renault Sport Formula One Team:
27. Nico Hulkenberg (link)
55. Carlos Sainz Jr. (link)

Haas F1 Team:
8. Romain Grosjean (link)
20. Kevin Magnussen (link)

McLaren Formula 1 Team: (Renault)
2. Stoffel Vandoorne (link)
14. Fernando Alonso (link)

Sauber F1 Team:
?. Charles Leclerc (link)
?. Antonio Giovinazzi (link)
?. Robert Kubica (link)
My Scenarios:
Pilot
General Forums Moderator
General Forums Moderator

Post by Pilot »

Chrill wrote:With Toro Rosso confirming Hartley/Gasly for 2018
I think that was probably the best thing for them, Gasly appears to be rather decent (especially if his Super Formula performances are anything to go by), whilst Hartley obviously has a decent history in the WEC. I was rather surprised when Hartley was given the drive for a longer term, at 27, he's got to have been one of the oldest race debutants for quite some time.

However, they did really need rid of Kvyat...
Chrill wrote:the only vacancies on-grid are at Sauber (2 seats) and Williams (technically two seats although Stroll is very likely to hold one)
Well, if either of them are desperate, I'm up for a challenge... I'll only take a small amount of pay to do it as well! :lol:
NoMorePacers
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by NoMorePacers »

Alternatively either could bring back Pastor Maldonado for the lolz.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Pirelli has announced two new tyre compounds for 2018, the hyper soft and super hard. Super hard... Guys, this can definitely be said on TV next year:

Alonso has already done over 50 laps with the super hard on, can he keep it up all the way to the finish?
My Scenarios:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Am I nerdy? Yes I am. Did I compile a list of statistics after rating every driver in every race this season? Yes I did. Did I have my mate rate them too, so that we could then compile these statistics and reach an absolute rating over 2017? Yes we did.

A summary:

Our actual rating is this, awarded in F1 championship points style:

25: Sebastian Vettel, 7.915
18: Daniel Ricciardo, 7.734
15: Fernando Alonso, 7.708
12: Lewis Hamilton, 7.536
10: Max Verstappen, 7.502
8: Nico Hülkenberg, 7.487
6: Esteban Ocon, 7.322
4: Sergio Perez, 7.205
2: Felipe Massa, 7.194
1: Valtteri Bottas, 6.979
----
Outside of the top, here's the rest of this list:
11: Carlos Sainz, Jr., 6.732
12: Kimi Räikkönen, 6.724
13: Marcus Ericsson, 6.493
14: Pascal Wehrlein, 6.298
15: Romain Grosjean, 6.076
16: Stoffel Vandoorne, 5.918
17: Lance Stroll, 5.849
18: Kevin Magnussen, 5.846
19: Daniil Kvyat, 5.302
20: Jolyon Palmer , 4.786

* The driver with most 10-pointers is Lewis Hamilton, thrice by my mate (China, Britain, Belgium) and four times by me (China, Britain, Belgium, Singapore).
* The driver beaten the most thoroughly by their team mate is Palmer according to both him and I. In my eyes, Hulkenberg averaged 2.538 better than Palmer. He claims the Hulk beat Palmer by 2.857.
* The drivers most evenly matched according to him is Ericsson and Wehrlein. On average, Ericsson bettered Wehrlein by 0.188. Gasly outperformed Hartley by 0.050 but this is based on just 3 races together. I claim that the most even pairing was Perez and Ocon, where Ocon outperformed Perez by a meagre 0.012 points over the course of the season. In comparison, he feels that Ocon scored 0.221 better than Perez.
* The lowest rated driver to secure a 10-pointer was Lance Stroll, who scored 10 by me in Azerbaijan (he awarded him 9). The lowest rated driver with a double-10 was Romain Grosjean, awarded by us both in Austria.
Attachments
MF1 Driver Ratings 2017 - Comparison.pdf
(63.12 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
My Scenarios:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Kubica is not getting the drive for Williams after all. The team confirmed mediocre Russian driver Sirotkin, and his wallet, to partner Stroll, and his wallet, for 2018. Williams will therefore run with one of the most inexperienced teams on the grid. Only Toro Rosso will field drivers with less F1 experience, but they at least have GP2 champions and WEC world champions in their lineup..

Here's the complete grid for 2018:

Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport:
44. Lewis Hamilton (link)
77. Valtteri Bottas (link)

Scuderia Ferrari:
5. Sebastian Vettel (link)
7. Kimi Raikkonen (link)

Aston Martin Red Bull Racing: (link)
3. Daniel Ricciardo (link)
33. Max Verstappen (link)

Sahara Force India F1 Team:
11. Sergio Perez (link)
31. Esteban Ocon (link)

Williams Martini Racing:
18. Lance Stroll (link)
?. Sergey Sirotkin (link)

Scuderia Toro Rosso: (Honda)
10. Pierre Gasly (link)
28. Brendon Hartley (link)

Renault Sport Formula One Team:
27. Nico Hulkenberg (link)
55. Carlos Sainz Jr. (link)

Haas F1 Team:
8. Romain Grosjean (link)
20. Kevin Magnussen (link)

McLaren Formula 1 Team: (Renault)
2. Stoffel Vandoorne (link)
14. Fernando Alonso (link)

Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team: (link)
16. Charles Leclerc (link)
My Scenarios:
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Aston Martin Red Bull with a Renault engine ... is odd. Well, TAG engines, which is kinda still part owner of McLaren, also? Of course, these days Aston Martins use Mercedes AMG engines, so maybe that all somehow makes sense. :mrgreen:
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Pyoro wrote:Aston Martin Red Bull with a Renault engine ... is odd. Well, TAG engines, which is kinda still part owner of McLaren, also? Of course, these days Aston Martins use Mercedes AMG engines, so maybe that all somehow makes sense. :mrgreen:
So what you're saying is McLaren, Mercedes, Renault, and Aston Martin are all one and the same engine manufacturer? :lol:
My Scenarios:
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Well, it's all vaguely incestuous ;)
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Chrill wrote:Kubica is not getting the drive for Williams after all. The team confirmed mediocre Russian driver Sirotkin, and his wallet, to partner Stroll, and his wallet, for 2018. Williams will therefore run with one of the most inexperienced teams on the grid. Only Toro Rosso will field drivers with less F1 experience, but they at least have GP2 champions and WEC world champions in their lineup..
It's a shame that Williams is going for the money, although if Sirotkin did perform better during the tests, it is understandable that he got the seat over Kubica.

Maybe the forum fundraiser for next year can take a bit more ambitious goal, get a forum member into Formula 1. Seats apparently go for about 15 million, so if all members put in 30 euros we can have our very own Formula 1 driver.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I would support that idea in a heartbeat, assuming I'm the one we nominate. Surely some of us can chip in a few million on our own, we must have some CEOs amongst our midst? :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

I'll only donate if I get to go to the races for free

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

WE ARE BACK!!

Race summary:
[+] Spoiler
An extremely boring race turned exciting by the Safety Car. Everyone knows Hamilton was faster today, but Vettel won this race thanks to luck and some decent defensive driving. He wasn't even the best Ferrari this weekend.

All in all, this season is already over. Lewis Hamilton is a definite 2018 world champion, but the joy I find is that the Saubers are faster than pre-season implied. Starting 17th, Ericsson made places in the start before a hydraulics issue forced him to retire. Even then, rookie Leclerc managed to finish ahead of a Toro Rosso and the Williams of Stroll. So that's nice.
JOIN OUR RATING SPREADSHEET STATISTICS NERDY THING:
Google Spreadsheet of F1 Ratings 2018

Post your ratings here should you wish to join. I rarely go below 3 and I only occasionally hand out 10/10s. I choose not to vote when a driver retires too early for me to rate their performance. Today, for example, these are my ratings:

My driver ratings this race
[+] Spoiler
Mercedes:
Lewis Hamilton - 8/10 (Crazy fast on Saturday, definitely fastest today, still didn't win. Should have built a bigger gap to the Ferraris in the first stint if he wanted a higher rating)
Valtteri Bottas - 5/10 (That just wasn't good eh? Sure, P15 is a crappy place to start but he was in P12 before the safety car (plus the double Haas retirements) put him into the points. Kinda bad)

Ferrari:
Sebastian Vettel - 8/10 (He wasn't the best Ferrari driver today, but he kept his cool when handed a magnificent stroke of luck)
Kimi Raikkonen - 9/10 (He was the best Ferrari driver today, and also yesterday. Kept Ricci at bay and finished real close to Hamilton in the end. Nice stuff, he's back to form this year we can hope)

Red Bull:
Daniel Ricciardo - 8/10 (Considering that starting position, he made the most of it. Close to a podium. Strong)
Max Verstappen - 4/10 (Pushed too hard, made silly rookie mistakes. Like I've said before, Max may be stronger than Ricciardo at his best, but Max's worst is definitely far worse than Ricciardo's. This showed it)

Force India:
Sergio Perez - 7/10 (With only 15 finishers, not scoring points is not good enough for Force India. Still, beat his team mate so there's that)
Esteban Ocon - 6/10 (Like above, but finished behind so rated a little lower. They stick together and are evenly matched just like in 2017)

Williams:
Lance Stroll - 4/10 (Quite poor. I mean, the only driver he beat was Hartley who had an abysmal race. He even lost out to rookie Leclerc in a supposedly slower car)
Sergey Sirotkin - X/10

Renault:
Carlos Sainz Jr - 7/10 (Was feeling sick but still bagged one point. Strong of him to pull through and bring it home in the top ten)
Nico Hulkenberg - 8/10 (Battled for long periods of time without making any silly mistakes. Unlike others further up the grid. Solid if a bit unspectacular)

Toro Rosso:
Pierre Gasly - X/10 (The McHonda is now a ToroHonda but it acts just like the old one)
Brendon Hartley - 3/10 (Where was he even? Missed the start and destroyed his tyres and simply got out of synch. Poor start to his first full season)

Haas:
Romain Grosjean - 7/10 (That was pretty good. Then God knows what happened in the pits for Haas. Real unlucky)
Kevin Magnussen - 8/10 (That was even better. Then God knows.. yeah, same as above. Haas will be exciting to watch this season)

McLaren:
Fernando Alonso - 9/10 (P5 is solid. Best of the rest. Can't remember when he last finished in the top 5. Great racing today)
Stoffel Vandoorne - 7/10 (Not quite as spectacular as his double world champion team mate but pretty solid still)

Sauber:
Marcus Ericsson - X/10 (Damn.)
Charles Leclerc - 8/10 (Hey hey my my. Beat a Toro Rosso and a Williams in his debut race. Not bad, not bad at all. As a rookie, one-lap pace is easy to find but the knowledge of how to best manage the car during a race is difficult. Leclerc is looking strong)
My Scenarios:
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

What a great race! Plenty of overtaking, esp. in the beginning, and super-tense finale. Thought that Bottas would easily get past Vettel once he caught up, but the Ferrari had the advantage in the right places.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Amazing race, Bahrain usually does deliver.

Gasly in P4, and then quoting Alonso who abandoned Honda: "Now we can fight". Best radio message of 2018, no point in continuing the fight for that.

Ericsson in P9, started at P17. What a race. I rarely get to say that about my fellow Swede, but this time I could.

Here are, like last race, my ratings for this race:
[+] Spoiler
Mercedes:
Lewis Hamilton - 8/10 (Poor qualifying but made up for it with some proper racing. Was not on course for podium had it not been for Raikkonen + Red Bulls, but you have to grab the opportunity and he did. Nice race)
Valtteri Bottas - 7/10 (With those extremely worn softs on Vettel, the Bottman should have made it happen. We should have seen him win here)

Ferrari:
Sebastian Vettel - 9/10 (You're not supposed to drive on the same set of softs for more than half the race. So, uhm, yeah, that was impressive)
Kimi Raikkonen - 8/10 (Looked almost as strong as Vettel, shame about the end of his race with the injured mechanic. One point less due to simply being behind his team mate)

Red Bull:
Daniel Ricciardo - X/10 (Retired way too soon)
Max Verstappen - 3/10 (Caused his own puncture before retiring. Poor and overly aggressive start. Yet another rookie mistake. Not cool, dude)

Force India:
Sergio Perez - 6/10 (Hard to be more invisible than this. I think he was in the race, right? He dropped down a bit too much and never challenged for points)
Esteban Ocon - 8/10 (He was rather invisible too, in that messy midfield, until a late jump on Sainz. Would rate 7 had it not been for that Sainz overtake)

Williams:
Lance Stroll - 4/10 (Really? I mean, sure that car is woeful but it's not like the driver is helping. At least beat his team mate)
Sergey Sirotkin - 3/10 (Defended much too hard against drivers he wasn't really racing with. Should have kept his cool, then he would have beat his mate Stroll)

Renault:
Carlos Sainz Jr - 5/10 (Not a strong race, and in the end finished outside the points. With his team mate high up, he should be there too)
Nico Hulkenberg - 8/10 (Rather impressive, but in the end couldn't challenge the Haas or Toro Rosso. Beat McLaren though, so that's nice. Beat his team mate proper too)

Toro Rosso:
Pierre Gasly - 10/10 (Wow. What else can we say? Best of the rest in a Honda. On a circuit where power is required. He drove brilliantly, didn't make a single mistake. Amazing)
Brendon Hartley - 6/10 (Older engine, older aero package. P13 wasn't great when compared to his team mate, but it wasn't all that bad either considering his car was not as good as Gasly's. Should have the aero updates for China, engine might have to wait since we can only use 3 per year)

Haas:
Romain Grosjean - 4/10 (Messy race, three pit stops, and the car just seemed to disintegrate. Qualified way too far behind his team mate)
Kevin Magnussen - 8/10 (Nice starting position converted into a nice finishing position. Well done, K-Mag)

McLaren:
Fernando Alonso - 8/10 (Considering where he started, P7 is really a nice result. Kept his cool, fought the right people at the right time)
Stoffel Vandoorne - 8/10 (As above, but right behind his team mate. Nice drive)

Sauber:
Marcus Ericsson - 10/10 (So happy to give him this score. P17 to P9. Really? Amazing start saw him up to P12. Red Bull retirements brought him swiftly into the points, and then he drove an absolutely massive second stint on mediums. Extremely well done, and first points since Italy 2015)
Charles Leclerc - 6/10 (Yes, he's a rookie. That showed. Qualifying was a mess, and the race was rather anonymous at times. Still beat a Haas and both Williams cars though)

Driver of the race? Gasly. Of course. Honorable mention to Ericsson and Vettel.
My Scenarios:
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

I think the Hamilton/Verstappen incident was just a racing incident, with noone to really blame for it. And with the benefit of hindsight, both could/should have done things differently. Hamilton should have accepted Verstappen was past him (and not call him something I will not repeat here), Verstappen should have waited a few corners.

But overall, it was a more enjoyable race than Melbourne, I hope we will have many races like this one this season (although I do hope we don't have any more injured mechanics and see the Red Bulls finish up high to fight Ferrari and Mercedes).
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

Yeah, I also don't think Verstappen truly made an error here. It probably was his only chance to get past a Merc - and as a race driver you've got to take these chances. I mean, the same people who criticize him later then moan about Bottas not being aggressive enough, despite him not really having any chance as the Ferrari was just too quick in the right places (particularly the back straight) and he had run out of time. ^^;
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

We all know I'm not a Hamilton fan but that was Verstappen's fault all the way. He could easily have tucked his car in behind Alonso, but nooo he had to push Hamilton wide to safeguard his position. Hamilton wasn't having any of it and had every right to stay on the outside. Verstappen was clumsy and aggressive. A rookie error, to me. A penalty? Nah, race incident is fair. Still, it was avoidable and Verstappen caused it.

Whatevs, the race was brilliant even without the mad Dutchman.
My Scenarios:

Return to “Off-Topic”