Quick question

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

IamI3rian
Engineer
Engineer

Quick question

Post by IamI3rian »

Ok, so I followed all the directions Here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19184 and managed to upgrade to the version of the patch I was looking for (all the cool new trains and stations etc,) but I have a question which about an hour of sorting through forums couldn't answer.

The train set which was included in that thread gave me new passenger trains (etc.. probably other stuff) but they were labeled local and regional. Aside from the stats (cost, weight etc...) there doesn't seem to be a difference that I can discern.

Does one or the other do something I'm not aware of, or will they both work fine? Is the difference between them JUST the stats, or is there something more sinister waiting to crumble my burgeoning transport empire? I've been using local, since that seems to have the least chance of messing up anything.

P.S. I've been lurking here for more than 2 years, and this was the reason I decided to sign up. Well, this and Raichase's screenshot thread. I hope to take a pic or two he'd be proud to have called his own. :)

At least once I get this sorted out.

Thanks a bunch,
I3rian.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Quick question

Post by FooBar »

Since custom cargo ageing isn't implemented in TTDPatch, both passenger carriages will behave identical. So apart from the different properties you see in the purchase menu, it doesn't matter which one you choose.
IamI3rian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by IamI3rian »

FooBar wrote:Since custom cargo ageing isn't implemented in TTDPatch, both passenger carriages will behave identical. So apart from the different properties you see in the purchase menu, it doesn't matter which one you choose.
Thank you sir, you made me happy AND answered my question. :D
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

IamI3rian wrote: [...] The train set which was included in that thread gave me new passenger trains (etc.. probably other stuff) but they were labeled local and regional. Aside from the stats (cost, weight etc...) there doesn't seem to be a difference that I can discern.

Does one or the other do something I'm not aware of, or will they both work fine? Is the difference between them JUST the stats, or is there something more sinister waiting to crumble my burgeoning transport empire? I've been using local, since that seems to have the least chance of messing up anything.
Apparently, the train set included in that graphics "package" is the DB Set XL which provides local and long-distance coaches. Both have different behaviour w/r to loading capacity and loading time (except from other technical stats). So, for local and commuter lines, using the local ones should be envisaged because of their shorter loading time, but for long distances, the long-distance coaches should be chosen due to their larger capacity. Please note that using long-distance coaches on short routes makes no sense due to their long loading time.

Unfortunately, the uploader did remove all the "do-not-readme" files from the original graphics packages, so this (and many more) information had been lost, to the disadvantage of the user. Because this is also a breach of copyright provisions, I have asked to remove that package now.

Thanks for pointing it out.

regards
Michael
IamI3rian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by IamI3rian »

No problem. = )

I'm having another issue, if you (or someone else) would be so kind as to help me out.

See, I've decided to go ahead and try out the Path-Based Signaling. I'm getting the graphic indicating that it's working (the darkened track which is "reserved" by the train) but I'm not certain it's working.

One of the things that attracted me to this, was the fact that you could better utilize road vehicle crossing, as they "count" as one of the signals (and go down, preventing my train from smashing my bus). Of course, the much nicer looking station set ups and junctions are also nice.

Anyway, I can't seem to get any of this to work, and I've got (I think) a decent understanding of what the signals do and how they work.

I've tried reading various tutorials still around, I've been to Owen's site and checked out some station designs, read the TTDpatch manual (and anything else I could find) and the only conclusion I can reach is that they're "off". Oh, and Raichase's screenshots + early game guide as well. Perhaps it's an issue with my signal graphics? All my signals appear the same.

Code: Select all

[ttdxconfig]
roadvehs=240
ships=240
trains=240
planes=240
rvqueueing=1
mammothtrains=1
trainrefit=1
nonstop=1
mountains=3320
curves=3320
loadtime=1
fullloadany=1
selectgoods=1
presignals=1
multihead=1
enginespersist=1
keepsmallairport=1
moreairports=1
planecrashcontrol=48
spread=100
largestations=1
longbridges=1
extradynamite=1
officefood=1
mousewheel.cursorzoom on 
bribe=1
signcheats=1
showspeed=1
noinflation=0
morevehicles=4
servint=32000
autorenew=-15
Forceautorenew=1
debtmax=1
feederservice=1
lowmemory=0
verbose=1
generalfixes=1
diskmenu=1
forcerebuildovl=1
win2k=1
Buildoncoasts=1
Showfulldate=1
gotodepot=1
sharedorders on
buildonslopes=1
newcargodistribution on
newgrfcfg newgrfw.cfg
morebuildoptions=31
fastwagonsell=1
planespeed=1
towngrowthratemode=2
eternalgame=1
moretownstats=1
morehotkeys=1
startyear=1950
subsidiaries=1
signcheats=1
cheatscost=1
experimentalfeatures=9
newagerating=1
enhancegui=14
manualconvert=1
towngrowthlimit=50
largertowns=1
newships=1
newtrains=1
newplanes=1
newrvs=1
gradualloading=1
moveerrorpopup=1
plantmanytrees=3
electrifiedrailway=1
Bridgespeedlimits=1
Signal1waittime=255
Signal2waittime=255
morenews=1
Signalsontrafficside=1
saveoptionaldata=1
errorpopuptime=3
townminpopulationsnow=200
townminpopulationdesert=200
miscmods=1024
disasters=237
tracktypecostdiff=1
unifiedmaglev=1
spread=255
autoslope=on
buildwhilepaused on
custombridgeheads on
enhanceddifficultysettings on
enhancegui on
enhancetunnels on
fifoloading on
higherbridges on
irregularstations on
newagerating on
newbridges on
newhouses on
newstations on
autorenew -6
autoreplace 80
autoslope on
canals on
followvehicle on
forceautorenew on
showprofitinlist on
trams on
newcargos on
newindustries on
morebuildoptions.enhancedbuoys on
pathbasedsignalling 120
followvehicle on
windowsnap on
tempsnowline on
onewayroads on
morestatistics on
newspapercolour on 1950
sortvehlist on 30
morewindows on
There's my patchcfg file, with pathbasedsignalling 120 being relevant I think? = (

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated, and I can post anything else which may seem relevant. Even pointing me to a place (or an article) I may go to or read would be fantastic. I suppose it could just as easily be user error. = /

Anyway, thanks a lot.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

IamI3rian wrote: I'm having another issue [...]
For custom station and special signal graphics you´d need appropriate newGRFs. PBS signals are included in ttdpbase.grf, and new stations are included in some of the station sets (see grfcrawler).

W/r to PBS signalling, I´m using

experimentalfeatures.signalgui on

pathbasedsignalling.autoconvertpresig on
pathbasedsignalling.manualpbssig on
pathbasedsignalling.preservemanualpresig on
pathbasedsignalling.showreservedpath on
HTH
regards
Michael
IamI3rian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by IamI3rian »

No signal.gui... is that perhaps an Alpha thing?

Anyway, it's gonna sound REALLY silly, but I wasn't doing it right. I had one way signals -> one way signals.... I read that about a hundred times. = (

Gotta have one way - > two way right? In order for it to change over to path based?

Anyway, all my signals change automatically, and I can't seem to cycle through them with ctrl even though I'm "supposed to" (according to my settings, I believe).

Either way, automatic is fine with me. I really need to read all that whole path based stuff again. It doesn't seem that twice is enough. = /

Anyway, I'm STILL loving this game, and the new trains the DB set brought. Super tough with increased costs, and running costs to make any kind of profit. = )

Thank you sir, for your speedy reply. I really appreciate it. Been playing for the last 6 (or so) hours, and only when you told me those settings did I start another testing game. It was there that I figured this out, since you had me convinced it should be working. As I said, user error is certainly possible.

Once again, I thank you. :bow:
IamI3rian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by IamI3rian »

So... been doing some more reading, and it turns out that you are Michael Blunck, creator of the DB set, unless I'm missing something.

Anyway, I'm very interested in creating "realistic" rail lines, and using the set the way it was intended (I think). Meaning, utilizing the engines and cars in the combinations they were actually used in.

I used to really like this game. Now, I love it. I'm not a train lover like many of you seem to be, but rather I enjoy the challenge of the increased costs, specific engines (passenger v. cargo), realistic tracks, even the cool looking station graphics which came with that set I dl'd. In short, I love the game.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for all your hard work. I plan on checking out a few other train sets (US in particular) but the DB set really took this game to a whole new level for me. Maybe, when I get the hang of this realistic set up, I can post a few cool screenshots.

Anyway, the patch was fantastic, but still there was something missing. I think this particular set of trains closed the gap. Thank you sir. You made a great game even better.

P.S. I love some of your other grfs too, but DB in particular is a game changer. Can't thank you enough for it.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

IamI3rian wrote: No signal.gui... is that perhaps an Alpha thing?
Yes, that´s only avalaible in the 2.6 alphas (-> http://nightly.ttdpatch.net/latest/), and require an extra entry in ttdpatch.cfg:

experimentalfeatures.signalgui on
IamI3rian wrote: Anyway, it's gonna sound REALLY silly, but I wasn't doing it right. I had one way signals -> one way signals.... I read that about a hundred times. = (
Gotta have one way - > two way right? In order for it to change over to path based?
There´s some documentation about PBS (path-based signalling) to be found here:

http://www.ttdpatch.de/grfspecs/PatchMa ... lling.html

And there´s a nice signalling tutorial by Uwe to be found here:

http://uwe.s2000.ws/ttdx/
http://uwe.s2000.at/ttdx/signal/pbs.php ... ilter=ttdp (path-based signalling)
IamI3rian wrote: Anyway, all my signals change automatically, and I can't seem to cycle through them with ctrl even though I'm "supposed to" (according to my settings, I believe).
Please, see there.
IamI3rian wrote: [...] P.S. I love some of your other grfs too, but DB in particular is a game changer. Can't thank you enough for it.
Thanks for your interest and your polite words. 8)

regards
Michael

Return to “General TTDPatch”