Just out of curiosity - Do you play TTDP?

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Ailure
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Just out of curiosity - Do you play TTDP?

Post by Ailure »

I really hadn't played TTDPatch since uh, version 0.3.x or something of OpenTTD. It was much easier to configure and just "felt" better, then features like bigger maps made me stick around (256x256 feels so tiny now). There were plenty of times where I was tempted to try out TTDPatch again due to that OpenTTD was lagging behind GRF implementation wise back then. Those temptations stopped around 0.6.0 though where major killer features (for me) of the newGRF specification was finally implemented into OpenTTD. Now it's beginning to be the other way around with TTDPatch support (understandably) dropped amongst some NewGRF authors. To be honest the only features from TTDPatch I miss seeing in openTTD is the custom bridgeheads and "build track above tunnel entrances", both are being made up for the bigger mapsizes in OpenTTD anyway.

I almost miss the TTDPatch vs OpenTTD arguments. It really seems like that most TTDPatch users eventually just made the jump to over OpenTTD even some of the more outspoken supporters.

I'd love to see a final "proper" release of TTDPatch.
koalorka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by koalorka »

I played TTDPatch when it was the only modifiable option to vanilla TTD. I do remember some features that I still prefer over those currently implemented in OpenTTD and I remember several industry and rolling stock .grfs that worked extraordinarily well and were very realistic, like trains hauling off cars and tractors from factories supplied by steel mills etc. The final goods were tailored to the raw materials. Nowadays I use FIRS through OpenTTD but it is quirky and not very profitable...
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

What stops you using those NewGRFs which you played with earlier? It usually should work.
koalorka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by koalorka »

planetmaker wrote:What stops you using those NewGRFs which you played with earlier? It usually should work.
I forgot which ones I used.. LOL.

I believe it was ECS. Is that still compatible?
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

koalorka wrote: [...] I believe it was ECS. Is that still compatible?
Yes, it is. TTDPatch -> OTTD, that is.

regards
Michael
Dave

Post by Dave »

These were the days. I used to find a lot of problems in OTTD in the earlier versions but by version 0.5 there was too much that wasn't in the Patch and not enough in the Patch that wasn't in OTTD that I started to switch, took a year or so but by 0.6 and certainly 0.7 I'd stopped updating my version of TTDP on a nightly basis and to be honest I never even downloaded it for this machine, which I got in January 2010.

So grateful that it was in my life because it wiled away some of the hard times and kept me interested in gaming and the web when I might have drifted away, but just like everything, times change, and some things drift away.

It was great though. No, in fact, it was bloody brilliant.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

I started using OTTD when it got new industries and PBS. The PBS system was more "intelligent" than the Patch version and whilst I missed (and still do) Enhanced Tunnels and Custom Bridge Heads they weren't enough to go back. Solid OTTD since.

Return to “General TTDPatch”