New TTDPatch bug tracker, repository browser

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

New TTDPatch bug tracker, repository browser

Post by orudge »

Hello all,

As part of the migration of the old wiki into the new TT Wiki, I've moved the TTDPatch bug tracker over to a new project management system. You can find the new TTDPatch project here. All the existing bugs, comments and statuses should have been moved over - if you notice any problems, please let me know. The only thing that is missing at the moment are the existing attachments, which are a bit of a pain to move automatically. I hope to upload those manually shortly. TTDPatch developers should have user accounts created on the new site, although you may need to use the "forgotten password" option to log in. Please let me know if you have any trouble. Other users will have to register new accounts if they wish to contribute. Currently, this is not linked to the forum user system.

The new site also lets you browse the SVN repository, and generally offers a much more useful view of project activity than the previous combination of Tiki and Trac. The aim eventually will also be to move the physical SVN repository to the tt-forums server (along with the repositories for Transport Empire, GRFMaker, and anything else I host).

In other news, you may notice that the old wiki is currently inaccessible - it was being spammed an awful lot (primarily in the bug tracker) over the past few days, causing huge load issues and generally being problematic. Indeed, I removed some 12,000 or so spam comments from the bug tracker before I converted it! If things settle down, I'll try to re-enable access, although the intention will be to shut down the old site permanently quite soon. (I'll still keep an archive of it in case anything has gone missing from the new site!)

I have been doing quite a bit of work this weekend tidying up the new wiki. Every page of old the TTDPatch wiki should now be at least "acceptable" quality, and I'm working on improving navigation, etc, between those pages. (For instance, I've started work on improving the TTDPatch manual). Feel free to chip in if you can!

Anyway, if you have any questions, or problems with the new site, please let me know.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: New TTDPatch bug tracker, repository browser

Post by wallyweb »

orudge wrote:All the existing bugs, comments and statuses should have been moved over - if you notice any problems, please let me know.
I just visited this new link for a look-see. With a few exceptions, I have to seriously question the validity of most of these bugs. I just don't see them in my games. Add to this the absence of developers willing to take the time to confirm these observations, perhaps now would be a good time to clear the slate. If any issues should prove sufficiently pervasive so as return and rear its ugly head, it could be reintroduced at that time as a "new" bug keeping in mind that a history remains in the archives. This would certainly save Mr. Rudge a bit of time and effort and contribute significantly to his overall annual performance review. :mrgreen:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well, the work to convert the bugs has already been done, so I'm not going to delete them after that. ;)
frosch
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by frosch »

Only developers can decide whether a bug report is invalid, has been fixed or won't be fixed.
E.g. OpenTTD documents "won't fix" bugs in a separate file known-bugs.txt, while all the OSX specific bugs stay open. (They have a special category, so you can easily filter them to see the interesting stuff.)

Sorry, just emptying the list to make it look pretty is silly :) Also, if a list is empty it will scare reporters to add something.
⢇⡸⢸⠢⡇⡇⢎⡁⢎⡱⢸⡱⢸⣭⠀⢸⢜⢸⢸⣀⢸⣀⢸⣭⢸⡱⠀⢰⠭⡆⣫⠰⣉⢸⢸⠀⢰⠭⡆⡯⡆⢹⠁⠀⢐⠰⡁
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

frosch wrote:Only developers can decide whether a bug report is invalid, has been fixed or won't be fixed.
I agree but there are no developers currently volunteering to take this on. One has to ask why ...
1. Are they bored with TTDPatch?
2. Are they busy with real life?
3. Are they of the mind that the current crop of bug reports really aren't that valid?
4. Are they of the mind that TTDPatch is sufficiently stable to be not worth the time?
5. Are they thinking that if nobody else is addressing the issues, why should they?
5. Are there any other reasons to explain their absence?
E.g. OpenTTD documents "won't fix" bugs in a separate file known-bugs.txt, while all the OSX specific bugs stay open. (They have a special category, so you can easily filter them to see the interesting stuff.)
Could TTDPatch borrow a couple of your developers to clean up our list?
Sorry, just emptying the list to make it look pretty is silly :)
... Unless it's just occupying space for visitors to look and wonder at.
Also, if a list is empty it will scare reporters to add something.
The list is not currently empty and nobody is adding anything. Perhaps it is scaring them from contemplating the use of TTDPatch.

There are several players currently using TTDPatch and by and large they seem to be quite happy with its functionality.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

I haven't been able to compile TTDPatch for a quite while, which has reduced my enthusiasm for looking over bugs and fixing them.
Also I forgot about the bug tracker quite a long time ago, to be honest.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Having randomly sampled a few of the listed bugs, so far they've all been either long since fixed, or not really valid.
A fair few bug reports have comments of the form "Fixed in rXXXX", and all those can be marked as closed, for a start.

I know that there are a number of (quite severe) issues with some of code that I wrote, that won't fix without serious effort on my part, but these are not amongst the listed bugs.

When I was an active developer, I never checked the bug tracker. All useful bug reports made there way to me via the forums or through the other developers.

As for why TTDP died, as OpenTTD matured and caught up, everyone switched to that, as it is currently far better (bar a handful of notable inadequacies) and far easier to develop.

Edit:
Bugs 189-191 are just spam too.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

I tested some time ago OTTD again, I don't see a reason why I should play it or work on it. So I moved on to Cities in Motion. Why TTDPatch died for myself? Because all stuff that can be done in realistic time are already done, anything else can't be done in realistic time, so I won't work on it. Together that my opinion and wishes are blindly ignored I don't even think I will reregister on the bug tracker. I don't even think the old system had an email address for my accounts... Getting to know that kind of important stuff only on the forum is for a project odd as well...
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

eis_os wrote:I don't even think the old system had an email address for my accounts...
All TTDPatch developers listed as being developers on the old site have an account on the new site, including you. I can send you the details if desired.
eis_os wrote:Getting to know that kind of important stuff only on the forum is for a project odd as well...
Well, once I finalise the appropriate redirects, etc, with Josef, then I may send out e-mails to the TTDPatch mailing list too. Although, the main list has not had a single message since 2009, and the Developers list hasn't had anything since 2007...

Anyway, from my point of view, this was basically a case of either set up the new wiki and bug tracker with vaguely modern software that I can keep easily maintained (everything's installed from Debian repositories now), or eventually just have to shut down the old sites due to security holes and suchlike in old software that's a pain to maintain. I'm sure we'd all agree that at least having something that's modern and working is better than having nothing at all - and, if we're lucky, some people may find it useful in the future!
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

So, I just tried to update the newgrf specs pursuant to this, and I can't log in. Is it a case of I-don't-have-permission, or a case of my-password-breaks-mediawiki (low ASCII symbols are present)?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I get the feeling it may be the latter, I'm afraid. There shouldn't be any issues with permissions. At the moment, all that I could suggest is that you change your password, I guess. I can try to look into it further though.

Return to “General TTDPatch”