[TTDX Configurator news topic]

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Dave

Post by Dave »

DaleStan wrote:Any idea why there in there ... ?
And thus we find a flaw in a great man.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Andrex wrote:Note that allowing this version to update itselft will return it to current 2.8.5 version. The next public version will be 2.8.7.
It doesn't update back to 2.8.5 for me.
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

DaleStan wrote: I went to test TTDXC 2.8.6 -- I put it in my TTD folder, and ran it, and it quite helpfully said "Unable to create switches.xml info file. TTDXC will download the info file for TTDPatch 2.0 rev 1 now."

I'm not quite sure what it's smoking there, because it didn't even *try* to start ttdpatchw.exe (I know this because my firewall allerts me when unknown programs try to start other programs.) Had it done so, TTDPatch would have done as TTDXC requested, and generated a proper XML file. (This was verified by running ttdpatchw -!S- from a command line.)

If I manually generate switches.xml, TTDXC deletes it and then reports that switches.xml couldn't be generated, as above.

The ttdpatchw.exe in my folder, as reported by -!T-, is "TTDPatch V2.6 alpha 0 r1141mod (Windows)".

The same basic problem is exhibited with my local 2.5 build. (version "TTDPatch V2.5 beta 8 r1135mod (Windows)")
That's related to a version detection problem. You didn't mention how does TTDXC detect your TTDP version at all, that would be helpful.

If TTDXC does not create the XML, it's because the TTDP exe filesize corresponds to an old version without XML, and therefore it will download the one for 2.0 rev 1 for backwards compatibility. Now, I recently changed the function that retrieves file sizes with one native VB function, it seems that wasn't a good idea.

Here I attach a new TTDXC 2.8.6 version which uses the system's GetFileSize API to query file size. Also, the existant switches.xml won't be deleted it TTDXC cannot run the version detection, so switches will be created using the local XML even if version detection fails.
Wile E. Coyote wrote:It doesn't update back to 2.8.5 for me.
Oh.
That's all I can say based on the extensive info your provided. I won't start with the correct bug report speech, but you could at least mention what the heck happened when you received the new version notification after Live Update.
Last edited by Andrex on 29 Oct 2006 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Andrex wrote:If TTDXC does not create the XML, it's because the TTDP exe filesize corresponds to an old version without XML,
Oh. Then using GetFileSize won't work either; my local builds are all in the 300KB range (+/- 15KB, depending on DOS vs Win and how much version information is included), because I've configured the build process to compile the minimum of language data.

There's probably an API somewhere for reading the PE header; checking that would be substantially more reliable than checking size for the Windows version, but it would be useless for the DOS version.
For both versions, it should be possible to read the attachments and use that information:
1) If a lOADcODE attachment appears, this is a recent version, generate the XML
2) Otherwise, read the pROTcODE attachment and use the protcode size to determine whether or not to generate the XML.
Procedure: Read the dword immediately following the pROTcODE tag (in 2.0r1 DOS, that's 252 (dec) at offset 0x285C3), add four, skip that many bytes (counting from the end of the just-read dword), and read the following dword (in 2.0r1 DOS, that's 65579 (dec) at offset 0x286C7. In 2.0r1 Win, those values are 404 at 0x281C3 and 67535 at 0x2835F.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

What about starting TTDPACH with the v+ switch? And fall back to the file size variant if v+ doesn't produce the expected response?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Actually, I would think -!T+ would be more interesting.

I expect these are of interest: Clean builds of trunk, except with my changes to omit the non-English strings. (Using lang/english.exe to generate language.dat, instead of makelang.exe)
Attachments
ttdpatch.rar
(531.16 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

AndersI wrote:What about starting TTDPACH with the v+ switch? And fall back to the file size variant if v+ doesn't produce the expected response?
DaleStan wrote:Actually, I would think -!T+ would be more interesting.
On versions which don't support them this would cause TTDPatch to start up normally (waiting for a key and/or going directly to TTD), which is probably not an acceptable behaviour.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

That's why I used the file size trick. Using the PE header is very complex with VB, but I could add an option to force the creation of the XML for cases like that.
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Andrex wrote:
Wile E. Coyote wrote:It doesn't update back to 2.8.5 for me.
Oh.
That's all I can say based on the extensive info your provided. I won't start with the correct bug report speech, but you could at least mention what the heck happened when you received the new version notification after Live Update.
Sorry.
I downloaded and installed TTDXC 2.8.6. I ran Live update, it ran correct checking all servers, and it didn't reported me there is new version available. If I understood you correct, it should report there is new TTDXC version available: 2.8.5?
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
YOYO
Engineer
Engineer

Post by YOYO »

Update to version 2.8.5 lets my virusscan stop the proces.
He finds a trojanhorse malware in one of the files and breaks the installation.

Is the file infected or do i have to cirkel around my scanner?
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

Whatever version other than 2.8.5 should update to this one, because it's the one on the server. And my updated Kaspersky AV never complained on it, so it's virus-free guaranteed.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

AVG also agrees that the 2.8.5 is clean.
YOYO
Engineer
Engineer

Post by YOYO »

Ok thx good to hear. :D
Gonna do it by going round my virus scan.
Dr_Quin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dr_Quin »

AVG have no problem with configurator 2.8.6., too.
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

TTDXC 2.8.7 has been released. The changelog is here as usual. For bug reports, please provide as much info as you can, including TTDP version, operating system, local weather, and so on.
Dr_Quin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dr_Quin »

I found very small bug in 2.8.7 version, i saw this bug first in version 2.8.6
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

that isnt a problem with ttdxc, its a problem with the patch/ttdpbase.grf
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
JohalaReewi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JohalaReewi »

I have an interesting problem with TTDXC 2.8.7. I have just downloaded the latest file from the TTDXC webstie and installed on a new computer (no previous TTDXC was installed). When TTDXC is running, all the screen text is english but when I mouse over the settings, the info text in the status window is spanish. If I change the TTDXC language (say to french), I get french text but the status bar info text is still spanish? Also, when I click on an option which has a popup window (like plant more trees) the popup options are in spanish.
Attachments
English and Spanish !!
English and Spanish !!
screen2.JPG (66.41 KiB) Viewed 17304 times
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

The language of the switches and their descriptions is what TTDPatch determines to be your system language, since they're the output of TTDPatch.

Unless TTDXC instructs TTDPatch to write them in a different language; I don't know if it does that.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
Andrex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Andrex »

Patchman wrote:The language of the switches and their descriptions is what TTDPatch determines to be your system language, since they're the output of TTDPatch.
That does not apply for his version, TTDPatch 2.0 rev 1, because it doesn't have XML data.

Since TTDXC requires an XML mandatorily to work, I provided an XML with 2.0 rev 1 switches to use with versions without XML support. But I didn't notice that I was using the spanish file.

I have just uploaded the file in english. Go to your windows\temp\ttdxc folder and delete 20rev1.xml. Start TTDXC and it will retrieve the new XML in english.

Return to “General TTDPatch”