TTD Patch is Dead- Long Live OpenTTD?

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

MegaStationMan
Engineer
Engineer

TTD Patch is Dead- Long Live OpenTTD?

Post by MegaStationMan »

So, ive been playing the patch for over 8 years. It has been a long an happy time, but have now moved over to openTTD. Do people here think it would be better to have any developers still around on the patch putting efforts into openTTD to bring in the final features missing from openTTD (programmable signals, routing restrictions, custom bridgheads and build on tunnels?)

I had a long a happy time playing the patch, but its been 3 weeks since the last post here and over a week since the last nightly (shouldnt that be weekly/fortnightly now?). Are the last hangers on just treating it as a hobby project for their own personal satisfaction?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: TTD Patch is Dead- Long Live OpenTTD?

Post by planetmaker »

MegaStationMan wrote:Are the (...) (people) just treating it as a hobby project for their own personal satisfaction?
Same is true for OpenTTD.

Besides http://svn.ttdpatch.net/trac/timeline?f ... ate=Update gives me changes just today and like beginning of September. Further anyone willing to give any of those things you mention a decent glitch-free trial in OpenTTD is welcome to do so. But that has been the case before, too. Signals and Route markers might both not be the solution to the problem they try to solve though: different trains going different directions under <whatever> condition; that might need more thorough consideration and thoughts.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

MegaStationMan wrote:shouldnt that be weekly/fortnightly now?
No, OpenTTD compile farm can't handle that. Yes, OpenTTD's compile farm builds TTDPatch's nightlies as well.

Even then there are plenty of reasons why some TTDPatch developers won't touch OpenTTD and there is no need to trash TTDPatch either. It still works and actually some OpenTTD devs are occasionally writing bits of code for TTDPatch likewise that OpenTTD has features written by TTDPatch developers. TTDPatch could use a new (beta) release though.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

MegaStationMan wrote:So, ive been playing the patch for over 8 years. It has been a long an happy time, but have now moved over to openTTD. Do people here think it would be better to have any developers still around on the patch putting efforts into openTTD to bring in the final features missing from openTTD (programmable signals, routing restrictions, custom bridgheads and build on tunnels?)

I had a long a happy time playing the patch, but its been 3 weeks since the last post here and over a week since the last nightly (shouldnt that be weekly/fortnightly now?). Are the last hangers on just treating it as a hobby project for their own personal satisfaction?
This was answered lots of times. TTDPatch is a interesting game, if You don't like it, don't use it.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

maquinista wrote:
MegaStationMan wrote:So, ive been playing the patch for over 8 years. It has been a long an happy time, but have now moved over to openTTD. Do people here think it would be better to have any developers still around on the patch putting efforts into openTTD to bring in the final features missing from openTTD (programmable signals, routing restrictions, custom bridgheads and build on tunnels?)

This was answered lots of times. TTDPatch is a interesting game, if You don't like it, don't use it.
And in some people's opinion is the closest thing to true TTD you are going to get on any platform that doesn't natively support TTD.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Rubidium wrote:... actually some OpenTTD devs are occasionally writing bits of code for TTDPatch likewise that OpenTTD has features written by TTDPatch developers.
The man speaks from experience, his most recent effort being bringing newobjects into OpenTTD and contributing some features that Lakie has, in turn, dev'd into TTDPatch. A most admirable colaberation, indeed. :mrgreen:

P.S. How about custom bridgeheads for OpenTTD? 8) I'll be hiding behind orudge if that's an axe you are swinging. :lol:
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

MegaStationMan wrote:Are the last hangers on just treating it as a hobby project for their own personal satisfaction?
It's always been like that :P

As for the remaining TTDP features not yet in OTTD, most of them are in some form or another implemented as a patch.

I for one am not currently inclined to code anything for TTDP, and working out the internals of OTTD is for me not currently worth the relatively small amount of gain and large amount of time required. I have other things which are taking up my time...
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github

Return to “General TTDPatch”