TTD Multiplayer?

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Benneh
Engineer
Engineer

TTD Multiplayer?

Post by Benneh »

Can someone explain this multiplayer business, and why my game crashes when I try to play multiplayer?
Super HQ! :D
I wish mine was like this. :(
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: TTD Multiplayer?

Post by Benny »

-advertise gone-
Last edited by Benny on 18 May 2009 05:56, edited 1 time in total.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Benneh wrote:Can someone explain this multiplayer business, and why my game crashes when I try to play multiplayer?
Without knowing your environment, I can only make some suggestions.
My reply is limited to my personal experience and others may have something to add.
Multiplayer under TTDPatch is limited to two players.
Network stability is an issue and it is best played over a p2p home network with a DCC connection rather than the internet.
Ideally both computers should be identical, but I have had it working with one box = Win98/200Mhz and the other = Win2k/1.5Mhz
Absolutely the TTDPatch version and configuration file as well as the newgrf selection and configuration file must be identical on both computers.

I'll edit this post if I think of something else.
Other than that, without knowing how you are trying to network the two players, there is not much else we can do.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

It should be noted that some features of TTDPatch are not multiplayer safe and will cause a desync.
If I remember correctly me and JGR tried to reduce the number of functions which would do this.

Another thing to check is that you aren't using the new net code (as I believe that was never finished).

Bennythen00b: Just saying download OpenTTD isn't all that helpful, how'd you like it if I just told you to use Linux when you have issues with Windows?

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Lakie wrote:It should be noted that some features of TTDPatch are not multiplayer safe and will cause a desync.
If you can determine which features cause desyncs, (excepting the new landscape generator, which everyone (except its author) knows is broken) please report them, along with reproduction instructions.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser

Return to “General TTDPatch”