Where to start

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

kdalts
Engineer
Engineer

Where to start

Post by kdalts »

Firstly, let me say how brilliant it was to stumble across this site. I played TTDX way back when it was 1st released - I still have the original disk but can't install it :evil:

Anyway, to my questions -
  • Which is the latest version I need to download please? I see 'openTTd' - is this the same thing?
    Where can I download it?
    Will it run on Vista?
    What patches should I install
many thanks in advance
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Where to start

Post by FooBar »

TTDPatch and OpenTTD are two different projects. They are both sequels to the original game. Between the two there are quite a few similarities, but also quite a few differences. Whatever one should consider as 'best' is up to personal taste.

For both games, there are 'stable' versions and 'nightly' versions. The stable versions are considered to be without problems, but the nightly versions usually contain extra features. In both cases I'd recommend the nightly versions. They're usually as stable as the 'stable' releases but without the nightlies you'd miss out on the extra features.

You can get the latest TTDPatch here: http://nightly.ttdpatch.net/latest Also don't forget to get the graphics here.
And OpenTTD: http://nightly.openttd.org/

Both run on vista.

And you don't need to install any patches. Just make sure to read the manual!
TTDPatch: http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/
OpenTTD: http://wiki.openttd.org/
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

I think that OpenTTD is better for beginners, but if you had TT or TTD, TTDPatch may be better. Especially if you like that "back to the old days" - feeling. :)
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

The best advice is to try out both and find which one best suits you.
They aren't technically sequels but expansions to the original gameplay.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

kdalts wrote: I still have the original disk but can't install it
First a disclaimer ... I have not installed OpenTTD so I can't address any questions there.
For TDDPatch ... it is just that, a patch. It requires that the basic game be installed first. The first part of your question implies that you can't install the basic game on Vista ... Is this the case? If so, what problems are you running in to? Are there any error messages?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

If it's just a matter of "The installer won't run", copy everything off the CD to some convenient directory somewhere, and "install" TTDPatch (2.5 beta 9 or the nightlies -- 2.0r1 won't work for this) by copying it into that directory.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
kdalts
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kdalts »

Hey some great feedback guys... thanks very much

I loaded the openttd and dozens load loads of .grf files... some messed the game up a bit with really high running costs (like planes at 350k per year and some trains over 100k per yr). Other than that its great.

The reason I couldn't install from disk was that there was some display.dll file missing or something... can't remember exactly becaue I haven't bother to try again since openttd worked fine.

Once again thanks for the feedback

Cheers

Return to “General TTDPatch”