Why TTDP?

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Why TTDP?

Post by Benny »

I am just curious why (some of) you guys play TTDP instead of OpenTTD. (Or both.)
Is there any more functions in TTDP? Or is it because it feels more "rustic"? (Didnt find any better words..)
Last edited by Benny on 23 Nov 2008 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: Why TTDP?

Post by PikkaBird »

Bennythen00b wrote:Convince me! :)
No.

(in before lock ;) )
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Why OTTD?
Covince me! :)
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Each person is free to play one, the other, both or neither as they see fit.

It is not my place to decide which is "better", or to convince anyone of any opinion of mine thereof. If you really are uncertain, try both then decide, as what you may define as better is a function of personal perception, and not (I'm hoping) either a relative feature count or groupthink...
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
khamura
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by khamura »

I play both.

So there. :roll:
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Bennythen00b wrote:I am just curious why (some of) you guys play TTDP instead of OpenTTD. (Or both.)
Is there any more functions in TTDP? Or is it because it feels more "rustic"? (Didnt find any better words..)
Convince me! :)
It really is not a matter of convincing. TTDPatch was the first on the market and some of us oldtimers are still quite fond of it. i.e. Old habits die hard. OpenTTD came along and it is more platform friendly (e.g. Linux I think) and has larger maps and such, but then there are still some features unique to TTDPatch. Actually, it is rather amazing as to the amount of shared development that goes on between the TTDP and OTTD devs. All in all, they make for a very pleasurable playing experience with the choice of current playing style needs.
Convince you? How about Hooray for both? 8)
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

Seems like "convince" were the wrong word to use, but it's hard to explain in english..
But i did get the answer i wanted from wallyweb anyway. :)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Bennythen00b wrote:But i did get the answer i wanted from wallyweb anyway. :)
:bow:
:mrgreen:
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

So eis_os still wastes a lot time for features people want :D
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

eis_os wrote:So eis_os still wastes a lot time for features people want :D
Its not a waste. Some of us have cookies to send out. :mrgreen:
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

wallyweb wrote:Some of us have mustard to send out. :mrgreen:
Yeah! 8)

regards
Michael
Circeus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Circeus »

In my case it's sheer laziness. I can't be bothered to go through the (From my point of view) hassle of the compiling/patching process for every single feature I wish to use that is not in trunk. Sure, I miss some stuff (cf. diagonal under bridges, cargodest), but overall I'm very happy with my choice.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Circeus wrote: ... diagonal under bridges ...
Good news for you then ... It's in the Patch since the last few nightlies. :wink:
Circeus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Circeus »

Really? I only update my nightlie once every few weeks (AKA when I remember about it :oops:), so I tend to get nice surprises like that.
Nagyzee
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Nagyzee »

wallyweb wrote:
Circeus wrote: ... diagonal under bridges ...
Good news for you then ... It's in the Patch since the last few nightlies. :wink:
Since when? I just downloaded the latest nightly because of your comment and I don't seem to be able to build bridges over diagonal track with it. Do I need some setting changed?

(Also I checked the changelogs back till about r2050 and I didn't find any mention of this new feature.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Nagyzee wrote: [bridges]
Do I need some setting changed?
You´ll need

Code: Select all

advzfunctions on
And, in addition:

Code: Select all

higherbridges on
custombridgeheads on
manualconvert on
(Also I checked the changelogs back till about r2050 and I didn't find any mention of this new feature.
The feature may be even older. Try searching for "advzfunctions".

HTH
regards
Michael
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

http://svn.ttdpatch.net/trac/changeset/1944 is the main addition.
Revisions 1947, 1948, 1949, 1953, 1954, 1957, 1958, 1962, (1964) are bug fixes/additions to this feature.

The feature requires the advzfunctions switch to be on.

EDIT: It seems that Michael Blunk types faster than I.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Nagyzee
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Nagyzee »

Thanks to both of you. :)
I played with r2043 till now and with r1963 before, but I somehow missed this new feature when it was introduced. :(
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Nagyzee wrote: .. somehow missed this new feature when it was introduced. :(
A suggestion to all ... Read the changelog.txt file that is posted below the nightly zip. New features such as this are described therein when a new feature is added. Then , if possible, try to check for new nightlies on a daily basis so as not to miss anything exciting. :wink:
aahz77
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by aahz77 »

Nagyzee wrote: .. somehow missed this new feature when it was introduced. :(
Looks as though I missed that one too (have been inactive regarding TTDP for some time...), although it's one of my "most wanted" features ever! I didn't know of this although I'm reading all TTDP-related subforums except for the GRF section... Why hasn't this great new feature been communicated? At least a TTDPatch-Wiki page would be helpful, but I can't find a page describing this switch (does it add other features besides the diagonal tracks?).
wallyweb wrote:A suggestion to all ... Read the changelog.txt file that is posted below the nightly zip. New features such as this are described therein when a new feature is added. Then , if possible, try to check for new nightlies on a daily basis so as not to miss anything exciting. :wink:
It would be very inconvenient for me having to check for new nightly versions every day (I usually get the latest nightly before playing after having paused OR when a bug that's affecting my gameplay has been fixed). Could it be possible to have a "combined" changelog that lists all changes within a certain period, e.g. of the last 3, 6, or 12 months? In that case, I could update my knowledge from the point where I last updated the nightly.exe.

I had higherbridges, custombridgeheads, and manualconvert switched on before (as those switches are in the betas, too). So I first tried to build diagonal tracks under bridges without knowing that I have to switch advzfunctions on, too. With advzfunctions off, the feature behaves somewhat strange: I can build diagonal tracks under bridges only on tiles that already have a regular track under a bridge. But the trains won't use the diagonal part of the track, and when I delete the straight part via track removement tool, the diagonal part disappears as well (becoming visible again when I re-build the straight part).
One after one, by the star-dogged Moon,
Too quick for groan or sigh,
Each turned his face with a ghastly pang,
And cursed me with his eye.

-- Samuel T. Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Return to “General TTDPatch”