Why TTDP?

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Why TTDP?

Post by wallyweb »

aahz77 wrote: At least a TTDPatch-Wiki page would be helpful, but I can't find a page describing this switch (does it add other features besides the diagonal tracks?).
I agree ... As far as I can see it's not in the manual and a search on the wiki for advzfunctions comes up empty.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

aahz77 wrote:It would be very inconvenient for me having to check for new nightly versions every day (I usually get the latest nightly before playing after having paused OR when a bug that's affecting my gameplay has been fixed). Could it be possible to have a "combined" changelog that lists all changes within a certain period, e.g. of the last 3, 6, or 12 months? In that case, I could update my knowledge from the point where I last updated the nightly.exe.
Yes. "svn log -vr <date>:HEAD" should work. "svn help log" will tell you if I got it right.

Alternatively, you can request that TTDPatch re-write your ttdpatch.cfg, and look for lines announcing "New Switches" and "New Bits".
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

DaleStan wrote:Alternatively, you can request that TTDPatch re-write your ttdpatch.cfg, and look for lines announcing "New Switches" and "New Bits".
Wouldn't this also reset all the previous settings to default?
I use ttdpc v 1.2.0.0 which does preserve previous settings but it doesn't highlight new switches.
Maybe there is an opportunity here?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Not unless you include other switches before the -W or writecfg that would have that effect, or put them in the incorrect location.
"ttdpatchw -W ttdpatch.cfg -C ttdpatch.cfg" is probably not what you wanted. Putting a writecfg at the beginning of your config is also unlikely to be what you wanted.

TTDPatch starts up in this order:
1) Set all switches to their default values.
2) Scan the command line for one or more -C switches.
3) If zero found, read settings from ttdpatch.cfg, if present. (This includes the writecfg switch, which writes the status as of when it appeared, not as of end-of-file.)
4) Process the entire command line. If a -C was found, that file is opened and read (writecfg behaves as above) when its -C is encountered.

This arrangement guarantees that later switches always override earlier switches, and all switches override the implied ttdpatch.cfg.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

DaleStan wrote: ...
Ok ... I run ttdpatch from a Windows shortcut with the following target line:

Code: Select all

C:\MPS\TTWin95\ttdpatchw.exe -C C:\MPS\TTWin95\ttdpatch.cfg -Xn  C:\MPS\TTWin95\newgrf.cfg
I'm a command line challenged neophyte. The manual is a bit challenging on this. What do I add so as to highlight new switches?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

One-time, the easiest thing is to add (assuming "Start in" is set correctly for the shortcut)

writecfg ttdpatch.cfg
to the end of ttdpatch.cfg.

For repeated use, add "-W C:\MPS\TTWin95\ttdpatch.cfg " (without the quotes) to the end of the command line. Then open ttdpatch.cfg and search for comments containing "****".
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

"Start in" is set to "C:\MPS\TTWin95" for the shortcut (without the quotes :wink: ).
DaleStan wrote:For repeated use, add "-W C:\MPS\TTWin95\ttdpatch.cfg " (without the quotes) to the end of the command line. Then open ttdpatch.cfg and search for comments containing "****".
As in

C:\MPS\TTWin95\ttdpatchw.exe -C C:\MPS\TTWin95\ttdpatch.cfg -Xn  C:\MPS\TTWin95\newgrf.cfg -W C:\MPS\TTWin95\ttdpatch.cfg 
or

C:\MPS\TTWin95\ttdpatchw.exe -C C:\MPS\TTWin95\ttdpatch.cfg -Xn -W C:\MPS\TTWin95\ttdpatch.cfg  C:\MPS\TTWin95\newgrf.cfg
?
aahz77
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by aahz77 »

DaleStan wrote:
aahz77 wrote:Could it be possible to have a "combined" changelog that lists all changes within a certain period, e.g. of the last 3, 6, or 12 months?
Yes. "svn log -vr <date>:HEAD" should work. "svn help log" will tell you if I got it right.
Hmmm. Here at work, I can't connect to the Subversion server. Firewall settings or whatever.

svn: OPTIONS of 'http://svn.ttdpatch.net/trunk': could not connect to server (http://svn.ttdpatch.net)
Will try at home. But the syntax is correct if you're executing the command in the working copy directory (otherwise you have to add the repository path). <date> has the format {yyyy-mm-dd}. I think I will omit the "v"(erbose) option as I don't need to know all the files that have been m/a/d'ed in each rev.
DaleStan wrote:Alternatively, you can request that TTDPatch re-write your ttdpatch.cfg, and look for lines announcing "New Switches" and "New Bits".
This is what I do regularly when updating to a newer version, and I have indeed seen that advzfunctions switch when it was added to my config, but the comment line didn't explain properly what the switch does. Translating "enables more 3d features" to "enables diagonal tracks under bridges" was far from obvious, so I searched the wiki for the swtich page, and found nothing (all other switches seem to be there, though).
One after one, by the star-dogged Moon,
Too quick for groan or sigh,
Each turned his face with a ghastly pang,
And cursed me with his eye.

-- Samuel T. Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
aahz77
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by aahz77 »

aahz77 wrote:
DaleStan wrote:
aahz77 wrote:Could it be possible to have a "combined" changelog that lists all changes within a certain period, e.g. of the last 3, 6, or 12 months?
Will try at home. But the syntax is correct if you're executing the command in the working copy directory (otherwise you have to add the repository path). <date> has the format {yyyy-mm-dd}. I think I will omit the "v"(erbose) option as I don't need to know all the files that have been m/a/d'ed in each rev.
Update: With

svn log http://svn.ttdpatch.net/trunk -r {2008-11-01}:HEAD
I get a 405 (Method not allowed). It has to be

svn log svn://svn.ttdpatch.net/trunk -r {2008-11-01}:HEAD
And I think it is much more comfortable to read the log messages with the repo browser of TortoiseSVN than the CLT output (see attached screenshot). But thanks anyway.
Attachments
TTDP_RepoBrowser.png
TortoiseSVN Repo Browser example
(39.62 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
One after one, by the star-dogged Moon,
Too quick for groan or sigh,
Each turned his face with a ghastly pang,
And cursed me with his eye.

-- Samuel T. Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

wallyweb wrote:As in
or
?
The former. The very end. After everything else.
But, given that Start in,

C:\MPS\TTWin95\ttdpatchw.exe -C ttdpatch.cfg -Xn newgrf.cfg -W ttdpatch.cfg
would also work.

aahz77 wrote:This is what I do regularly when updating to a newer version, and I have indeed seen that advzfunctions switch when it was added to my config, but the comment line didn't explain properly what the switch does. Translating "enables more 3d features" to "enables diagonal tracks under bridges" was far from obvious, so I searched the wiki for the swtich page, and found nothing (all other switches seem to be there, though).
I guess JGR didn't add a wiki page. I'll add one in a few days -- this computer is in the habit of randomly dropping keypresses, <CTRL+...> especially. (Yes, the "get a new keyboard" joke has come back to bite me.)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

DaleStan wrote:But, given that Start in,

C:\MPS\TTWin95\ttdpatchw.exe -C ttdpatch.cfg -Xn newgrf.cfg -W ttdpatch.cfg
would also work.
wallyweb learns yet another [not so] stupid Windows trick. Thank you. :bow:
... and for that inveterate folder user that likes to break everything down into folders (I'm innocent I tell ya! :roll: ) and rename files too, we give you this:

C:\MPS\TTWin95\ttdpatchw2072.exe -C funnyFolderName\Cdn_ttdpatch.cfg -Xn funnyFolderName\Cdn_newgrf.cfg -W funnyFolderName\Cdn_ttdpatch.cfg
(tested in the IT labs of the crazy wallyweb guy)
DaleStan wrote:(Yes, the "get a new keyboard" joke has come back to bite me.)
/me does't say a wo d about DaleStan's c azy Keyboa d t icks :mrgreen:
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Bennythen00b wrote:I am just curious why (some of) you guys play TTDP instead of OpenTTD. (Or both.)
Is there any more functions in TTDP? Or is it because it feels more "rustic"? (Didnt find any better words..)
Here's my two cents...

I don't know quite what it is about OTTD, but it just feels that bit too different. It seems that after so long playing TTDP i just can't seem to comprehend switching to OTTD and adjusting to the different ways of doing a few things.
Last known as: Weirdy
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

That's what i though, too :)
It is the same with me, only the other way :wink:
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

SkeedR, Bennythen00b wrote: [OT]
Could you please refrain from hijacking this thread? Thanks. 8)

regards
Michael
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

michael blunck wrote:
SkeedR, Bennythen00b wrote: [OT]
Could you please refrain from hijacking this thread? Thanks. 8)

regards
Michael
/me points to the topic ... :mrgreen:
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

wallyweb wrote:/me points to the topic ... :mrgreen:
Well, it´s outdated.

Fortunately enough we did find a far better theme than the usual what-is-better:-TTDPatch-or-OTTD-discussion. No need to return to the originally flawed subject, IMO.

regards
Michael
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

michael blunck wrote:Well, it´s outdated.
Not really ... The ancillary discussion arose out of the topic discussion and has been resolved (I think) and now its back to business as usual - a pleasant discussion of the differences, which discussion just happens to have led to the discovery of features that are occasionally missed by some (such as me :D ), a most positive side effect.

So far, what I have noticed is that for some, the attraction for one implementation or the other is the respective feature mix. For others, it is simply a comfort factor for one or the other, sort of like being right handed or left handed (Unfortunately I am neither - I am underhanded :D ). I do envy the ambidextrous among us for, if they have two PC's, they could play both games at once. 8)

I just had a thought that could drive the devs in both camps absolutely nuts. Wouldn't it be neat if we could network an OTTD game with a TTDPatch one, superimposing small maps over larger ones and vice versa? THIS IS JUST A JOKE! OK? :mrgreen:
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

I did hope this would die naturally after the thread author got the answers he was seeking, locked as requested by author.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."

Return to “General TTDPatch”