signalling/routing help: train goes to red signal

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

ttdnewfie
Engineer
Engineer

signalling/routing help: train goes to red signal

Post by ttdnewfie »

hi. in the screenshot below, the train marked with the red arrow goes to the middle exit signal and stops. I don't understand why it didn't go to the exit signal to its left. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks for the help.
routing.gif
routing.gif (117.25 KiB) Viewed 3531 times
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: signalling/routing help: train goes to red signal

Post by JGR »

You should replace the two signals at the entrance with two-way signals, this will cause an open (green signal) route to be taken preferentially. With one-way signals, trains will use the best (shortest) route even if that means waiting at a signal instead of using a free route...

Signal behaviour (amongst other things) is described in more detail here: http://uwe.s2000.ws/ttdx/signal/index.php?lang=en
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
ttdnewfie
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ttdnewfie »

JGR wrote:With one-way signals, trains will use the best (shortest) route even if that means waiting at a signal instead of using a free route...

Signal behaviour (amongst other things) is described in more detail here: http://uwe.s2000.ws/ttdx/signal/index.php?lang=en
ok, thanks for explaining it. But I don't see anywhere on the site you linked where this is explained. On this page I did find this quote: "This does only work if two-way signals are used!" and now that you've explained it to me, I think I can decipher the meaning of this sentence, but before you explained it, that sentence was complete gibberish. I realize that the author of that site doesn't speak english as his first language, so I don't mean to be too hard on him. I just want to point out that to a beginner that site isn't helpful at all. It's inarticulate and poorly organized. The section on pre-signals, located here would be a great place for the author to mention this little tidbit about one way signals. It seems kind of important.

Anyway, thanks again, and I don't mean to rant, I only mean to let the community know that this site isn't suitable as a reference.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

ttdnewfie wrote:I realize that the author of that site doesn't speak english as his first language, so I don't mean to be too hard on him. I just want to point out that to a beginner that site isn't helpful at all. It's inarticulate and poorly organized. [...]
Possibly Uwe didn´t include this explicitly because it´s an original TTD feature, and not a new one introduced by TTDPatch. And BTW, I don't mean to be too hard on you, but exactly this question had come up a thousand times before in this place. The forums has a search function and a FAQ which are there for a reason.

regards
Michael
Uwe
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Uwe »

Actually, the information is included here. I understand that the organisation of the pages could be improved, I'm not too happy about it myself. Given the amount of information (and the complexities of advanced signalling) it is quite difficult to come up with a site organisation that satisfies everyone.

Return to “General TTDPatch”