Installer

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

WWTBAM

Installer

Post by WWTBAM »

I have attempted to create an installer for TTDPatch that installs TTDPatch ready for a windows user to start playing right away. It expects they have installed TTD already though. It puts the patch and mkpttxt.exe in the folder they select and asks them to run mkpttxt at the end. It installs beta 9. Please test it and tell me what else you think it needs.
Attachments
Setup.zip
(620.57 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
Last edited by WWTBAM on 13 Oct 2008 05:33, edited 2 times in total.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: Installer

Post by DaleStan »

There's no need to run mkpttxt unless you have or need a modified ttdpttxt.txt.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I shall leave it in the install in case it is needed by anyone. Should I include a sample ttdpatch.cfg and newgrf.cfg? If yes to ttdpatch.cfg i'll want you guys to come up with a some decent starting base cfgs that work and can be modified if the user finds something they want to tweak.
edit should I include a tram grf? Also should I force it on them or add it as a commented out entry in the newgrf.cfg? Would it depend on the grf?
edit I have permission to include generic trams in the installer. So now I would like your opinion as to weather it should be commented out or not in the newgrf.cfg.
edit For the example cfgs, I was thinking a Basic Easy Medium Hard and Realistic. If people can submit their ideas as to which switches would be on and off for each sample cfg. Thankyou.
edit some suggestions for the basic cfg

Code: Select all

Trams on
Buildonslopes on
most of the new graphics switches as I am including a newgrf.cfg with an example or two.
Attachments
Setup.zip
(620.57 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

After a re think I will include only one cfg which will be a basic one to get the user started. Should I include an example of how to set grf parameters in the newgrf.cfg? Maybe using the default ttdpbase ones?
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

That might be worth adding, robotboy. About mkpttxt.exe: I thought there was a new way to add custom texts to TTD, by using a grf. Not sure how widely that system is used and how widespread the old system was (is) but I sincerely think you can keep it out of the zip. Size-wise it doesn't change much though.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I might aswell leave it in there. I wouldn't mind it if people could help post suggestions as to what they consider to be basic switches and whether they should be on or off. Should I include a configuration utility or point to TTDPC and TTDXC in the readme that is to be written. Once I am satisfied with it I will release source plus all the files included in it as a zip so that when a new beta is released and the stable when it eventually comes out, it can be added and released with the official release and not late. One last thing for this post is that the installer does not use the registry in anyway and thus means no admin rights are needed.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Fair warning: What follows are opinions stated as fact.

If you suggest or include a config utility, suggest TTDPC.

Start with what 2.5 b9 produces as a default config, and go from there.
newcargos is default off; it should be turned on, as shoud miscmods, and experimentalfeatures should both be set to 0, not off, so all the bits appear. Similarly, disasters should be set to 255, for the same reason, unless you choose to disable the UFO disasters.
Most of the morebuildoptions bits should be on.
locomotiongui.defaultnewgui should definitely be off, as should pathbasedsignalling. extpresignals and presignals should both be on, though. Semaphores can go either way; it's nice eye-candy, but it's just eye-candy. startyear should be off unless you provide appropriate newgrf sets.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I am hoping the next version after this will be the final release. I have added TTDPC and a sample ttdpatch.cfg to the tune of DaleStan's Suggestions. All I need to do now is write a readme and have you guys test it.
Attachments
Setup.zip
(980.73 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I hope for this to be the 2nd last version before the final release for this round. I would like people to test it and make suggestions for the readme and if they think I could or should change the wording of any of the text on any of the pages.
Attachments
Setup.zip
(979.97 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I am considering reviving this project and am wondering what other people think should be in a TTDPatch installer. I am also wondering how other members think I should manage the development of the installer. I believe that once an agreed package list is created and then an installer that installs that list without anything extra, it should be made as public as possible and included with the TTDPatch source and managed on the same server like Open does. It would be written in NSIS like my previous attempt. NSIS is free and used by many programs and does not require a major changes to update the version of the program being installed and any texts referring to the version being installed.
edit I forgot to include a list of what I think should be included.
I would include
  • ttdpatch.exe
    ttdpbasew.grf for the version being installed
    a blank newgrf.cfg to solve the problem of users not knowing how to create one
    maybe ttdpc
    maybe generic trams so that users have a TTD style tramset. maybe because it includes artic rvs

Return to “General TTDPatch”