Potential moreairports changes, pursuant to todo

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Potential moreairports changes, pursuant to todo

Post by DaleStan »

In the todo exists the line

Code: Select all

- Airport number: Make noise units depend on city size!
  all cities have 2 at least, up to 400 inhabitants, where
  they get another one.  Then every 300(?) they get one more.  Up to?
This would mean that all towns permit a small airport, or up to two heliports, but towns under 400 residents will not allow a large airport, and towns will have to reach 1300 before they will allow 2 large airports.

On the other hand, a town of 5000 would allow up to 6 large airports, 9 small airports, or 18 heliports -- essentially unlimited.

If I were to do this, how much wailing and gnashing of teeth would ensue?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Potential moreairports changes, pursuant to todo

Post by athanasios »

The suggestion is good, but the population numbers used are wrong.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

The suggestion isn't too bad, I'd suggest a figure closer to every 500 inhabitants with a roof at the 9th increase (not sure about the roof number, but it would stop spamming of airports).
Of course the best way would also be provide a switch so people can change this number to what suits them (with a minimum of 300 and maximum of 1,000)?

What's the actual usage noise units for each airport type?

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Lakie wrote:What's the actual usage noise units for each airport type?
Exactly what the wiki says, unless I change it.

Belugas is planning to use 3/5/1 and 3 units + 1 unit/2000 population. This is a lot stricter; you wouldn't get your first large airport until 4000, and you wouldn't get a second one until 14000. Then again, I haven't exceeded this limit in my most recent game, at least not as far as I can tell.
This could limit freight airports, but I've never been successful moving freight by plane.

It's be easy enough to put the 400/300 above, or this 2000 into the config, but providing both the current and 3/5/1 systems might be problematic.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

I do not know if "strict" is the right word, to be honest.
I've played a bit around with the system tonight and... frankly, if it was just me, they would be far more bigger.

The 2000 population limit seems more fair to me as it is now (on my code), lifted at 2500, at least.
This is our "neutral" town council tolerance setting.
The "permissive" one, from 800, has been changed to 1500.
And the "hostile", from 4000, is now sitting at 5000.

the 3/5/1 pattern seems to be the most reasonable one, from what i've seen on our side. Don't forget we have a few more airports.
So the other ones would have a bit of an unbalance compared to the ones we share.

So a town of 26k inhabitants would have a noise tolerance of 20, which can give us up to 6 small airports, plus 2 helipads, which is not too bad at all, if you ask me :)
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Assuming population counts are per town and not per map, how about:
Heliports: Unlimited as to population and quantity. (Assuming heliports are used as short hop feeder services into a local airport)
Small Airport: One for population up to 500, then one per each additional 500 population. (500 gets one small airport; 501 gets two; ... )
Large Airport: One for population 500 to 1000, then one per each additional 1000 population. (1000 gets one large airport; 1001 gets two; ... )
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

wallyweb wrote:(500 gets one small airport; 501 gets two; ... )
(1000 gets one large airport; 1001 gets two; ... )
Could I convince you that 499/500 and 999/1000 are acceptable instead? Please?

And it seems a little illogical to me that a town of 1001 with three small airports will allow 2 larges, but no more smalls.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

DaleStan wrote:Could I convince you that 499/500 and 999/1000 are acceptable instead? Please?
Yes. Actually, those were my first thoughts, which I should have stayed with.
And it seems a little illogical to me that a town of 1001 with three small airports will allow 2 larges, but no more smalls.
It seems a little illogical to me that a town of 1001 would have more than one small airport, but then this is TTDX. Maybe CS was only counting heads of families, in which case we would actually have a population of 3503.5 where large airports are more logical. :wink: (Don't ask where I got the 3.5 from. It think I read 2.5 kids/family somewhere).

Think 5 airports rather than 3 small + 2 large.

Is it possible to have a total airport 'count per population' limit, with one large = two small? For example, a 1001 (1000?) town could have a limit of 6 airports with a choice of 6 small + 0 large, 4 small + 1 large, 2 small + 4 large or 0 small + 3 large?

Return to “General TTDPatch”