New Transparency GUI discussion

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: New Transparency GUI discussion

Post by wallyweb »

Three crash logs are attached.

I can't be sure as to the cause as these crashes occurred under varying circumstances at different stages of the game, but the common factors appear to be that the Transparency GUI options panel is open and they only happened since r1852. transgui2 was not loaded. In the first two crashes, I was using the mouse to scroll across the map.

The zip includes the newgrf configuration as well as three save games. The first game was saved before r1852 and was incident free up to that point. The first crash occurred before I was able to do the second save. The second crash occurred after the second save but before the third. The third crash occurred after the third save. All the crashes happened while I was working on the part of the map that has all the coal mines.
Attachments
crash_logs.zip
(452.87 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

The crashes are in landscape drawing, but I can't reproduce it. Could you zip up (or otherwise compress; I can decompress basically anything) your newgrf folder and send it my way, please? (If it's too large to attach, send it to my username at gmail.com.) Also, your resolution settings, the zoom level, and the transparency settings may all be significant.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

resolution settings:
- Monitor - 800x600
- Patch - resolutionwidth 796 + resolutionheight 548
- Game - Mode 1 - In a window - Windows mouse pointer
zoom level - full zoom at time of crash
transparency settings - All settings at state 1 no transparency, having just come out of trees state 3 and industries state 3.
The crashes are in landscape drawing
I had just knocked down some hills and built roads around and through some of the coal mines.

zip sent by email ... enjoy.
gmail wrote:Gag! Hack! Choke! Splutter! POWER PUKE!
Even for gmail I had to cut it up into bite size pieces. Oh well ... You did ask for it. :mrgreen:
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

OK. As of tonight (r1865), the crashes should be gone; I wrote something that should never have worked, and so TTD helpfully crashed in someplace just about as unrelated as possible.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: New Transparency GUI - One Way Roads

Post by wallyweb »

I would like to lock my one-way road settings so that they are saved between TTDX sessions.
If I "Quit Game" my settings are saved.
If I "Quit" and return to Windows, the setting defaults to off when I start a new session.
I am unable to set my desired initial value for this option.
It's a small thing and only needs a couple of clicks to get it going again in a new session, but it is driving this old man further into dementia which in turn makes it ever more difficult to remember to turn the silly thing back on with every new session of TTDX.

Is this a bug or is this one of those TTDX peculiarities one has to live with?

Also, "moretransopts.hideoneway on // Hide one-way indicators when road toolbar is closed" seems to be backwards. I have to have this set to "on" in order to show/keep one-way indicators when the toolbar is closed.

Also, if I read the wiki right, lockoneway only applies to whether or not the hot key (t) is accessible. Is this correct?

Also (and this is just me being picky) are the one-way road symbols "Transparent" or "invisible"?

Here are my Patch settings:

Code: Select all

moretransopts.hideoneway on      // Hide one-way indicators when road toolbar is closed
moretransopts.lockoneway off               // Lock setting for one-way indicators
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

wallyweb wrote:I would like to lock ...
Don't use that word in this context, please. "Lock" has a rather different meaning in the context of transparency, which I'll get to later.
wallyweb wrote:... my one-way road settings so that they are saved between TTDX sessions.
Then set the content of ttdpatch.cfg so the desired behaviour appears by default.
wallyweb wrote:If I "Quit" and return to Windows, the setting defaults to off when I start a new session.
Which setting? Hide defaults to on; lock defaults to off. Both of these are specified by your config.
wallyweb wrote:Is this a bug or is this one of those TTDX peculiarities one has to live with?
This is a TTDX peculiarity. I checked before I implemented it, and even in TTDX, transparency was reset when you "Quit to (DOS|Windows)", but not when you "Quit Game".
wallyweb wrote:"moretransopts.hideoneway on // Hide one-way indicators when road toolbar is closed" seems to be backwards. I have to have this set to "on" in order to show/keep one-way indicators when the toolbar is closed.
I think you're reading it backwards. If hideoneway is on, the one-way indicators default to hidden. [0] If hideoneway is off, they default to displayed.
wallyweb wrote:if I read the wiki right, lockoneway only applies to whether or not the hot key (t) is accessible. Is this correct?
If lock$FOO is on, then [t] will not toggle the state of $FOO. Is that what you said?
wallyweb wrote:Also (and this is just me being picky) are the one-way road symbols "Transparent" or "invisible"?
They are "hidden" (or not) or "invisible" (or not), depending on which text you are looking at. They are never explicitly associated with the word "transparent".
wallyweb wrote:Here are my Patch settings:

moretransopts.hideoneway on      // Hide one-way indicators when road toolbar is closed
moretransopts.lockoneway off               // Lock setting for one-way indicators
I see nothing unexpected there. When I start the game, one-way indicators are hidden. [0]
When I press [t], at least one unlocked item is transparent or invisible[1], so those items[2] are toggled to visible.
When I press [t] again, no unlocked items are transparent or invisible, so all unlocked items[2] are toggled to ... something[3].
One-way indicators toggle between displayed and hidden. All other items toggle between visible and transparent/invisible; if the item is visible, it becomes transparent unless the last change of that item's visibility was a hotkey-toggle from invisible.

[0] Except when the road building toolbar is open, but the transparency GUI and hotkey don't care about that detail.
[t] Not A Footnote.
[1] One-way indicators are invisible. [0]
[2] Including one-way indicators.
[3] One-way indicators become invisible again. [0]
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

DaleStan wrote:
wallyweb wrote:I would like to lock ...
Don't use that word in this context, please. "Lock" has a rather different meaning in the context of transparency, which I'll get to later.
Also redundant :oops: ... How about:
"I would like to save my one-way road settings between TTDX sessions."?
wallyweb wrote:... my one-way road settings so that they are saved between TTDX sessions.
Then set the content of ttdpatch.cfg so the desired behaviour appears by default.
Exactly what I'm trying to do. :)
wallyweb wrote:If I "Quit" and return to Windows, the setting defaults to off when I start a new session.
Which setting? Hide defaults to on; lock defaults to off. Both of these are specified by your config.
Hide defaults to off, assuming this means that I will be able to see the one-way indicators when I start a new game/load a saved game in a new session.
wallyweb wrote:Is this a bug or is this one of those TTDX peculiarities one has to live with?
This is a TTDX peculiarity. I checked before I implemented it, and even in TTDX, transparency was reset when you "Quit to (DOS|Windows)", but not when you "Quit Game".
I think this answers my question. I'll simply have to live with setting the Hide default to off with each new session.
wallyweb wrote:"moretransopts.hideoneway on // Hide one-way indicators when road toolbar is closed" seems to be backwards. I have to have this set to "on" in order to show/keep one-way indicators when the toolbar is closed.
I think you're reading it backwards. If hideoneway is on, the one-way indicators default to hidden. [0] If hideoneway is off, they default to displayed..
moretransopts.hideoneway off :
- one-way indicators remain visible in game after quitting game and then restarting it.
- one-way indicators do not remain visible in game after quitting to Windows and then restarting it, but the button is in the "off" position and must be recycled.
moretransopts.hideoneway on :
- one-way indicators remain visible in game after quitting game and then restarting it.
- one-way indicators do not remain visible in game after quitting to Windows and then restarting it. Tthe button is in the "on" position and must be set to off.
wallyweb wrote:if I read the wiki right, lockoneway only applies to whether or not the hot key (t) is accessible. Is this correct?
If lock$FOO is on, then [t] will not toggle the state of $FOO. Is that what you said?
yes.
wallyweb wrote:Also (and this is just me being picky) are the one-way road symbols "Transparent" or "invisible"?
They are "hidden" (or not) or "invisible" (or not), depending on which text you are looking at. They are never explicitly associated with the word "transparent".
Understood. Thanks.
wallyweb wrote:Here are my Patch settings:

I see nothing unexpected there. When I start the game, one-way indicators are hidden. [0]
When I press [t], at least one unlocked item is transparent or invisible[1], so those items[2] are toggled to visible.
When I press [t] again, no unlocked items are transparent or invisible, so all unlocked items[2] are toggled to ... something[3].
One-way indicators toggle between displayed and hidden. All other items toggle between visible and transparent/invisible; if the item is visible, it becomes transparent unless the last change of that item's visibility was a hotkey-toggle from invisible.

[0] Except when the road building toolbar is open, but the transparency GUI and hotkey don't care about that detail.
[t] Not A Footnote.
[1] One-way indicators are invisible. [0]
[2] Including one-way indicators.
[3] One-way indicators become invisible again. [0]
He's using logic on me, isn't he? :wink:

Thanks DaleStan. :bow:
It's all much clearer to me now ...

... I think.

Why did this conversation just make me feel like my name is George?
:mrgreen:
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

wallyweb wrote:moretransopts.hideoneway off :
- one-way indicators do not remain visible in game after quitting to Windows and then restarting it, but the button is in the "off" position and must be recycled.
Oh. That, however, is a bug.

Return to “General TTDPatch”